Work at AFLAC — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AFLAC pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AFLAC

From Georgia — 02/04/2010

I feel truly privileged to represent such a wonderful company!
Over the past 7 years, I have had the opportunity to not only earn a generous income based solely on my efforts but, to also feel accomplishment by serving policy holders.
I would highly recommend a career with Aflac if you have a positive attitude, are determined and enjoy helping others. I had no sales experience when I started but knew I wanted to be successful.
I would not say that it is always easy however, I will say that it is totally worth the effort!

From michigan — 01/30/2010

I have read the reviews and obviously the reviews are based on how someone did at Aflac. Those having made it several years love it cause they are making more money than they ever thought they could make and have renewals coming in and they have freedom of schedule. Those that did make it out of their first year are upset cause they made less money then they thought and probably invested more time and resource then results. Well the insurance industry is tough but you get into it because you want to be around long term. Join aflac only if you are intending to be with the company along time and do the work to get there, want to be self employed and feel like you have a manager that will acutally work with you and train you. If you want it then go for it. I struggled having never been in sales but I DID NOT GIVE UP. Try this for worse case scenario in terms of performance level combined with a commitment to staying long term. I have been with aflac for 13 years now, here are my annual income levels by year: 7,000 (yes I struggled but keep reading), 19,000, 38,000, 67,000, 98,000, 105,000, 120,000, 175,000, 240,000 (included a 80k bonus), 205,000 180,000, 180,000 , 150k. Did my income go down, yes I eventually became a regional manager and moved to take over a smaller region and am growing it so my incmoe will rebound ths year. Numerous trips, rewards stock and promotional opps and the best part is I am fully vented in renwals. I can leave aflac today and I am still getting paid nearly 100k a year., wihout even having to work for them.

How can people trash aflac? Trash the manager the hired you , trash your work ethic or trash your desire to this career but Aflac is great and more importantly we offer plans that make a difference in people lives. If you don't know the benefits of an aflac career or aflac policies, you don't know quack.

From in — 11/22/2009

It is what you put into it. If you don't put enough effort in, and you aren't following what is taught obviously you aren't going to do well. Of course, Indiana is top in the us in sales productions; maybe, that produces better environment for cultivating a good learning experience.

From IN — 11/17/2009

I just ended my 13 month stay with Aflac. When I say ended, I mean I'm not cold calling anymore. I'm not sure where others are from, but this market is saturated with Aflac.
I have a problem with many things. In no particular order:
1. Too many agents with no sales experience opening a few accounts, leaving the company, and not servicing the account. This looks very bad on Aflac.
2. 0 leads given. It's 100% cold calling, which is okay, except there are over 60,000 agents doing the same thing. Millions of dollars spent on ads giving out the phone number to millions of businesses, and no leads. Makes no sense.
3. Many small businesses use Quickbooks for their accounting needs. There is such a high saturation with Aflac products that Quickbooks has an Aflac tab. Enough said.
4. Training. You are not trained enough on the products, or the inner workings of Aflac. You're trained on one thing---the script. It's funny...they actually give you an answer to the objection of the business owner who says "you're the 5th Aflac person we've seen this month." Does that tell you anything?
5. The number one thing they tell you is you are your own boss and can set your own hours. Then out of the other side of their mouth is you have to work a lot of hours to be successful. I understand about working hard, I've done that my whole life, but they have the most innefficient system around.
6. Not family oriented.
7. Be prepared to run into existing account after existing account, and wasting your cold calling time by doing this. They could eliminate this easily if they just produced an existing account list.
8. Brokers hate Aflac, which is why such a tiny percentage of their business comes from brokers. Brokers control the big business' insurance decisions.
9. They do hire anybody. I've been there over a year and know of very few truly successful agents. There are a lot of agents who make about 20k after taxes, a few that make more, and a lot that make less. And you have to pay for everything, including $2,500 laptops.
They have a formula based on how many calls made, appts. set, employees seen...all to project income. The problem is that formula is old. They don't take into account how many existing accounts you will encounter. Plan on opening a lot of 3 person accounts where you write $1,000 in premium, make $350 before taxes and expenses, and take two weeks to do it, then hope the account pays its invoice.
I laugh at the comments reading if you want it, it's there. All you have to do is work hard. I've been in sales 16 years, I know how to sell.
I personally can't reccommend anyone work for them unless they had strong relationship with some PEO's who can funnel you business without cold calling. This is truly the only way to make a decent living without making 200 cold calls a week, and I don't mean on the phone.

