Work at American Eagle Outfitters — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about American Eagle Outfitters pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

From Knoxville, Tennessee — 09/19/2008

I am actually full-time at ae, rather than part-time, which most people here seem to be. and I have to agree that the pay isn't the most fantastic thing ever, but for me personally, with promotions and raises, it also isn't that terrible. I would say they don't really start you out a great rates, but you can work to get better pay rates. I feel like I have lots of respecet from not only my managers, but also all of my fellow associates. but I also feel like that is something that will vary store to store, and also has to be earned. AE has lots of benefits that other places don't. In addition to the pretty great discount they have all sorts of other benefits like insurance and 401Ks and stuff. I would have to agree with most people...it is a very secure job, as long as you at least make an effort. It is fairly hard to get fired unless you just completely mess something up. I am a full-time student with a full-time job at ae...and I still find time to have a life, so I would say work/life balance is pretty good. I feel like, for me personally there is lots of career potential and in general potential for growth. but I think that is another thing that depends you have to want it and work for it, those things aren't just handed to you. The location is actually pretty great, it is just a distance away for me...cause I transferred from my closer store. I think that several of my coworkers aren't the brightest people...but many of them are actually brilliant...but as with any place, you have a variety of people. & lastly, the work environment is fantastic. all of the people i work with are great, even if they aren't all super competent. and we all have a great time at work...even when there are long hours or crappy closing nights. and even when we're being pushed to get those credit cards...overall it is a great environment. & I love my job...what else can I say!?

From Massapequa, New York — 07/15/2008

The pay, as others have said, is not the best. But honestly, I'm not that concerned because unlike others, I get at least 15 hours a week. I do wear a lot of their clothes so I am very content with with the discount. I'm also not concerned with benefits because after all, it is only a part-time job. I have 3 part-time jobs and I enjoy the variety of them and not having to work in one place all the time. Security is good, I have yet to see one person fired in the 8 months I have worked here. Though there are on-call shifts, they are not used that often and I don't mind when I get an extra hour or two before or after my shift. There is not much potential for a career, but again, this is a part-time job for me and I'm not looking to be here for many years to come. The location is excellent because it is about 2 minutes away from my house and even though it's not in the best mall around, it's a slower location and less stressful than most. My co-workers, for the most part, are great people and aren't condescending. We all like to enjoy our time at work, sing along with the music, have fun with each other. That being said, the environment is fun, but at times a little stressful when we are being pushed to get as many credit cards as humanly possible. I don't particularly like this part because I've never been one to force someone to get something they don't really need.

From Pittsburgh, PA — 03/12/2008

First of all, to all the people complaining about "part-time" jobs in retail stores having low-pay, not enough hours, and terrible commutes, stop it... you aren't forced to work in these stores, and if you really want to make a dollar go look for something else. It's a part-time job!! Take the experience and run with it... As far as AEO Corporate, it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will read all large specialty retail companies having long hours and lack of a personal life, but you know what, that's the culture and the ever-changing landscape of the business. I've worked for another direct competitor to AE, and it isn't even a comparison. We promote from within, train those people to succeed, and watch them bring their own individual talents to the business. True, we may not have the best looking stores (or even the most competent employees and managers running those stores), but that's a challenge to overcome in the coming years. We are a company that believes in a work/life balance (even though some people would argue that) but you're not going to get anywhere in life being a "clock-puncher", putting your 40 hours in a week and going home. As in any job, you have to be good at it to maintain job security, but you will not be fired for making a mistake. Obviously, constant mistakes will lead to your potential termination (no kidding), as it would in any full-time career. The biggest benefit working at AE is the casual work attire I wear everyday (jeans, chucks, t's, etc...). We're not hardcore "You Must Wear AE at all Times!!" like other retailers, so long as you don't emblazon your chest with another competitor's logo. Pay is very competitive, as I was ushered away from my previous corporate retail job with my current salary & subsequent promotions. The brand new corporate office in Pittsburgh's South Side Works is beautiful (albeit being in Pittsburgh), and is still growing. On the downside, Pittsburgh isn't the most glamorous place to live. It has surpassed Seattle as the most precipitous city in the US, it is landlocked (I do not consider 3 Rivers as "water", thank you very much), and for those of us from the Coast, it definitely is a change. It does have it's nice areas though (Shadyside & South Side) as do all cities. All in all, I would recommend AE to anyone who has a passion to do new things, work in an environment that cultivates creativity, and be at the forefront in the growing & constantly changing landscape of specialty retailing. Remember, it's not what you have to do everyday at work, it's what you get to do!

From Hagerstown, MD — 02/03/2007

Since I was 15, I wanted desperately to work at American Eagle. I wasn't so much obsessed with the clothing, but I liked it and thought I'd be good at selling it, plus a 40% discount looked pretty sweet to me. So I applied when I was 16 and was told you had to be 18, which was odd because I knew two people who were 16 and worked there. I waited, though, and they hired me 4 weeks before my 18th birthday. The pay is awful and commission is nonexistent at AE; I was paid $6.50 an hour and the only thing I got for high sales or a lot of credit cards was a pat on the back. They were obsessed with getting credit cards, too... There weren't any benefits to us part-timers, and there was no such thing as a full-timer. Management actually wouldn't let anyone work more than 35 hours a week so that they didn't have to give benefits to the full-time employees or pay for overtime. The job security was the best thing about working at AE, because once you're in, you have to really mess something up to be kicked out, but of course when you consider the high turnover that they have it's really not that hard to believe. One of the worst things about this job is the call-in shifts... They schedule for times when they MIGHT need you, and want you to call in 1 hour before the shift starts. Usually they don't need you, but sometimes they do, so it makes it impossible to be able to plan something during that time because you may be going in. Also, several times a week they will call you and tell you they need you to come in, and if you don't, they treat you like dirt pretty much from then on. I wasn't aware of any potential for growth or promotion, and the word "raise" was never mentioned in the 6 months I worked there. It seems as though people are either hired for the sales associate position or hired for a management position, but you can't cross over from one to the other. The location of the AE I worked at was awful. I had to travel via interstate highway for about a half hour. Some of the coworkers were awesome, and I made friends with some really cool people, but then there are lazy people who don't do anything and then point the finger to you. Also, if the management doesn't like you for one reason or another--maybe you're TOO nice or you work so hard that it makes overs look bad--then they treat you like dirt and you have to just accept it. I liked the environment... Good music, fun people, customers were usually very nice, but if you don't like the people you work with, you almost can't like the job.