Working at Amgen — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Amgen pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Amgen

From Thousand Oaks, CA — 04/06/2010

Working at Amgen was the best job I ever had (when I joined), and the worst job I ever had (when I left). I worked there for a total of 5 years and left in 2008.

The company I joined was energetic, positive, professional, and there were a few actual leaders in my organization. As time went on, we got a new CIO with requisite re-org, which is when things came off the rails really fast.

My new manager was an individual that should not have been allowed near sharp objects. The entire executive team was staffed with unprofessional self serving egomaniacs that looked at front line staffers as nothing more than cannon fodder for their careers. I left the organization as quickly as I could, seeing the word RIF on the wall. Lo and behold, the RIFs started and as far as I can see have not abated since.

On the plus side, Amgen paid for my degree (every last penny!), gave me a huge amount of industry specific training, a contact list that is full of "A" tier talent, and a lot of great PHB type stories that I use to amaze my friends.

The salary was below industry standard, which they made up with a discretionary bonus, and the benefits were the best I have had in my career.

I am just happy I was able to see the last of the Amgen hey-days...they were good times!

From Thousand Oaks, CA — 03/03/2010

I left a good job at another Biotech to go and work for what I thought was a stable company that would offer me a bright future. Unfortunately Amgen was not what I had hoped it was. Don't let the posh surroundings fool you Amgen is always looking to bring people in and spit them out again without a second thought about the employee. If you work for them be prepared to be let go at any moment. You as the employee are just kleenex.... They can always grab another kleenex (new employee) from the never ending flood of applicants that are trying to get a job there. I enjoyed my job while I had it and did a spectacular job according to my reviews and was even promoted to another job before they let me go. The severance was very generous but to be let go in one of the worst economic climates in US history because Amgen wanted to do yet another unnessary re-org and then turn around 3 months later and hire nearly as many people that they let go in the RIF I was part of is rediculous at best. So bottom line: Yes Amgen is a good place to work but do not count on longevity there.

From Thousand Oaks, CA — 08/22/2007

Amgen, as a biotech company, pays very well in comparison to others. There is a great amount of politics and brown nosing in order for one to move up. Benefits are great (401K, vacation time, school paid for, etc.). Job security has become an issue lately due to the recent cut backs. Amgen has been great in providing fun events and activities, more than the majority of companies, and I feel that this helps in boosting moral. There is room for career growth if you know the right people, but at the same time, Amgen does pay your tuition to go back to school. Many of my co-workers are incompetent and this makes my job far more difficult than it needs to be. Work environment is sometimes stressful but I think this depends on what department you are in.

From Thousand Oaks, CA — 03/08/2007

A company that values things done the right way - not rushed. Well thought out processes can be time consuming and take $$$ but it is done properly.

From Boulder — 04/30/2006

Amgen seems like the ultimate place to work. The health insurance is awesome (name brands and generics are the same cheap price), they automatically put in 5% of your salary in your 401K and match up to an additional 5% of what you contribute. It is located in Colorful Colorado in "beautiful" boulder county. However, the grass only looks green, the work environment is a total gossip haven, people are very lazy, many people skip out over into other deparments after a year in a current position, and there is a lot of attitude to go around. The pipeline doesn't seem to have any "blockbusters" coming up and the patent runs out on the main money makers (Aranesp and Epogen) in two years. Pay is great - but not for the headache of the work environment and potential lay offs -I am saving and waiting to get another job.