Working at AFLAC — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AFLAC pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AFLAC

From Sacramento, CA — 05/12/2009

AFLAC is definite one of those careers where you get out of it what you put in. If you have ever been in outside sales before you will appreciate the unbelievably positive response you get when you tell customers you are with AFLAC - hooray for the duck! Quite a difference from selling siding door to door made by a company the people have never heard of. The two main things that AFLAC requires is courage and persistance. You have absolutely must have the courage to talk with business owners. If you don't, go work at a retail shop. You must also be persistant in follow through. If you have these two things mastered then jump on the wagon. Are there other AFLAC associates who will take advantage of you? Of course. Are there other AFLAC associates who will go out of their way to help you and will be a true friend? Of course. You set your own hours, you can determine your own success.. You are paid by commission only - no salary. You need to work very hard. If you work hard and just stick with AFLAC long enough, you will be well rewarded.

From Charlottesville Virginia — 03/17/2009

Salary: Commission Jobs don't offer salaries.

Respect: They respect you if you don't mind wasting your time going to training seminars and act like a good little duck follower.

Benefits: Commission jobs don't offer benefits. AFLAC sells insurance that fills in the gaps that normal insurance will not or cannot cover. So shop around for major medical first before you purchase any AFLAC policy.

Job Security: AFLAC has pretty much covered everything in your area that can make the job a rewarding career. If you don't have a part-time job at first then this job is not for you. No security of getting paid for your hard work or efforts.

Work/Life Balance: AFLAC is a great insurance company that pays benefits in a timely manner. If you can find people to buy this insurance, you will feel good about helping people in times of need.

Career Potential/ Growth: Your RSC or DSC will tell you things like "Only 8-9% of businesses have AFLAC." So they want you to take a fine tooth comb to your area and find small businesses that don't offer AFLAC to their employees. Trouble is an AFLAC Agent has already been there and you number 3 in a 6 month period. And the agent before has already put a bad taste in the owners mouth, because he/she has bugged them about this insurance. So if you are connected and know someone with a sizable company that doesn't offer AFLAC then go for it.

Location: Selling insurance can done out of your home so you can set up shop anywhere.

Co-worker Competence: If you meet a veteran of AFLAC they act like they like you. You will be surprised how quickly they screw you over 1 lead. This is a Do-it-yourself job and don't make friends with people that are doing what your doing.

Work Environment: Its an arena competition, almost like a gladiator sport. So you decide if it is your cup of tea.

From California — 03/05/2009

I never thought I would love going to work everyday! I've been here for six years and I'm a 'lifer.' I plan to retire here, build my wealth here, and the quality of my life improves year after year. In the last 8 weeks I've been to Tahoe, Bahamas and Canada and received a 5 figure bonus for my 2008 performance.

I will say, this position is not for everyone. It's the lowest paid easy work and the highest paid hard work.

From Fort Smith, AR — 03/03/2009

Wow, I have just started my 14th year in this Company and I cannot imagine any other Career choice for me. Yes, it is very difficult to get your business going but a little hard work is worth the reward. Nothing great will come without some sacrifice. I have so many choices in life and Aflac has made that all possible. I love what I do, I support this Company with everything. I do understand that Aflac is not the same everywhere as I have been to a few States and know that not everyone runs their business the same. The best I can say is if you are looking at a career opportunity with Aflac, choose a good RSC and DSC. They will certainly help your career or break your career. You do have the choice of firing them as well. Many people have made major successes in this company with absolutely no help. So can you!

From co, ny — 02/04/2009

I worked in the AFLAC call center for several months and found it to be very enjoyable. This is a company that really cares about it's customers and will do anything they can to help. The frustrating thing about the job is that we were so limited to what we could help with because of the legal contract "policy" that people signed.
The hours were okay- they weren't very flexible, which is partly why I had to leave.
They pay fairly and give raises fairly.
Work and Family life can be hard to balance because the schedule isn't very flexible.
Everyone was very competent and knew what they were talking about.

There's a lot of room for growth! Always more things you can do to further your career there. It did seem to be a lot of pressure, which I am not very good at handling. All in all, a FANTASTIC company to work for, it was just the little details that finally made me have to quit. :(

From Ellicott City, MD — 01/30/2009

I did the internship and everybody told me not to do it and that it was horrible. They lure you in with a ton of euphamisms and skipping over the real deal of what you are doing. You basically sit at a desk with 10 other interns and get a list of 100 random companies fitting X criteria. The catch is if you get leads your "task manager" will take over for you and pretty much take all of your commission. If you manage to get a client under your name you are set. The pay is a residual so as long as you get your clients to renew the insurance you get paid the same each year. The opportunity is huge but sitting a desk telemarketing from 7-6 is so boring especially not getting paid a cent and after one month not having anything to show for your work. You don't get comped for anything, but if you log it you can "deduct it from your taxes" even though you can do that with any job and if you aren't making any money.
On Friday we would get a huge list of random people on monster.com and call them saying that our boss wants them to come in for an "interview" on x dates. Then we compile all of the interviewees into a group interview where our boss tells them the same story that got us hooked into it about how great his life is because he has us slaving for him.

