Working at American Eagle Outfitters — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about American Eagle Outfitters pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

From Boston, MA — 09/23/2010

I worked at AEO for one year during my last year in highschool, and i got about 20 hours a week max so usually it was 16-20 unless they really didn't need people...so I had a pretty steady income. I think every half year you get a raise based on how you work..i wasn't cashier so i never got people to get a credit card so i didn't get that much of a raise..I think it was like 30 cents or something. My managers are kinda cool, they try to make things fun and once we had a contest to see who could get the more CC in one day..you win prizes like bags of gummy worms and stuff, just nice things our MODs did. well one anyways. It was very annoying that we always had a set goal and had to try to reach it, but whatever, it's fine. I liked working there because my co-workers were fun and customers were chill most of the time. Since its in boston, in the middle of tourist attraction it was even better cause you meet people from everywhere. I think if you work there long enough you can move up..to key holder and all that jazz. They did hire new managers from like outta no where so i dont know why they did that since some never worked at our company before!!!!!! So obv employees like us would be like..wtf when they are trying to rule over us. Our discounts were great. Loved the christmas season when EVERYONE is shoppingg, it's crazy but fun.

From USA — 07/22/2010

PAY: I make minimum wage at this job. It is not really the best salary but I am a high school student who needs a job and is willing to work. Every year in February the managers to a review on every employee, and one of the things they review is their hourly pay. Some people that I work with have recieved raises which is cool. But a lot of the people are hired seasonally so they never make it a full year. I hope that in February, since I will have been with the company for over a year, my managers will be willing to at least contimplate giving me some sort of raise.
RESPECT: I think that my managers treat all of the people that I work with respect. They are willing to correct employees when they are wrong, but at the same time they always do it respectfully. When they have a conversation with you they try to see things from your perspective. My store manager can be a complete jerk sometimes, but when you are having a bad day (money wise) and his job is dependant on the company being happy with the amount of money we make, it is understandable. But at the same time he is a pretty cool guy. He watches the same shows on MTV as most of the staff so when we are closing we have good conversation.
BENEFITS: For a high school teenager this job has amazing benefits. I love American Eagle clothing, which was one of the reasons why I applied to work at American Eagle. I revieve a great discount so I obviously buy clothes every new season.
JOB SECURITY: I think that if you are a trustworthy employee who is willing to go to work and work hard to make the company money, you will be recieving more hours. On the other hand if you are an employee who slacks off, does not approach customers, does not listen to managers, does not task when asked to do something you obviously will be recieving less hours. People on here are complaining about how they reciveve less and less hours. Well if you are seasonal you are really only hired for ninty days, and when they hire you they tell you that you are only seasonal and that if you show exceptional work ethic they will hire you on for part time. So basically you will be seeing less and less hours because they can't keep you past the time that you were hired for, unless they have part time positions open. I think that I have great job security. I know if I go to college far away I can transfer stores.
WORK/ LIFE BALANCE: I think it is very easy to balance your work and life. At American Eagle you are able to set up your avalability. Which means you tell them the times that you can work and the times that you cannot work. Ex: during the week days I am not avaliable until after 4 because I am at school. On Sunday I am not avaliable late at night becuase I do not do my homework at wait until the last minute on Sunday to do it. Its easy to set up your avalability to accomidate your life. This summer I had to change my avaliablilty becuase I have another job. I was scheduled outside of my avalibility once and talked to my manager and she fixed it for me. If you take your issues to the managers they are more than willing to work it out with you.
CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: I personally think that any employee can have career growth within their store. This back to school season, some employees were promoted to "Jean Experts" which does not include a pay raise but it gives you more authority in the selling area during back to school season. It also is a reward from the managers because their is an incentive for being a Jean expert, like for example they get better deals on jeans. It shows the employee that their managers see that they are doing a good job at work and that the managers notice. I also have a store manager, an aerie manager, a hiring manager, and a mens and womens visuals manager. My stores aerie manager and the men's manager were former associates at different stores, who got promoted to a manager position. I think that if you are an expectional employee and show company loyalty by being with the company for multiple years that the potential for becoming a manager is there, if you express it.
LOCATION: I mean my American Eagle is at a mall, i know some American Eagles are at outlets, but my location is good i guess. The nice thing about working at the mall is that some different stores offer "mall discounts." A lot of the food establishments offer great rates for mall employees so on days that I have longer shifts I can eat at the mall and pay a better price. A lot of the food establishments offer Large sodas for around a dollar for mall employees so sometimes before I go to work I grab a soda from one of the food places. I mean being at a mall is nice because I have things to occupy myself during my break, if i do not want to sit in the back and eat.
CO -WORKER COMPETENCE- I love my co-workers. My store is fun because their are a group of employees who hang outside of work like twice a month. We have a lot fun together when we are working together because we are friends outside of work as well. I think that our friendships help us work better together becasue we are able to tag-team a mom who has brought her son and daughter shopping, or a mom who brought both of her daughters or sons shopping. And by tag teaming we are able to talk to each other over the head sets of ideas on what to show the customers or just side notes. The other day I was on register and another co-worker was on the floor selling. I found a customer who was shopping for an upcoming vacation. We tagged team and I let her take over the customer while I rang on register, and my co-worker took over the customer and got her into the fitting room and we took turns helping her out.
WORK ENVIORMENT: The only thing that stinks about the work enviorment is when customers complain or get upset at you, for situtations that you did not have control over. The store also gets super hot when we close, and someone told me during the floor set the temperature reached 80 degrees.
I

