Working at AIMCO — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AIMCO pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AIMCO

From midwest — 09/04/2010

i just started with aimco a month ago, so far i love the job. i will say the benefits are an absolute joke. who would pay over $700 a month for half way decent health insurance? other than that im happy for now, i do think they have too many service techs on staff though. makes me worry about lay offs when it gets slow. i may keep my eyes open for better paying jobs but for now i do not plan on going anywhere.

From USA — 08/05/2010

WHATS UP WITH THE BONUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T THINK ANY ONE IN THE COMPANY GOT ANY I AM HEARING WEIRD NEWS ALL OVER THE GLOBE THAT THEIR IS SOME TYPE OF HIJACK OF ALL AIMCO EMPLOYEES BONUS. PLEASE RESPOND IF THIS IS HAPPENING IN YOUR AREA TO.

SICK AND TIRED
USA

From Phoenix, AZ — 03/02/2010

My previous review of AIMCO was not favorable. The only positive one I read was from someone who did not come across as a very nice person. I thought I would share something positive about AIMCO with you. This week end I met with a couple, one is a previous AIMCO employee and one is a current employee. The previous employee left after being called to active duty. AIMCO paid her salary while she was in Afghanistan, and moved her to another apartment when her property sold while she was gone. The couple met while working at different properties at AIMCO. The current employee went through a property sale and was moved to another property. Each one of them had nothing but nice things to say about AIMCO. I, of course, kept my opinion to myself. These are two of the nicest people I know and I am just happy to know they are happy and have been treated well.

From United States of America — 02/16/2010

I've been with AIMCO for a bit now and have enjoyed the experience thus far. There are numerous complaints about lay-offs, commission structure (by the way - most LC's in our business work on commission alone, while you have a nice hourly wage), the ineptitude of senior management...and to those people, I have a response...

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. AIMCO is a multi-billion dollar company, and being a company of that size, they also have a ton of responsibility...not just under their roof, but in reporting to share holders. Lay-offs happen. People lose jobs. Companies consilidate, and for an REIT, communities get sold/bought. The selling and buying of real estate represents the very essence of what an REIT is.

Maybe you didn't understand all of this when you were on-boarded, but of course, that would be your fault.

The economy is in rough shape, the industry is in rough shape, the world is in rough shape. You are expected to do your job to the best of your ability, according to AIMCO SOP, love it or hate it, we work according to how our supervisors ask us to...that's why it's a J-O-B.

If you spent half as much time doing your job as you do on these job boards complaining, you might have some better job security. This is life folks, this is a large and competitive company, you're expected to perform just as you would in any job. If you cant handle the preasure of a real life work scenario, sit on your couch all day and be a waste to society.

(And for those of you who want to question why I TOO am writing during normal business hours...I'm on vacation - one that I E-A-R-N-E-D)

From Denver, CO — 01/17/2010

Aimco was, at least in the Denver office, a great place to work several years ago. It has been in decline somewhat over the past few years. Like many other places, the recession led to a panic in management and most of us spent 09 in limbo. Laid off now, I fear for the company's future as the focus seems to be how much was lost in the financial meltdown, not going forward and managing properties and making good profits in the future.

Management says that the books are good, and debt is being repaid early. I worry that it is like me selling my furniture and car to pay off personal debt. The books may still look good, but they really don't tell the story about how well I'd be equipped to deal with the future.

That will be hard to do without a staff! Oh well, needed a change and hope my friends land on their feet soon. Its been a bad couple of years.

From MA — 01/21/2009

Qualified staff is dismissed in favor of the ones that will use the required underhanded methods. CM has had grievances filed and a written warning regarding sexual complaints and it is allowed to continue. She is not capable of replying to a simple question or comment from employees or residents. Her main topic of conversation is her guns and trying to get pregnant, in detail I may add. Good compassionate staff are overlook in favor of getting the rent paid, by any means. Place is a mess after meg a bucs to renovate it. The residents are not the problem the management is. The place was starting to turn but they let the activities person go and now the residents have no resources to help them.

From Orlando Fl — 01/15/2009

I worked with Aimco for many years. I have been a loyal Aimco employee. Then was one of the many laid off due to company performance. I understand this completely as hard times call for hard calls. I however must say that I do not understand why the same thing with this company always occurs. I could know all the answers to all the questions and get looked over in lieu of some other employee who is friends with the right people. That makes me sad. Really Really sad. I loved AIMCO why because I am loyal hard working and I believe that when you are a part of something you should work hard and do it right. But that just does not matter in this company performance only goes as far as who's friend you are today and who said what about who to who else. it is ridiculous. You had some great employees you have some aweful employees now and you are most of all letting all of your customers down. Please reconsider what you are doing before you have no company left at all. The employees you have are terrible. Please before it is too late. Unless your plan is to get out of the bussiness if so you are doing a fantastic job.

