Working at AMC (Movie Theater) — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AMC (Movie Theater) pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AMC (Movie Theater)

From Los Angeles area, CA — 04/30/2009

Pay: Here at my theater it's
Crew member (starting out) - $8.00
Crew lead - $8.25
Operations Coordinator - $8.75
Manager - ??? Varies

Respect: Work hard and you will get noticed by management. Be pro-active, consistently ask your superiors how they think you did during a shift, how you can improve, etc. Managers love that stuff

Benefits: Free movies at any AMC as long as it's not a sold out showing, free popcorn and free soda or discounts on other items within 30 minutes before or after your shift

Job Security: You either have to spit in a managers face or get caught stealing money to get fired from this job. Even in hard economic times, people still look for solace in entertainment. In this recession we've hired at least 20 new employees

Work/Life Balance: The scheduling manager here is pretty flexible when it comes to approving day-off requests. But they do restrict you from requesting holidays off. Also if they're expecting high attendance they will bar you from requesting days off. For example, this month of May, Wolverine, Star Trek, Terminator, etc are coming out so no one can request days off. Also if you're doing a closing shift you can get out pretty late, like 1:30am. I've had to stay as late as 3:00am

Career Potential/Growth: You can move up the ladder if you work hard and get management to notice you. As I said before, be pro-active. As for a career I wouldn't recommend it unless you're dedicated to becoming a General Manager or higher. I heard one of the AMC GM's in Los Angeles makes six figures

Location: I work at a fairly high attendance AMC in SoCal and it gets pretty busy.

Co-worker competence: You will have hard working co-workers and just as many lazy ones in every job you work, just get used to that concept if you want to be a part of the American work force

Work environment: I'll divide it up into the three categories of work that I'm familiar with

Floor/Usher: The people who come in and watch movies are lazy and WILL leave their trash behind for you to clean up, which is ridiculous. Sometimes you'll come across nasty stuff like used diapers. IMO, that should be a crime, leaving someone to clean up bodily waste that you clearly could've dealt with yourself. You have to (ideally) clean up a theater in 5 minutes or less. Sometimes you will have multiple theaters coming out at the same time so it can get pretty stressful (especially for Leads and OC's under the watch of a very strict manager). Aside from that you have to take care of restocking and cleaning the condiment stands/butter stations where people leave trash even though there are trash receptacles right in front of them. You also have to clean the restrooms, which can get pretty nasty.

Concession: Can be stressful as well. You ideally have to serve each person in a minute or less. As long as you have a good Lead like myself :-) who sets up their cashiers so that they have everything the need within a few steps reach, you should be fine. Guests will be the most annoying part of the job, asking stupid questions ("How much is a free refill?" <-- true story) or making absurd demands. You're required to upsell and suggestive sell with every transaction. Most of any movie theater's profit comes from the concession stand; majority of ticket sales goes back to the studios.

Box office: Probably the most laid back job in comparison to floor/concession. You stand in a glass box selling tickets. You have to check ID's for rated-R movie ticket sales, deal with coupons and gift certificates, stuff like that, doesn't get too complicated.

Overall it's an ok job to have during high school/college, as long as the people around you (supervisors, managers) are cool

From 540, VA — 03/03/2009

as we all know, amc isnt the greatest place to work in the world. but there is some perks of working there. you meet alot of people, (potential life long friends) and you get to watch movies for free. and then theres the cons... for one, the discounts completely suck because the prices are already originally high so maybe a dollar will be taken off. why bother? the pay is bad, im shocked people arent getting started off with ATLEAST 7.00, not 6.25 & below. your hours are never the same. one week you'll get lucky and get atleast 30, while the next week you'll get 10.. maybe 5. who knows? extremely low pay and wishy washy hours dont go hand in hand. as far as respect, you'll get it. just like any other place you have your rude people then you have your nice people. that applies to co-workers also. the benefits are amazing, if you're basically the theater manager you'd have no problem getting benefits. but if you're a red shirt or a blue shirt... dont waste your time. thats basically your WHOLE check. you're never safe, one slip up and you're out. that company has millions of applicants each month (and i still have yet to find out why) so they dont really need you. point blank. they'll keep you around for holidays and weekends but if you mess up, you're liable to get fired on the spot. theres not really a balance between your work & personal life. if you have no life, amc is the job for you. its easy to grow with the company, you just have to go outta your way to impress them and do alot of extra sucking up. great deal right?

my advice is teenagers 16-17 only apply. but if you're taking care of a family, or if you have bills..you'd do better working fast food. TRUST ME. i've had several checks 500$ and up working at the average mcdonalds opposed to the 119$ checks i got at amc.

i mean...really.

From San Diego, CA — 10/14/2008

I've been working for AMC Theatres for almost a year now, and it's been an up and down ride. As seen in my ratings, I think everything is pretty much average. Pay is absolutely horrible, especially since I work at a VERY busy location and it takes a bit more effort to get the job done.

This is also not a good place to look for "career opportunities". Manager and OC (Operations Coordinator/Assistant Manager) positions are reserved for the "AMC Suck-Ups". I'm currently a floor supervisor, just one step above the "red-shirts", and it seems that that's as far as I'll go since a lot of promotions and raises are based on favoritism, and not by performance. And OF COURSE it's not going to be based by performance, since a lot of managers, ESPECIALLY the Senior and General Managers are seldom found downstairs watching over the floor staff.

It's a good place to learn valuable lessons, especially if working at and AMC Theatre is your first job. You're introduced to a lot of things (especially working skills) that are extremely crucial to jobs you might find later.

Oh yeah. Free movies.

From Harrisburg, PA — 09/22/2008

I worked at AMC for seven years, through high school and most of college because it was a really fun job. Granted the pay sucks, but that's to be expected. Working part time for some extra cash was very worthwhile, and some of my closest friends were former co-workers. I think it's a great first job for anyone, or someone looking for extra income.

As for growth potential, I knew people that were trained in many different positions, and you were considered for management if you showed the interest and loyalty. Overall, I had really good memories of this job and although it was just an after school job, it looks good on my resume because I was there so long.

From the tampa area, FL — 09/13/2008

I feel sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience working for AMC, but not all AMC theatres are horrible. I'm new to AMC, but I have worked for 2 other theatre companies and AMC is by far the best one. Yes the pay is just minimum wage, but they tell you that up front and if you are not willing to work for minimun wage don't take the job! As for as the weekends and holidays go, movie theatres are weekend, holiday intensive jobs. This is also something they tell you up front! If you aren't availiable to work during those times your working in the wrong industry. Most AMC's give employees free movie passes for the employee plus one guest. That means if you and a friend go and watch one movie a week you can save around $72 a month, 2 movies a week could save you and your guest $144 a month and so on. That is a pretty good perk! Yes the work is often dirty (and thankless as far as most customers go) but it isn't brain surgery and it certainly isn't the hardest job in the world! I guess I'm lucky because I really take pride in the work i do and my managers and supervisors notice and apperciate my efforts. I do feel like I get a lot of respect, but that is probably because the last theatre I worked at I received absolutly none! Try working for a theatre were you can work for 2 years and never get a raise, girls get special previlages because they flirt (or more) with the manager, people are highered based on there looks, you and the customers get yelled and cursed at by the owner, you have to clean the entire theatre from top to bottom (including scrubing the toilets and urinals!), your schedule is made the day before you have to work, you can't get anyone else into a movie(even your family), your not allowed to have a drink or popcorn even if you have your own cup, you work holiday after holiday a people how just got hired get them off if though the said that they could work holidays and weekends! That is the type of theatre I used to work at and it is a relief to work for AMC! The hours are super flexible and at it is a great part time job!