Work at Aldi — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Aldi pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Aldi

From North Carolina — 01/26/2010

Ive been working with Aldi for a little over a year now and this is my opinion of the company. The pay is not bad at all..started at 11.80 ..got a raise within a month 12.25 then promoted to FRS which is $4 more an hr plus a extra dollar an hour if you work sundays... I really can't complain seing that a lot of people go to school and come out with a degree just to make that..if even. If you do your job--you keep it. The company is very much in demand and is growing so unless you are just a slacker..you get to keep your job. But then there are the ones who come in thinking they can make decent money without putting in the work..hmm no sorry, wrong company..that's walmart. Some days I hate my job,others i enjoy it. it usually depneds on the customers because 8 out of 10 we don't get respect we deserve and it does get very stressful. Listening to you complain about renting a cart for a quarter and paying a dime for a bag isnt the ideal conversation to have mulitple times a day.

From BATAVIA, IL — 01/26/2010

FOR A COMPANY THAT SIZE IT SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW TO WORK BY YOUR BY YOURSELF, BUT MANAGEMENT WILL IF THEY DONT HAVE HIGH SALES. THIS PRACTICE ISNT SAFE AND VIOLATES THERE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY CUSTOMER SERVICE. DONT LET THE HIGH STORE MANAGER SALARY FOOL YOU. YOU MUST WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK AND ITS COMMON TO STAY LONGER THAN THAT.THEY EXPECT COMLETE DEDICATION TO THEM AND THE WORK MUST GET DONE NO MATTER WHAT!.STORE MANAGERS DONT REALLY RUN THE STORE THAT IS ALL DONE THROUGH THE HOME OFFICE. UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEGREE AND COME IN AS A DISTRICT MANAGER THE STORE MANAGER POSITION IS AS FAR AS YOU WILL GO. THEREFORE YOU HAVE UPPER MANAGEMENT TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO AND THEY HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE. DISTRICT MANAGERS ARE ONLY REQUIRED TO WORK IN A STORE 1-3 MONTHS AND MOST OF THEM DONT PASS THE GRADE AND STILL GET THE DISTRICT MANAGER POSITION.THE STORE MANAGER POSITION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN THE COMPANY BUT WE ARE NOT TREATED AS SUCH. I'VE BEEN A STORE MANAGER FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT YOU GET YOURSELF INTO

From Indianapolis, IN — 12/11/2009

Save yourself the trouble and don't work here. Just becuase this company throws money at you, they think that they can treat you like crap! I've worked with cashiers that work two jobs even though Aldi says they offer better wages. They do but they don't give you hours. Also they want the least amount of workers in the store wich means you will be overtasked and if you complain, they will tell you to work harder. Any mistakes you make, you have to come in on your day off to fix, if it was not up to the opening managers expectations. SOmetimes they do it to "haze" you or just to be a dick. After all, if they had to come in...you have to come in. Seriously, Do not work here unless you love working yourself to death, no retirement cuz you will burn out and leave, and no promotions.

From PA — 11/21/2009

People who love Aldi succeed with Aldi. If You don't the job is not for you....

From Illinois — 11/10/2009

The pay is good, no doubt about that. Especially in these times. Unfortunately, if you're a shift manager, the pay is only great some of the time. When you are not working with the manager or asst. manager of the store. Or another shift manager, for that matter. Any time you are working with them, you make cashier pay. But are still expected to do the same job as you do when you are the acting manager of the store for the day/night. And to note, this was NOT made clear to me when I was hired.

As for the job itself...you work your butt off every single day. You push as hard as you can to make everything perfect, and yet it is NEVER enough. There is no praise here. Just criticism. There is no sense of a job well done, because no matter how well you think you did, it will never be enough. The physical and mental stress of this job is far more than I'd ever imagined when I interviewed.

If you are a shift manager, you WILL come to work, whether you're sick, injured, whatever. You have no choice. You will work your butt off the entire time without a real break, stay two hours past closing and still be called in on your day off the next day because something wasn't done perfectly. You will not be told that you are doing well, you'll only be told if you're doing the slightest thing wrong.

The job I left to work at Aldi was very physically demanding, and there was little praise or appreciation for a job well done. Looking back, I realize just how wrong I was in thinking that. Because that big box store had nothing on the job I have now. It was a walk in the park!

Yes, the pay is great, the benefits are great. But I'm not really sure that those are worth what I deal with every day. I used to wonder about the turn over rate, especially for shift managers. Now I no longer wonder about that, because I know.

From hinckley, ohio — 10/14/2009

an ok place to work

From Illinois — 09/27/2009

Have been at Aldi for 10+ years as a Store Manager. Very Very frustrating. The more stores that open, the less my bonus is and the more stress I have to run the numbers that I need to run. Have not gotten a cart average bonus, but managers that have NO new stores opening around them, get the bonus. ( could be $200-300 monthly.) I have gone from making mid 80's to low 70's. If you have a slow store watch out. You have to work alone, I am a women, mom and wife, and I am Scared to be in a store by myself! Ringing up food. i CANT TAKE A BREAK OR GO TO THE BATHROOM! I amke less each year for the past 4 years. Give better service Im told! The dm's....all that is said is true. . . 24yr old babies! Thinking there arses DONT stink. It is horrible.

From Reading, PA — 12/18/2008

Ive been with for Aldi 5.5yrs. You will either love it or hate it. I personally wouldnt recommend it for just anyone. It isnt an easy job. Yes the rate of pay is really good, you will work for it. Benifits are so-so, and job security ,well, that could be taken at any time. However that all depends on you. They expect alot from a person and they tell you this during your interview, and unless your willing, you need to say no thank you. Ive read the reviews and I dont disagree with some of it, however I work in a Aldi's that IS willing to work with you. The standard is for an employee to be available from 6am-10pm. Some of us can, others cant. What is nice is that our store manager works with all the employees.
Ive had my share of mr and mrs public. Most of our customers are good. There are some that can really get under your skin. Dealing with the public isnt always easy, this is part of the job.

You have to remember one thing, Aldi isnt you average run of the mill store. Its a good store that sells quality products, so as a customer you save more. This means less employees and more responsiblities for each employee.
I have no doubt the people writing the reviews have had problems with Aldi. Speaking from personal situations, Aldi has been with me through it all(good and bad), I for one really like my job and all my fellow coworkers and from my persective it is a good company to work for.

From Oak Creek, WI. — 08/28/2008

Pay at this job is great Starting pay is over 15$ an hour for part time work with full time benefits, 401K, Full medical dental and vision insurance also. Its close to my home and not in a busy area to make commuting hard for me. You do start at the bottom of the totum pole but work your way up as people get hired and the more time you have in the company opens up new and better offers and jobs for you to do there. Some of the fellow co workers are uninviting but you have that almost anywhere untill they get to know you and they find you are good at what you do. I get two days off a week but weekends are mandatory with two weekend off a month so that is the only downfall for me having a family whose husband has off weekends. Working in the warhouse is nice because it is kept clean and orderly so, I feel that this is a great place to work.

From arkansas — 07/09/2008

adli is a cheap store to shop but slave drive their employees to get it so cheap. they are hard on their employees and have turned them into aldi robots. its ashame that they don't value the people that make the company run smoothly. an average of 4 people run the entire grocery store. They do not believe in positive reinforcement only negative and their jobs are on the line evryday. They pay very well to trap the employee so they feel they can't go elsewhere however there is a major price to pay. If you have a family beware they expect aldi first no matter what!!