Working at ARAMARK — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ARAMARK pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ARAMARK

From West Coast — 03/27/2010

I work as a manager in the clinical engineering service line and have been with ARAMARK for over one year. My salary is significantly higher along with my level of responsibility than in my previous role with a competitor. I was told from week one my career development and learning curve would be steep and I was to play the major role in learning the business. I have a great set of subordinate managers, peer managers, and higher level managers who know the business extremely well. I have a lot more flexibility and autonomy to run my book of business according to my local client needs and concerns without overbearing corporate oversight. Expectations are cleary defined and easily measurable. It is refreshing to work for a privately held company with a long term growth strategy instead of the monthly/quarterly "dialing for dollars" mentality of a publicy traded company. Sure, financial goals are important, but successful long term client relationships and employee retention are even more important. There is little pressure to nickel and dime our clients and much focus on employee self development. I've read some of the other comments regarding low pay and have to ask "what have you done for your own self development and what sacrifices have you made to ensure your success"? This is America boys and girls, you are rewarded based on your contributions. No silver spoons here. If you want more pay, then put some more tools in your tool box to increase your value. Look the part and act the part. Take responsibility for your own growth and development. Nobody wants to work with a whiner. If you do have an issue, bring a solution to the table as well. ARAMARK is a great fit for me.

From Baton Rouge, LA — 03/07/2010

I really like my job. Obviously I wish I made more money (who doesn't??) but the travel opportunities and career growth potential makes up for it.

From Portlannd, Oregon — 09/02/2009

Al in all it's a great company to work for. It's not without its problems just like any other large organization. For the most part if you perform your duties you are recognized and rewarded. The pay isn't great considering the expectations but for the most part yoou are well treated and respected for your contributions.

From cleveland, OH — 08/13/2009

ARAMARK is a great company that offers a fun and exciting environment to work in. You may think that selling hot dogs and beer is easy, but it can be stressful. Fan want there food and drinks as fast as I can get it so they don't miss a second of the game or concert. And when the basketball season starts, we can work all the time! Great money, but a lot of work. I like my co-workers and we are friends outside of work. I love my regulars for the games too. The managers are nice and sometimes treat us to cookies, candies or ice cream on work days. They give away tshirts, coolers and other items for good customer service and being safe. We also get a free meal and all the soda you can drink when we work. I wouldn't want to be anywehere else than in LeBron's house this season! GO CAVS and thanks ARAMARK!

From Maryland — 05/25/2009

I am not going to lie to anyone about this. One, when I started with Aramark I was paid way more than people in foodservice would ever expect to make. Yes there are long hours, but I have worked in the hotel/resturant/resort field for years, so I was used to working 70-90 hours a week. I mean it is food service/property management, therefore only a moron would expect to work only a 40 hour week. Since being hired I have been promoted several times in the space of a couple of years, and I am now a manager. Yes, I do see some issues in regaurds to training of employees, managers, etc. But, I want to disagree with those who say they get no help from their managers, or that "All managers suck". I work 5:30a-7:30p M-Sat. Every week, I have not taking a vaction/PTo day for 2 years. I come in every morning and help my employees prep, cook, serve, clean, etc. My employees are not in a union which means that get yearly reviews and raises. Last years raise averaged 3.2 percent, which in this economy is wonderful. The last job I had I worked for a company that gave no raises for 8 years, and now my employees get a raise every year. However, if you are at a union account I understand since you would not get an yearly raise. In short, the company needs to work on training, but that is true with every company. The company pays better than most places in food service, most starting you at min wage or $2.85/hr for wait staff (again unless you are a union account were employees will make little pay). The company should spend more time training employees and less time worrying about safety gloves, I'm going to be honest if you have been trained on how to properly use a knife then you wont cut yourself, but wearing cutting gloves makes it hard to properly hold food (using finger tips like clawing in). Anyway, that is an honest opinion. If you don't like working long hours, around hot kitchens, with knives then you are working in the wrong line of work.

From Ohio — 01/21/2009

I work in office refreshments and enjoy my job. I feel respected and have a great relationship with my manager and my co-workers. It sounds like the refreshments division of Aramark may do things differently. I cannot speak for the other lines of business.

From Various — 12/31/2008

Aramark is all about what the individual decides to make of it. If you wait for someone to hand you an opportunity or a promotion, just like in the real world, it will never happen. However if you seek out opportunities for growth, they are bountiful. There are some accounts that are better than others, but it is all relatively easy. As long as you do your job, you cannot get fired. the HR processes for firing people is ludicrous at times, but always in favor of the employee. They generally do not hire skilled hourly labor in an attempt to lower labor costs which can make management challenging at times, but most of the hourly employees are very loyal and have been in their accounts for a good bit of time. After managing "regular" restaurants for years, I will never go back due to lack of work/life balance, lack of benefits, and lack of opportunity for promotion as compared to Aramark.

From Various Ohio — 10/03/2008

I worked for Aramark for 12 years. I worked in Healthcare and 1-12 Schools. I would say that your experience totally depends on who your district manager is and what account you are placed in. I had a few awesome DM's. Some of the accounts I was placed in had clients who were way too demanding. Because I was a contract employee they felt like they could treat me like dirt. It was a very difficult situation at times. The pay was decent and the benefits were comparable to the market. At the time I worked there I was able to buy company stock and I made a decent profit on that when I left. I am not sure if that is an option anymore. I would recommend to anyone who goes to work for them to try to get to know the client and DM before you start because they can make a difference and what your experience is.

From Philadelphia, PA — 08/03/2006

I work for a high level corporate position and have been with the company for about 3 years. It is a very operator driven decentralized company. As someone stated it does feel like a pyramid scheme at times. The top VP levels make very good money + bonus and other extras like company cars and so forth. The company is managed like a bank. If it does not make financial sense they will not do it (I mean sensitivity analysis, etc.). They pay below average and therefore can not hold onto or attract really good people (except at the VP level). Kissing arses are very common and there is good amount of politics. It is a very low margin business - so it is dog eat dog. Unless you are coming at a high level, make sure you like the person you will report into - otherwise you will think it is hell.