In short: if you get clients you are set and can make your own schedule and live a great life with unlimited opportunity.
If you don't get clients you will die of starvation.

From Syracuse, NY — 01/14/2009

After 20 years of selling against quota for a few different foodservice brokers and manufacturers, I decided to develop my own business (actually a "book of business") with Aflac. I researched Aflac's service record, ethical standards, products and commission structure and resigned a position with a nice guaranteed salary. From the beginning I have been treated with respect by all levels of associates and mangement. Aflac has the best product, sales, and service training I have seen anywhere. There is no salary, because earnings are based on commissions, but because you are paid every year a policyholder keeps his coverage, typical annual earnings increases are 50-75% or more early on. I have seen first year people earn everywhere fro $15000 to $65,000 in a dead town like Syracuse. Benefits are not offered to associates, but I knew that before I got involved, and the high commission rates compensate. I have the most secure position in the world, because I am an independent agent. I will never be fired even if I sell nothing for a month. My motivation to work comes from me not someone else. Unlike most sales positions, I am encouraged, not threatened - it's to management's benefit to deal that way. Each agent blends work with family and other activities differently. I personally work fewer hours than I did for 20 years and I almost never have to be away from home at night. Career potential is high, because what we do is very hard, so if you are good you can grow into management. An agent can earn plenty without being promoted - we are in a small percentage of the businesses here. Location - you can your skills anywhere in the country. Co-worker competence is anywhere from bad to incredible, but our trainer and managers are patient and invested. The work environment in my region is outstandingly positive and supportive. One note: this is not for the fainthearted. It takes courage and it takes time to build something that is your own and cannot be taken away. But for about $500 to get licensed, there is no business I know you can get into for so little financial investment.

From sumter, sc — 09/16/2008

Wow, never in my life have I seen such. To those that have only negative things to say about AFLAC. Thats usually the way it goes. Failures often blame others for their short-comings. I have been with AFLAC going on 3 years. I have made what I put into it. I have received superb training. I was never told to expect a 6-figure salary in the first year. I have never had an account taken from me. I am at a loss over some of the comments. Not everyone is cut out for this job. As for it being a pyramid, ludicrous. Look up what exactly a pyramid scheme is....Also, the true facts here are the policyholders. I would venture tgo guarantee you don't find many unsatisfied policyholders. I have helped thousands of people. You guys are just bitter because you didn't succeed...

From MS — 09/11/2008

Aflac is a great company to work for. The simple fact is they pay you what you are worth to the company. It is a 100 percent commission job. If you wake up and go to work everyday you will be succuessful. Of course there are a lot of people that don't make it in this business. There are various reasons why. Some people are just not good in sales, some can't take rejection, and others are just looking for the "get rich quick" job that they are never going to find. As I said earlier though, the number 1 reason people don't make it in insurance sales is because they don't go to work. Aflac is not a sit around the office and wait for the phone to ring kind of job. If I did that on a daily basis I would starve to death.
As for empolyee benefits there are none. However, I am a licensed insurance agent and sell myself "major medical" health insurance for which I recieve the commissions because unlike most companies out there Aflac is not captive. As far as job security I have been with Aflac for 8 years and if I don't sell a single policy this month I will make around $6,000 in renewal income. This is pay from my first 8 years of work. I get paid for policies that I sold in the past as long as the people keep their coverage in force. People keep their coverage because Aflac is a good company and they pay their claims fast and just the way the way they promise to.
I now have my own office and the work enviornment could not be better. I am my own boss. I have 1 employee other than myself and I make all the rules. If my son has a baseball game, I will be there. If he has a play at school, I will be there. If he gets sick and needs to be checked out early, I will be there.
Now, are there bad times? Absolutely, what job doesn't have its ups and downs. I have missed getting accounts because someone from Aflac or another competitor beat me to it. I have lost accounts because of changes in upper management at those accounts. I just lost an account last week because they were bought out my another company that offers policies from a competitor. However the great thing about Aflac is that those people can keep their policies at the same price on bankdraft or dircet billing. I can hide my head in the sand and lose those policy holders or help them continue their coverage with me and keep my renewal check strong each month.
My "upper management" has always been there for me because if I succeed so do they. We have opened accounts and lost out on accounts together and I have never had an account taken from me.
In closing I would like to say that no company is perfect I'm sure. I can say that Aflac has been great to me and my family and to many of my policy holders that have been diagnosed with cancer, heart attacks, or hurt in accidents. Usually the people that are complaining are the ones that just could not hack it so they take their frustration out on the company.

From Columbus, GA — 09/03/2008

There is a difference between associates and employees at Aflac. Associates are selling policies, and I'm sure it's not easy. Not everyone can do that kind of work. As an employee in Columbus, Georgia, things are great. You're expected to work hard but you also enjoy a solid work/life balance. Overall, people are kind, caring and genuine, unlike other places I've worked.