Working at American Cancer Society — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about American Cancer Society pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at American Cancer Society

From Austin, TX — 07/31/2010

I worked at the NCIC division in Austin from mid-2007 until early 2009. There were a lot of cool things about the job: tons of paid time off, you pretty much had free reign to goof off on the internet between calls (we watched a lot of Hulu), and it was pretty damn hard to get in trouble with the management. Unfortunately, this also meant that the occasional HORRIBLE employee was allowed to continue being horrible, whereas they would get fired anywhere else.

The pay was fine for an entry-level call center position. The catch was that almost everyone stayed in those entry-level positions for years and years. It was hard to move up. Even if you did get promoted to a supervisor position, the pay increase wasn't enough to compensate for the tons of extra work you had to do.

For the most part, I liked my coworkers. There were a lot of people working there who were far too smart and interesting to be in such a low-skill job. That's pretty much the case anywhere you go in Austin, though. Most of the supervisors are pretty cool as people, if not terribly good at supervising.

The job itself gets annoying pretty fast. Most of the calls are from people begging ACS for money to help them with the cost of treatment, or even things entirely unrelated to cancer treatment. Will ACS give you money to help you buy a more comfortable mattress? No, but we will "forward your request to the local office," which is usually code for "not a chance in hell."

Bottom line: it's a decent place to work for a year or so, especially if you're young, but not a place you want to build a career.

From San Mateo, CA — 05/18/2009

American Cancer Society is a wonderful place to work with a great opportunity to learn and grow in your community. It is wonderful to have a job that you love, and have a job where you can help people and families. I recommend American Cancer Society. This is also a great place to volunteer.

From NYC — 12/05/2006

I loved working in cancer prevention, but did not always like working for the American Cancer Society. I loved my team, our personal committment to fighting cancer, and the support that i recieved from the organization when i needed it the most. I did not like ACS, because i believe that they are more focused on fundraising than on cancer prevention; the support that they offer cancer patients does not fully meet the need of NYC's diverse population; and they are an institutionally racist organization. If I were rich, would i give money to the american cancer society? Yes, if they used the money to fund cancer treatment for patients screened under the Healthy Living Partnerships. Yes, if Cancer Control and Patient Services staff does not have to spend July to October doing fundraising instead of dedicating 100% of their time to cancer patients. Yes, if their Eastern Division and Regional leadership teams become more diverse. If all of thoes things at ACS changed, then i would like the organization as much and i like working to prevent cancer.