Working at AOL — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AOL pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AOL

From New York, NY — 08/12/2010

Management before and after they hired ex-Googlers is poor and conceited. The co-workers and environment are very friendly and helpful. However, it is highly political and promotions are based on who you know. The constant fear of getting the axe has always been a strain on the employees. After the massive layoff in Jan, many of the top talent at all levels quit and suddenly they are giving very generous bonuses to anyone they find that is hired.

From Columbus, Ohio — 12/30/2008

One of the best places I've ever worked in my entire information technology career. Although, it is the "LAYOFF QUEEN", and my job was shipped twice (2x)to India when working there ( I was called back a 2nd time - yes, I took it), I loved every minute of working with "cutting edge technologies" that would put some of my other employers to shame! There were many talented individuals, and many "skaters" - like any organization. The career potential was great if you had it long enough before they outsourced your job to India. Respect was awesome! Talk about "Fun", it was a very "Fun" place to work. All I can say is, "Hey Time Warner! Why aren't you taking some of your sisters and brothers into jobs?" Time Warner owns AOL, yet it is very difficult for former AOL people to transition into Time Warner entities! It would be nice if the mother ship whould take care of us all, but it was all good while it lasted.

From Dulles, VA — 10/04/2008

Pay is excellent. I've been in my industry for over ten years now and rarely do employers offer the amount I'm making for the type of work I'm doing.

I've never been disrespected in my entire time there. The people I've dealt with have been extremely positive and supportive. Very rare! Just goes to show if you pay your employees well you'll have less friction between them.

The benefits are the most extensive I've seen. Took me a while just to figure out what I wanted and didn't want.

Job security - well it's no secret they do layoffs throughout the year - you'd have to be living under a rock to not know that going in.

Work/life balance is excellent. There are times I've had to stay late but they aren't that often and not nearly what I'm used to in my line of work. Most everyone I know leaves on time. Some summers you get to take half days on Friday.

Location is great. If you live east of Dulles you luck out because traffic moves in the opposite direction.

As far as competence goes - like any job you have some that aren't as sharp as others - but overall most people there are hard working and know what they're doing.

The AOL campus is attractive and the work environment is comfortable and spacious.

I'll admit when I was originally approached about working for AOL I was hesitant. Their fall from grace certainly didn't leave a good taste in the mouths of the general public, and frankly who knows what their role is anymore. But, I took a chance and saw what they were doing and what they had to offer and I was impressed. My advice to anyone - if you're offered a job there take it. It may not last forever, but it's experience and you'll learn a lot being there, and you'll make good money doing it.