Working at AT&T — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AT&T pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AT&T

From Pueblo, CO — 06/15/2010

To be completely honest, I must have been the only employee that enjoyed my job at at&t. YES, they have rules, YES, you must show up to work, YES, you must learn the systems and be nice to the customers. I started out as a customer service rep answering phone calls just like anyone else. I didn't mind it so much, you do get the occasional person who is so angry you can almost see them throwing their phone out the window of a speeding automobile. However, on those calls, you just work thru them as best you can. If everyone who worked for any company gave it their all, things would run a lot smoother. I can't even add up the amount of people who have the WORST attitudes about their jobs or their customers. The reason these companies have the rules that they do about attendance and call quality is because in the past people just didn't want to work! They didn't show up and when they did their work ethic was horrifying! They would do nothing they were supposed to and still collected their check. I was brought up with an understanding that in order to keep a job and keep those paychecks flowing, you have to learn that job and perform to the best of your ability. If you can honestly say that you are doing this and still have a lot of problems, then I'm sorry for you and perhaps you should check with your union rep. But please keep in mind a little saying when your complaining about the rules that this company has set forth. "The sins of a few will affect the many". Unfortunately the company had no choice but to impose these rules, I don't blame them and neither should anyone else.

From St. Louis, MO — 04/14/2010

Personally, I have worked for MObility for 2 years, almost 3 and have been at 2 different stores. It all depends on your management team - my first location was terrible! Bad management - got wrote up for not wearing a bluetooth on the sales floor - manager had "Favorites" who would not get into any trouble or get put on steps of disicpline, so I opted to transfer. I moved 2 hours away to St. Louis in a brand new store & I Love it here. If it wasnt for my new store & management team, I would have quit a year ago. Its a pretty simple job - hit your numbers - you are in SALES, and when you SELL your expected to hit & exceed your GOALS. If you can't sell, you need to find a different position in the company or go elsewhere. I do not fully agree with the point system, however, this is a business. Business must be staffed in order to hit our goals. Most of those points were up to manager discretion, I must be blessed to have a good manager who is very understanding & does not give points for sick children, emergencies, traffic, etc. Only if you do not have a good exscuse do you get your point.

As far as promotions - you can go from Retail Sales to Assistant Manager to Store Manager fairly easily - but then there is a bit of a "freeze". It's hard to get promoted to anything higher unless you are willing to relocate or go to another branch of the company.

Yes, as in any job, I have my bad days - and I will rag on AT&T just like everyone can - but all in all - its a really great company to work for. I do not see myself staying here forever, but at least a few more years.

From Richardson, TX — 04/08/2010

I started with SBC Communications back in 1998. I worked ten years, gaining praise from every manager I reported to. Then, in December 2008, I was transfered (I had no say) to another department. Initially it sounded like a good thing. Once I realized the boss was a complete waste of human flesh, it was too late.
Up to December 2008, I would have thought I'd be with 'the phone company' until I was an old man.
I tolerated the verbal abuse, accusations of "integrity issues" and accusations of "poor performance" until May 2008. I gave it the ol' college try. I fired my boss! Sent an "I quit, take this job and shovel it" e-mail to her and her boss. Left!
I have to say, leaving at&t was one of the best things I've ever done! I'm happier in my new job, I have better pay and the people I work with, and for a really top notch. Okay, so I don't get practically free U-Verse anymore ... BIG WHOOP! I wouldn't give at&t another red cent anyways!

Oh yeah ... that "unwritten" rule, that you must work 50 hours a week. Well, it's unwritten for a reason.
In my new job, my new boss acknowledges hard work. After spending 12 hours at my desk, the next day he asks me to go home at lunch!

SBC used to be good. With the at&t merger, they squandered everything good. They're now, "inbred uncle twice removed Bell" not the 'new' ma' Bell. Everyone who's good, left already! I don't have high hopes for my remaining stock options :(

From San Diego, CA — 03/22/2010

I was stoked when I was hired here...10 years ago. I never thought I would last as long as I did...almost 10 years! By the time I quit, I was making almost $30/hr plus bonuses which is ridiculous!!!!! I made over $70,000 on my last tax return. The benefits were awesome too. However, I really wanted to move up, but was never given the opportunity to do so. The only people that got to climb were the "favored",no matter how much I proved ability, initiative, and desire. Once I saw that I was in a no-win battle and the job requirements started to change, my performance started to suffer. I ended up quitting. In the end, I can say I would have loved to continue to work there, but not as a Customer Service Rep. That position is frustrating to say the least. Now, my friends who still work there say they don't even get payouts on what they sell anymore, but they are still required to sell. The company has changed from when it was Pacific Bell...I don't like it anymore.

From Wheeling, WV — 03/15/2010

I work in a call center that has only been open for a year and a half - but it is completely different than the experiences that were previously posted. I have worked in other AT&T locations, as well as other telecommunication companies... so I've seen the good, bad, ugly and uglier.

This is still considered a smaller call center with about 14 -15 managers. You can easier tell that the director, second level managers and almost all the first line managers really care about doing their jobs well. Sometimes the high energy seems fake or forced but there is good intentions behind it. Morale is high, we have fun at work. We often have pot lucks, themed days... just something to change up the normal mundane day. i dont dread coming to work.

The pay is good for this area and the benefits are nice. Answering phones is easy, but stressful. Yes, there is a lot we have to say, and now we are focusing on selling. They are not asking for anything unrealistic. The better you do, the more money you can make. depends on your quality scores and how many features you can sell. If you are good with transition and making changes daily/weekly, you will be successful.

Thankful to have a job. especially now. This is the best review I could give, no brown nosing since its annoyomous. With any company, there is good and bad. Just like there are good & bad employees. i would recommend a friend to work for this company if that means anything.

From CA — 03/12/2010

The Good: people, hours, benefits
The Bad: micro-managed, use of fear tactics (you will lose your job if x, y, or z)
The Ugly: We waste a hell of a lot of paper everday

From BHAM.AL — 02/13/2010

Well, I will begin working at AT&T FEB 16TH as a Customer Assistant, does anybody have info about this job? Everyone on here so far seems to be a sales rep.

From IL — 02/06/2010

Gee, is it really that bad? I work in a call center as a CSR and it's certainly not as bad as people claim. If you have a good manager, then you'll be alright. As long as you hit the stats and do good on surveys, you'll be OK. You have union representation, vacation and sick days that can be used anytime, guaranteed raises and you're guaranteed full time work...which is a luxury nowadays. Overtime is offered periodically, you don't have to dress up, you don't have to kiss anyones' ass as the union guarantees you a raise.

Sure, it's a dead end job. Sure, I'd rather be doing something else for a living. It's just not as bad as people claim to be. The problem I see is that manager constantly complain about the high turnover. Well, it's the managers who are hiring these misfits..who seem to not understand how use the systems, talk to people, not take things personally if a customer gripes and who tend to eat at their desks. Oh no! There's actually rules to follow, how evil.

You get great benefits that you immediately qualify for, unlike other companies that make you wait up to a year to qualify.

The reviews here are evidence that Americans are getting increasingly spoiled by the year.

And no, I'm not a brownoser yes man..in fact I rip on the managers constantly.

Decent work environment, pay is decent, benefits EXCELLENT, great location, clueless managers who'll hire peopl because they had a great chat with them. There wouldn't be such a high turnover if managers didn't hire the wrong people.

From augusta, georgia — 11/05/2009

hardcore this is a good company but sales jobs can be brutal just expect this to be hard but expect to be rewarded

From Arizona — 10/20/2009