Working at American Red Cross — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about American Red Cross pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at American Red Cross

From Peoria, IL — 08/18/2010

I love working for the American Red Cross. It is a humanitarian organization that focuses on compliance and providing a quality blood product for patients in need. I am thankful for the flexibility that I have been given within my position to meet my needs and those of my family. I am proud to be part of this organization!

From Philadelphia, PA — 11/13/2008

I'm going to start this by saying that my review is colored by the fact that I was terminated. I was fired for a Family and Medical Leave issue on which the Red Cross lawyers and my doctor disagreed. I was summarily dismissed. I am pretty bitter about it, but I really do believe in what I was doing at the Red Cross.

Pay: A lot of people complain about the pay, but when I look at similar jobs at other NGOs, I actually made about 5k more than I would have elsewhere.

Respect: I rated as high as a 1 because your coworkers will, in general respect you. Unfortunately, they respect you more than many members in management. I had coworkers get fussed at for having a potted plant in their cubicle, while I got away with my cubicle being completely trashed (shame on me, I know)!.

Benefits: The benefits were great. I could see any doctor and didn't need a referral. Mental health benefits needed some work, but were better than most insurance companies'.

Job security: If you've managed to survive a while, then you're pretty secure (hence why I rated -4 and not -5). Otherwise, you should be worried. I kept being told by other people that if someone "upstairs" took a disliking to you or felt like you were too much trouble, they'd get rid of you lightening fast. I always took that with a grain of salt until it happened to me -- right after I got a raise! The American Red Cross is far more focused on possibly getting sued externally than taking care of its employees. Their lawyers have either never heard of laws against "perceived disability" or they figure their former employees will just roll over and play dead.

Work/life balance: I rated this low because I'm single and have no dependents. There is a bit of a perception from management with families that you really have no life and therefore why on earth should you need time off or have any personal issues? Management is, of course, compensated for being on-call 24/7 and having to work longer hours...but I wasn't! I had to carry a phone all the time and even though it was supposed to be for emergencies I would get calls about the location of files on the network! It was painful to receive compensation time for scheduled extra hours as management within departments kept saying that if they made the policies official senior management would cut all compensation time. I worked non-traditional hours, and felt a little bullied every time I was told this. If I had not been able to take compensation time, I would have been scheduled to work over 50 hours a week, if not more. That, of course, doesn't include any time I might have chosen to work in order complete my tasks on time (I'm well aware that that would have been my own decision).

Job growth: There is little potential for job growth. Those who make it to higher positions tend to stay there, and upper management seems to prefer hiring from the outside rather than from within for management positions.

Location: The Philadelphia office at 23rd and Chestnut is at a great location. I was able to walk to work. For commuters, the Chapter building is located right off of major roadways and near parking garages.

Coworker Competence: I felt as though my co-workers were competent. I worked with a variety of people from different backgrounds, education, and experience.

Work Environment: Coworkers were great, environment was a little sterile. They had begun stricter monitoring of computers and installed extra surveillance cameras about the time I left. There was a perception that you shouldn't seek changes in policy. Some managers tended to micromanage.

From St. Louis, MO — 11/02/2008

I'm a part-time college student in a full-time Hospital Courier position for this company.
The pros: Honestly, for my position, things aren't to difficult. The people I normally see are all very friendly and competent about what they do. Using PTO normally isn't an issue and you can max out at around 200 or so hours of it. Not many people will notice if you show up less than 15 minutes late to clock in for the day (or in my case night). IF you have to drive between states (I mainly do), you only have to worry about getting TO your destination, and you can somewhat take your time getting back. Lastly, if things aren't to tight, your schedule rarely changes.

The cons: As a driver for the Red Cross, you'll have to come in NO MATTER how bad the weather gets; mega icy roads, snow, heavy rains, tornadoes, heck, you'll be driving in it and in an everyday minivan or a really rocky Sprinter to boot. It's also up to the weather to determine whether you spend 6, 8, or even 10 hours on the road. So only having to work 8 hours a day isn't guaranteed.

We only have limited drivers at my branch, so if one of us takes off, the others HAVE to fill in, even though other employees/volunteers can do the driving to. For example,sometime ago, one fellow driver was put on the schedule almost DAILY for 2 to 3 WEEKS.

I gave the company a 1 for career growth because as a driver, my branch didn't seem to like the idea of me moving around in the company to much. It didn't get a 0 because there's always several different jobs posted to choose from, but alas, I don't know if they'd even consider me at my current position.

I also gave them a 0 for work/life balance. This is because sometimes the company asks for to much out of me darn well knowing that I already told them I'm a college student. Imagine working the night shift, coming home and waking up at 3 or 4pm in the evening, then going to school within an hour of waking up, only to have to go back to work 1-2 hours after getting out of school. Now imagine that 4 days a week...Yea! TO tight!! So you could see a headache brewing a mile away if your job pushes you to do 5 or 6 days instead of your normal 4...

All in all, I'd say the Red Cross is an OK place to work for. Just don't consider them if you're thinking about school alongside it, because flexibility is a big thing up there.

From Akron, Ohio — 04/01/2008

My position at the American Red Cross has a high turn over rate. It is basically a sales based job. There is no opportunity for advancement at the Red Cross unless you worked there for 10 years or a family member works there.