From Orlando, FL — 10/05/2008

I think overall Aimco Mangement is like alot of companies, they choose to hire friends or people they know becuase its much easier than searching for a more qualified applicant. From what I see there seems to be a huge lack of experience in the HR dept. This business cant be good ole buddy.
The pay for this industry is a bit above I would say. Aimco takes properties that are old and require alot of repaire, With that said it makes it very hard for onsite staff to deal with the daily complaints regarding service issues. Just like most companies they want mass revenue and little overhead. But what they dont realize is your spending more money in turnover. Staff turnover is only poor HR. You can decorate and make everything as pretty on the outside as you want, but if the inside is rotten, the whole thing is spoiled. If you want to advance in the company be a yes person, If you think its a bad idea and not a good business decison, keep it to yourself and agree with the powers that be. Upper management will never know what your dealing with because there not there, they never will be there, and even if they have done your job in the past, doesnt make them the expert on your situation. So work here, its not so bad. But if you have a strong personality its not the place for you. The aparment industry is great for some and not for all. Aimco would set a better example on how they want you to treat customers if they used that themselves and treated employees with more respect. Its like a parent, you dont take them serious when they tell you not to do something that seems to be a daily practice for them. I have a great idea, video shop management and upper mangement dealing with their staff, I encourage someone to do it, set them down after and let them watch. Maybe their should be a class on how to treat your staff. Or how to hire a qualified employee. I think if an employee is happy, it will only benefit aimco. I however am motivated my money. I do my best so that I can make more money and with that I tune out all of the bull...t that seems to take place on stage and off stage.

From Tampa, FL — 07/10/2008

I worked at AIMCO for about 9 months before I decided that I couldn't take it anymore. I'm not going to sit here and say that it's the worst company I've ever worked for because it's not. Like with any company there's ups and downs. AIMCO does have many expectations from their employees and THEY WILL drain you...and OH LORD that damn pipeline!!!! But they also provide valuable training that once you leave AIMCO you can use.
Pay- Not the best base salary but commissions are pretty decent and good incentives and bonuses.
Respect- I always felt like I was respected by management in the Tampa ROC and my managers.
Benefits- The only benefit I used was 401K and that was pretty good, I also heard that health insurance wasn't bad.
Job Security- LCs: work that damn pipeline, make your goals, keep occupancy up; ACMs: keep your AR down; CMs: keep occupancy up- I think if you do these you will keep your job. Of course you will be pressured and excepted to do stupid things.
Work/life balance: HA that's a joke. Except working late nights, and LCs get stuck working EVERY WEEKEND..not fair!
Career potential/growth- just do your job and MAYBE you will grow
Location- I lived on site so the location was perfect.
Co-worker competence & w0rk environment- this varies by office. be sure to follow the SOPs and scripts...haha two other big jokes...no one follows that crap

All in all...now that I work for a different management company I must say I see why AIMCO is the way it is. I've worked for 2 other management companies other than AIMCO and I'd rather work for AIMCO any day. AIMCO KNOWS HOW TO MANAGE PROPERTIES and for the most part they value residents. The main reason I left was because of the scheduling.

From Jacksonville — 11/01/2007

I worked for Villages of Baymeadows 7 years and although I decided to leave, I find that for the most part my experience was so good with Aimco. I have meet some great people, some even better coworkers that were a pleasure to work with and for. A good manager can make or break your work experience with a company, but what you need to decide as an employee is:am I happy do I want to work in this enviroment? I know its very hard to change but sometimesitcan be rewarding and sometimes not. I was sad to leave and I will miss the residents the children and some of the staff. I know that if you hate your job it will reflect bad for everyone, the residents the staff and will cause grief. I was so happy to see Mrs. Patrice join the staff she is down to earth, very smart and treats the employees like customers too. That is a true sign of a great Property Manager. The pay is goo for the most part compared to other companies. There are some great people who care and there are some people that only want a check. Overall I loved it there.
And to clear something up now that I am gone. I was at the resteraunt and John Angelo was accused of things he did not do. I cant think ever of a manager with his position in the company come and take us to dinner more than once. I left because I did not agree with things happening within the office. But If you love what you do and you can try to change it, do it. I had so much fun and will miss everyone. A note to the service team. A big hug, missed saying goodbye. Good luck to all..