From Joplin, Missouri — 06/12/2010

From reading several pages of reviews, it would seem that each store is very different. Several people talk about how they truly love their job and enjoy it, while others think working in AE is like working in the Devil's butt crack. Here in Joplin, I must say I am very satisfied with my job. There is irony in my situation, however, because the managers AND associates in our store are extremely caring about the customers. Our managers follow in store policies, and still balance it out so that they seem like you're friends rather than bureaucratic tools. Our store manager does a good job of motivating employees without being mean. Our Associate manager is passionate about making people happy and promoting the welfare of our store, and she motivates you not because she is bossy, domineering, or mean, but because she truly wants you to be a good employee. Our third manager is very smart and knows how to deal with customers very well. He can skillfully turn away a customer looking to screw the store over, and help out the old woman who's coupon expired the day before by giving her the discount anyway. Our fourth manager is the motherly kind; she is the nicest perosn in the store and you do what she says not because you're scared she will get on to you, but because you would feel bad by defying her :) Our associate manager is the one who determines who is hired, and paired with her passion to make our store do well, she is very good at weeding out the people who would be bad for our store. In addition to all of this, the managers do a good job at making the associate feel respected and important: I am 18 and one of the younger employees, yet I feel as if I am an adult and am not ever patronized. Pay is ok, but hey I didn't sign up for this job thinking I was going to make a six-figure annual income. And for the people who have "worked here for 9 months without a raise"- every February the managers do a individual report on associates who have been with the company for at least a year and, based on the report, associates are given or denied raises accordingly. Conversion is king, and it is a cruel king. As mentioned above, many times families or groups of at least 5 will come in and put their purchase on one transaction; this means a 20% conversion which already means it is sub-par to what the company expects. In short, conversion is a crock that is just another tool given by corporate to micro-manage and squeeze each employee for what they're worth. Oh right, I forgot to transition..... As I mentioned, our managers care for associates and customers, but all corporate cares about is money, money, money, and more money (oh and credit cards). Our DM is a total jerk, and treats all of our managers very poorly whenever they fail to meet the outrageous standards set by the company. AE is very slowly, but very steadily cutting away our benefits in favor of corporate. Our managers are all very aware that many of the expectations of the company are stupid, but are nonetheless obligated to follow them. They push credit cards as if it were gold, yet their reasoning behind it is (like many other things they push) lacking in common sense. They believe that people who get credit cards will shop more at AE, when in reality 50% of the customers I talk to who have (or had) credit cards have signed up for them for the 15% discount and then canceled the card. What they should do is make sure you ask every customer if they want a credit card, and not make sure you MUST get a card; FACE IT! Not everyone wants a credit card especially since our country's fiscally in the toilet mostly because of credit! Whenever we are out of supplies (medical, shoppings sacks, etc.), it takes forever to send new ones; we were TOTALLY OUT of shopping sacks for 3 weeks straight and had to resort to using Chinese Food "Thank You" sacks until we receieved new ones (oh, did I mention we had placed the order for new ones 2 weeks before we totally ran out of regular bags making it 5 weeks before receiving what we needed).

