Working at ASDA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ASDA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ASDA

From Scotland — 01/30/2010

When I started at the store a bit over a year ago I really hated it, utterly despised the place, I'm on a 16 hour contract working confusing hours, and (as it was my first job, and I'm actually quite shy) I was really nervous about starting work. My department manager was lovely though, as were many of the coleagues I worked with.

However, I soon found out that you cannot afford to be shy in ASDA, I found it to be very cliquey, and there to be a LOT of gossiping etc. Also, it seemed that many of those in the store were coming into work absolutely wrecked most weeks and expecting the rest of us to just cover them. This, combined with the stresses a job in ASDA provides (i.e, being expected to be able to help everyone at once and know everything about the store) made me really dread coming into work in the morning, and I felt like the managers were looking at me, saying to themselves "Why did I hire her?" as I did begin to make many silly mistakes.

This has, admittedly, gotten better over the past few months, I have become less shy and began speaking to more people, which does make the job more enjoyable (though Fridy nights on create your own pizzas will never cease to be a nightmare), and I have learned how to handle ASDA the bes way, i.e. Just go with it.

ASDA is not, as they would have you believe, the best place to work for all, although for some, for a certain type of person, it is actually really good. Unfortunately, if you are not that person, it is VERY difficult to adjust to.

From Shrewsbury — 01/11/2010

I cant believe how ungrateful some of these comments are!
Yeah okay its only like 6.22 per hour but you get so much more from the company.
All our managers are easy to talk to, very approachable and always down for a laugh, same with our colleagues but everyone in our store works hard.
Everyone gets on with each other, we are like one big happy family.
I love my job and in this current economic climate i value it with everything i have, unlike some of you ungrateful people, if your that bothered then leave?!

From Kilmarnock — 08/31/2009

OK, so not the best job in the world. But definately not the worst. I'm a full time student and have a base contract of one shift. When I have a busy week at uni, I work only one day. When I have a quiet week, my manager 'flexes' me in for several other shifts. Perfect job for students.

From Stanley — 02/04/2009

I love my job and my colleagues, management is overworked and sometimes we bear the fallout, don't always manage to squeeze a break in and can't organise homelife because never know when I'll be working but overall at least I get a great workout and am payed a decent rate for it.

From Trafford Park — 10/21/2008

I honestly love my job. Ive only been there a couple of weeks now, but i honestly love it. I'm a student at the moment on part time (15 hours), so the pay is ok for me. Respect ive given a five because the managers ive worked with up to now are fantastic and really try to get to know the staff members.

I havent been there long enough to claim my discount card so i cant really give an accurate score on the benefits they provide.

As for job security, its retail. Retail is the one business that can survive anything and its the one place where your most likely to have the best job security.

Work/life balance is great, i spend a lot of time studying or doing coursework and its not like my work at asda follows me home and distracts me from that.

I have been thinking about possibly going onto the stepping stones scheme, but i havnt really had a chance to get to know more about it therefore i have only given it a 4.

Location is brilliant, literally a stones throw away from the almighty Trafford Center, a great place to mooch around some shops or go see a movie when you've finished your shift.

All my co-workers are great. As soon as i started work they made me feel part of the team and really connected with me. It's great knowing that when i get up to go to work i know that i'm going to enjoy it thanks to all the guys and gals i work with.

Work enviroment is also fabulous. The managers come in and have a laugh with you, most of the time customers are glad you are there and i have always enjoyed helping people out so when i find something in the back for someone, it really gives me a great feeling.

Overall i think it's a brilliant place to work and i wouldnt leave for anything else.

From Lanarkshire — 06/16/2008

I am so shocked to read about those people totally hating working for ASDA. I absolutely love the place! Not overly love it but as a place of work I think it is fantastic! The pay is kinda crap, but I am planning on progressing to management within the next year, and the money does improve as you go up. Retail is Retail, the money will never be great for shelf stackers, lets be honest! The managers are friendly, chat away to you and listen to your feedback and concerns. I get 10-15mins per week with my managager just for a chat - even if I have nothing work related to complain about. I get to try out different departments and if I'm struggling they train me or they move me! I feel genuinely sorry for the people who work in those ASDA stores, but it is not a reflection of ASDA as a whole. They should voice those concerns to their GSM!

From Manchester — 07/20/2007

The store I am in, in Hulme is excellent for managers respecting the colleagues and helping out. The pay isn't as good as other stores but in places like Tesco you can't be a minute late off your break, late or anything without getting into trouble. It is true that some managers show little respect for colleagues and that the kiosk and Customer service is generally undermanned when they are placed together. If you have a problem with them then go through the proper grievence procedures and it will eventually get sorted. I myself am applying for the stepping stones course as we speak and it all depends on the store manager and people manager how much effort is put into promoting the stepping stones to colleagues and they have "Improved" the way that it is done so hopefully i will be easier for colleagues to know what is going on with it. Colleagues seem generally dense where I am and seem to have lost initiative and common sense sometimes but the majority of the colleagues are the nicest people you'll ever meet in a supermarket job. The downside is some of the customers can be very disrespectful and get angry when you raise an eyebrow about it like you've done something wrong. Other than that I reckon it is a good job to do.