Working at Amazon.com — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Amazon.com pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Amazon.com

From kennewick, washington — 02/02/2010

I absolutely love working for Amazon.com, unfortunately, with the job being customer service, you get you fair share of complete morons that don't know what a website is, but the company really has no control over that. Amazon has done everything in their power to make their associates happy, weather it be company wide picnics/parties, or the occasional on site bbq, they really do understand how extremely frustrating it can be to deal with people who don't understand the way the website (or the internet in general) work and they really do their best at making the working environment as pleasant as it can be.

From Austin, TX — 11/19/2009

Interviewing for an SDE position at Amazon is weird. You need to know one main thing. ***Amazon development is basically a loosely federated collection of the usual web development teams. *** So it's the same environment of a start up only more of it.

Be aware that the people that interview you over the phone are NOT on your face-to-face interview schedule. Rather, they are used to scout you out. I was deeply disappointed that I went through all this time and expense thinking that I was learning about a great position with Mr. X and Y, and when I show up in Seattle, I interview with Ms. Z who has never heard of Mr. X or Y, and the position is nothing like what Mr. X and Mr. Y led you to believe. Amazon should make that crystal clear up front, it is rather close to a bait and switch, IMHO.

Another thing to watch out for is that you will state your salary requirements up front in the phone screen, and when you get to Seattle for your interview, the first HR guy you meet intones that you asked for too much, but they will interview you anyhow. Then Amazon, why did you fly me all the way up to Seattle if you could not meet my modest salary expectations? Because they have deep pockets and can afford to bring in candidates and offer them positions they never wanted below market rate... and hope they are desperate enough to have to accept.

Hopefully the team you interview with will be a higher caliber one. Again, ***Amazon development is a collection of federated standard web dev teams.*** Sort of the way the continent of India is. Really, the only way to make sure you get on the right team is to already know someone that works on one.

Good luck. Other than that, they put you up in a really nice hotel and give you a nice lunch. Seattle is a neat city. Overall, the interview was a good experience, I guess.

From Seattle — 09/27/2009

Amazon hires the best of the best, and this shows. You'll find your co-workers to be exceptionally smart and talented, and you'll find work to be fun and challenging. The technical challenges are never-ending, and you'll have opportunity to work on exciting technical systems.

The pay is very good, as are the benefits. You might find yourself working long hours, and your pager might go off more often than ideal, but it is worth it in the end.

From Huntington, WV — 09/25/2008

I worked as a Customer Service Agent (seasonal).The Pay isn't great but you do get a lot of respect, the benefits are good considering the location i'm at. But i got to say that the job security SUCKS, you never know when they will lay you off so you continuously working you butt off to impress managment. You sometimes have to work a intresting schedual that takes a big chunk of your day out so its hard to balance life and work, they are always hiring from within so you can move up. the location is good i can walk to work daily, my co-workers were amazing, they were very competant and was always willing to help when needed. The work enviroment was great, we were allowed to personalize our desks (as long as it was HR appropriate) and we always have pot luck dinners, HR would bring around a snack cart filled with all kinds of goodies. Overall i loved my experience with Amazon.com

From Nashua NH — 08/20/2008

Warehouse worker/picker/packer:
It was not a bad job, put it was a hard job. To succeed you have to be smart, strong, and fast. I mean REALLY fast. I am a young avid gym addict, and I was nursing sore muscle and joints after the first day until my 5th week. There were those who got it no problem, then there were those of us who just couldnít no matter how hard we tried.
I must say that the amazon staff gave us lots of assistance and every possible opportunity to reach necessary goals.
Work performance is measured by rate of items processed per hour. So respect, job growth, job security, actually everything is all measured by these numbers. If your numbers are good (100 percent or more) then the opportunities to advance and be respected are plentiful. Its only fair. Numbers are posted a few times a day for everyone to keep track of each other. I watched so many people checking out everyone elses numbers but thier own. Kind of funny.

The temp employment company that is on site was nice and easy to work with.
Pay is only 10.50 to start, optional health insurance for family costs about 120 a week. At least they offer it and it is a reputable health insurance company huh? Thatís much more than other employers in our area can say.

Only one horses ass out of 4 managers, not bad for a place like that. I was impressed.
One thing that was hard to work with was the sour puss frumpy frowning faces of the other employees as far as the eye could see. Break time I stayed to myself because the constant whining and complaining that spewed from them was poison. I never did figure out the attitudes. There could have been a good reason for it that I was just not aware of.
But there were a few nice good hearted folks peppered throughout the sea of mean faces too.
The warehouse is located near bus lines and highways, and the warehouse is clean, safe,and well lit. The bathrooms are VERY clean and stocked. The break rooms are very nice, free coffee, nice vending machines, and comfy couches etc.
I am grateful for the opportunity the company gave me. I do regret that I was not strong or quick enough to keep up with the others. I would have liked to have stayed a bit longer, I loved the 4 ten hour work days.

From Seattle, WA — 06/07/2007

I worked for amazon for around 4 years a while back. I learned more in those years than I have since, and made a lot of good friends, whom I consider the smartest people I ever worked with (before or since). I also earned a fair amount through stock (not so much through salary, although it was "OK") - which is the major form of additional compensation beyond the paltry raises you get each year. But overall I'd say it was a very positive experience.

It's certainly not a stable or sane environment for the long-haul. Nearly everyone I know leaves within 5 years feeling burnt-out. The place is relentless. As long as you go in knowing that the goal should be to learn a lot in 3-5 years and then get out, you'll do great.