In conclusion, the job of "associate at American Eagle" is very up in the air. You can work at a store where the managers and associates suck and corporate doesn't give a hoot about you, or you can work at a store where the managers and associates are great and corporate still doesn't care about you. The latter is very tolerable; mostly a slap in the wrist once in a while from the DM and maybe an inconvienance once in a while for you personally, but overall a decent experience.

From Concord, NC — 05/21/2010

I work at an Aerie store (it's a different brand under the American Eagle Outfitters company). It's a little different than an AE store because it's smaller and a little more customer service focused.

Pay: I get paid pretty well. It's a part-time retail job, so you can't expect much. I started above minimum wage and have gotten 2 raises in my 2 years with the company.

Respect: I feel like I am vert well respected by my managers. Like anything in life, you get out of this job what you put into it. I have worked very hard and reaped the benefits.

Benefits: Since I'm just a part time associate (and a minor) I don't get healthcare benefits or anything like that, but our associate discount is pretty good. We get 40% off regular priced merchandise and promo items, and 25% off clearance. It used to be better than it is now; for example, when we run additional clearance sales (30% off clearance, 40% off clearance, etc.) we would still get another 25% off. That's not happening anymore...but we do get certain items 50% off when they first come out. And no we don't HAVE to wear aerie/AE clothes to work; they make that very clear. But when we get such a good discount, why would you buy other clothes?

Job Security: It's pretty difficult to get flat out fired. People usually quit before that happens. If you start slacking off on the job, you will just get scheduled less. If you do really well (have great sales, get credit, etc.) you get more hours.

Work/Life Balance: Starting out, you won't get very many hours, so it'll be very easy to balance your work and life. If you're awesome and start getting more hours, you'll need to remember to request off for days you need it. Don't be that guy that's always calling around getting people to cover shifts...it pisses off your co-workers and your managers, and you'll start getting scheduled less.

Career Potential/Growth: I'm a minor, so there's not much room for growth there. I can't open or close, can't climb a ladder, can't use a box cutter...so really I'm limited to sales. If I wasn't going away to college when I turn 18, I could definitely see potential for growth within the company.

Location: My store is in an outlet mall, which is definitely different than a regular mall. There is more theft and lower conversion. People mostly look for clearance.

Co-worker Competence: Around Holidays, it can get pretty bad. Seasonal associates don't get as much training, so they don't know what they're doing. Usually, it's pretty good, though.

Work Environment: I love my job!

From Maplewood, MN — 04/15/2010

I wasn't even going to comment because I figured there would be rave reviews. However, I can't believe how many people are bashing AE. I've been working at AE for almost a year, and I have barely any complaints. In response to the reviews on here claiming to get less than 15 hours a week- your hours are based on performance. I get about 25-30 hours a week because I care about the company, and everything we have to offer. And to say that all the employees are fake is a little ridiculous. I am naturally a bubbly person and do not fake any customer service I have to offer. I saw reviews claiming to not have been trained in... You get trained on how to use the register. The rest is common sense and things you learn as you work. If you can't sell a pair of jeans than I don't know what to tell you. The pay is not that great, but it is retail so I take what I can get. As for the reviews claiming that everyone just swears and makes fun of customers behind their back- I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience at your location but that behavior would be completely unacceptable at my store. Everyone is very caring and extremely helpful. My coworkers are like family and a lot are now some of my close friends.

