Working at AIG — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AIG pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AIG

From MidWest — 12/16/2008

the pay is good, not the best but then you acutally have to work for it here. As for respect, if you do a good job you'll get it....of course there are those who don't do anything and skate around on their age. The benefits are great. I can pick the providers I want and I'm not hurting paying for it, still maintain a 4 bdrm home with 3 car payments and having 2 small children. Job security really depends on the work you do, work hard and make an effort I think it's good. Working for the PC side of things we aren't as concerned as others about being sold off. Work and Life balance is fine for me, when I leave work I'm done. Work week is 37.5 hrs instead of 40 how could you complain? Overtime is usually a welcomed thing. Location is great, close to home and close to daycare so not much family time is spent in the car. Co-worker competence is iffy. Have a few that need to retire and hold on to work for what everyone thinks is to be a pain in our asses with not doing much work and when they do they muff it up. The work environment is much better then the last office I was in for AIG. You felt like a child being constantly watched. Now you are watched less closely though much more time is spent on the phone talking to irrate people. Funny thing with the "bailout" is how many people want to settle now for much MUCH less then previously asked.

From Jersey City, NJ — 11/16/2008

I am so tired of people & the media knocking AIG. It is not a bailout, it is a loan the the taxpayers will make out very nicely with interest and ownership in AIG and the employees are suffering as much as the shareholders. In the NY Home Office area we are not allowed to have a holiday party, but we understand with the media always looking for a negative knock on AIG and to cut expenses why it is not a good idea right now. The sad part, the holiday party was a fundraiser to collect toys for charity. I hope we can still at least collect the toys or then again the media may think AIG is collecting the toys to sell on eBay to raise cash and make another false report to the public. Our 401k, stocks, etc... have all lost value, but the current executive staff is keeping us informed and getting us back on track. Those with AIG should stay and those thinking of leaving, leave we don't need your negative attitude. Go work for Progressive, Nationwide, GEICO or some other two bit insurance company that wont appreciate your work and provide the work/life balance we all need. As for you 21st Century employees, be thankful AIG bought you otherwise the doors to your little company would have been closed a long time ago.

From Woodland Hills, CA — 07/02/2008

AIG had no choice but to layoff people from BSB@C. The file counts were down due to loss of business and the firm was mostly senior-level attorneys with fairly high salaries. The people that were laid off included the best attorneys at the firm, but AIG doesn't need them for the type of work it is contemplating. The secretarial pool was mostly all senior level secretaries which was just way to expensive. Downsizing was clearly in order. The attorneys that remain are a capable lot and will not doubt rise to the occassion if AIG doesn't crack the whip too hard. BSB@C, or whatever it will be renamed, still has a chance to excel. AIG at least is adding new technologies to the mix, which the firm traditionally lagged far behind in. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't necessarily an oncoming AmTrack.

From NY, NY — 11/02/2007

Great company!!! They honestly care about their employees. Good benefits. Lots of communication and opportunities. I have been at some of the top carriers and AIG by far is the best.

From Portland, OR — 02/08/2007

AIG is relatively new to the personal lines auto insurance market, so there's lots of growing pains right now. But despite this, it's been a great place to work thus far. If you're experienced and competent, you're left alone (for the most part) by upper management to do your job as well as you can. The autonomy is great, the work environment is great, and the pay is good. Having worked for another large insurance company prior to coming to AIG, I can tell you that is far from the worst insurance company to work for (and I think its ratings on this website bear this fact out). Not everything here is great - for instance, to staff new offices they had to fill positions relatively quickly. Sometimes this led to less than stellar candidates being hired (see the Portland review below for one such example). Over time, these people will go on to other opportunities in fields such as trash hauling and dumpster diving. One particularly bad thing about my office - there's one individual who: 1. often wears cargo pants and t-shirts to work, 2. can't even be bothered to tuck their shirt in, 3. typically walks in looking like he's just rolled out of bed, 4. smells bad (like sh*t, frankly), 5. often makes very basic grammatical errors such as confusing "their" with "there", 6. is a total dumb ass, 7. sucks at his job but thinks he knows what he is doing and has an attitude problem about it, and 8. is a fat-ass piece of sh*t. Like I said above, sooner or later individuals such as he will be moving on to other opportunities for which they are more qualified - such as hauling trash for instance. Once they're gone the work environment will be even better than it already is. You could do far worse than working for AIG.

From FL — 01/31/2007

I've been with AIG a few years and find it about average in the industry for pay and benefits. Job security is in question these days, but the work space is nice and my coworkers are great. They seem to be doing better with coworker competency with the slackers leaving for other jobs.

From Milwaukee, WI — 01/20/2007

The pay is very substantial, respect is on par, you're treated as one would deserve in most respects however breaks are not allowed aside from an unpaid lunch. Benefits are ok. Job security seems relatively stable although we frequently hear of cutbacks in other locations in the country, leaving us wondering when our day will come. Job loads are being transferred to the Philippines often. The company seemingly understands that life/family comes before the job. I have seen little to no opportunity for growth. The location is ok, bad neighborhood, close to downtown but the parking is free. Co-workers seem to be less than competent; the general feeling is that certain departments are unhappy when called upon to do their job with some level of professionalism. The environment is overall friendly with few exceptions. The company doesn't do a lot to build a "team" with in the location. Their could be more social aspects to the place, like a Christmas party, or something, all things considered AIG is rolling in it. Overall it's satisfactory at best, but I'm still looking to move on.

From miami, fl — 12/09/2006

The managers jump in and help with settling claims when the work load is heavy. The open door policy here is great...

From Miami — 12/06/2006

Great place to work. They just need to modernize their process.

From Florida — 12/04/2006

Great opportunity in this company! your really treated like you matter. The pay could be better but i'm thankful to be working 8hr days 5 days per week, it is a good life-work balance.