Oh and just as an irrelevant side comment: On the most recent review I saw a comment that you can't order online with your discount.. You actually can. It just has to be through your store and it gets delivered to your home.

From Ohio — 03/16/2010

I started when I was in high school and thought it would just be an easy job to help pay for my needs. Now, after being there for two years I absolutely love it. I love everyone I work with and my managers are amazing people. Granted, I do get annoyed with some of the customers I still love my job. They aren't like the competing stores because you don't have to wear their clothes. Yes, it is better if you do but there is no rule that you have to at all. All the rule states is that you must wear something that looks like it could be from the store and doesn't say any other name brands on it like HCO, Abercrombie or anything like that. Overall, I LOVE my job at American Eagle.

From San Francisco. CA — 03/11/2010

Pay is decent. San Francisco minimum wage is pretty high. I've been with the company for over two years though and have never even seen a hint of a raise. I worked at the downtown location (on Market) for like 5-6 months before getting transferred to the Tanforan location because one of the Assistant Managers (one of the very few awesome ones) was being promoted to Store Manager. Then, he left the company and we got a new manager who didn't know what she was doing. The good Assistant Managers will give you respect (if they like you). You may get respect from your co-workers. The benefits are pretty good. 40% off regular merchandise, and for the first two weeks after a floorset you can get things for 50% off. Job security... for me is okay. I haven't been scheduled for the past month and a half but I haven't been fired. But really, what's the point of still being employed there if you aren't being scheduled? They're usually pretty flexible about work hours, but it's not worth the aggravation. If you expect to get promoted, don't. You're probably just as disposable as the next high school/college student walking through the door looking for a job. For me, the location was good. Real close by. New co-workers are annoying. Especially if they haven't been trained the right way. They don't know how to fold or where to put things away. They don't know how to search for things on the computer. They can't even do simple ringing people up. it's so irritating. The environment is no better. Loud headache inducing music and bright hot track lights. In a small store, with broken a/c.... no bueno. at all.

From CT — 01/08/2010

pay isn't that great but tolerable when you're in high school like me... they work around school and my clubs, which is really nice.. umm great discount, lots of friends are jealous of my clothes ;) .. managers are nice and associates are friendly. but retail is retail, love it or hate it

From Auburn Hills, MI — 09/24/2009

I absolutely love working at AE. I can't imagine a more enjoyable place to work. 2/3 of the managers are great, and really strive to reach our sales goals and make the associates the best they can be. I would recommend it as a place to work, plus the store discount is great.

My only issue with my store in particular is that we do have a few employees that I swear don't understand how to follow directions, which makes working frustrating on occasion.

From New York — 10/09/2008

For everyone out there who complains about not having any hours, lets face it, it's probably because you're not good at the job. If you're an outgoing person who loves to strike up conversation with customers and tries to help them - you're the perfect associate. If you stand around and straighten clothes all day then you're not doing your job. We don't stress and annoy customers about the credit card, we bring it up and if they say no, then its a no...we don't nag.

And we can have to cut and add shifts as we see fit. We don't know how the day will unfold with business - if the store makes more money we have more hours to give out. So if we only expected to have in 9,000 by Wednesday and we acutally had in 13,000 then we have hours to give out! Don't complain about not having any hours and then have the nerve to compain about us giving hours away!

I get paid very well and i love my job. I love not having a 9-5 lifestyle and if i need a weekend off, i can request it!

Floorsets are now scheduled during business hours and if a store was scheduling minors for overnight floorsets then they're stupid. Minors (by at least NYS law) cannot work more than 4 hours on a school night, are not allowed to have call shifts. and are not allowed to work floorsets.

I've been with the company for 3 years and first started as an associate, i'm now an assistant manager and i'm begining the process for store manager. And for anyone who doesn't know this, the exective vice president started as a stock boy with the company - and you're saying there's no room for advacement?!

Overall, not everyone who works for the company is the smartest person and i'm sure there are stores out there that break and bend the rules all the time, but not everyone and every store is like that. My store is a great place to work; we're carefree and have tons of fun!