From Pennsylvania — 11/06/2009

You cannot knock it until you have tried it. And when you try it if you are with positive, competent, and motivated people, you cannot lose. If you rated this company low it is only because you didn't do the best you could, or you didn't have the right people motivating you to make sure you succeeded.

From NC — 09/24/2009

Aflac has been an opportunity of a life time for me. This is not for everyone, but if you are willing to put the hard work and time into it the rewards will come.

From Montgomery, AL — 09/10/2009

I have been an AFLAC agent for about a month now, I've noticed a few patterns that people complain about that I want to clarify. I personally love working for this company; however, it seems I may be one of the few that knew what I was getting into when I started, and was well aware what this job would entail.

Many people say that AFLAC does little to no training. I am a fortunate person that my district coordinator, sits down with for 2 meetings a week to go over products and questions, and I have already made pretty good money due to my support from co-workers and my growing knowledge of the company; however, I am very tired of the pity parties I hear on comments here.

Here are a few points I would like to address - that all agents are made well aware of when they start

1. You are your own boss - this means that you are in charge of your income, and it is technically your responsibility to become knowledgeable about the products. We are not five years old, and no one is going to hold your hand when you are the boss. There may be little direction for many of you, which is unfortunate if your recruiter was not willing to help you much - this is not AFLAC's fault. Just like many companies, there are poor agents, and all agents are individual.

2. This is a commission based job - if you don't put in the hours on your own, you will not make the money you were hoping. if you cold call 2 hours a day - 4 days a week, that's only an 8 hour week. No one said the job force was easy, but you need to work at it to make money

3. This job is ABOUT COLD CALLING - this is no secret - and is never withheld. If you want business, you need to go out an get it. It's tiring to hear people bad mouth AFLAC because its all about cold calling - that's the job description. If you don't like that, that is not the company's fault, it's just not the job for you.

4. YOUR FIRST YEAR WILL BE TOUGH! - as this is a sales position, nothing can be guarenteed. Your first year, and especially first few months, people will not know who you are. You need to make yourself known - continue to follow up as much as possible - keep on a bright smile and keep up conversation. I have been doing this a month - but I do 30-40 cold calls a day - I don't expect money to fall in my lap easy because i'm in sales.

5. RECRUITERS - if you are upset because you feel a sales recruiter was not honest with you about the details about job - unfortunately you are not being very smart. Your SALES recruiter was trying to recruit you. THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SALE BY GETTING YOU TO JOIN - it is your responsibility to check to make sure this job is legitimately the one for you - it's no one's fault but your own if you are gullible and think " YAY - i'm in sales, i'm going to make 100000 my first year" - you need to work your way up, and work hard before the easy years come like any normal profession.

No honestly - stop blaming AFLAC because sales was not for you - this company is as great as it is and as big as it is for a reason - yes they tend to overhire - but its all about competition - stop crying because people can sell wherever, and there are too many people in one location. Just make sure that your location is aware of you - and that way, your name will be remembered and be spread to surrounding communities.

FINALLY - IF YOU DON'T LIKE COLD CALLING - DON'T DO INDIVIDUAL AGENT SALES!!

From Columbus, Georgia — 08/18/2009

I am an Aflac Headquarters Employee. I have been with Aflac for almost 4 years. I love the company. The people who write the negative reviews are either lazy, misinformed, or both. If an agent needs help -our call center is open from 8am-8pm Eastern, daily. I had to rate my co-worker competence down by 1 point, because like in every business you have one or two people who don't know what they're doing (but they usually get fired if they don't learn). I consider that fair. Please believe me when I say that if you speak to a call center representative we have received MONTHS of training- which includes hands-on training. If you speak to a representative that can help you in more than one area- such as Claims and Primary and Agent's Accounting- you can rest assured that the individual has 1)been with the company for a while , 2) knows their stuff!

That being said- Aflac is not perfect. No company is perfect. No employee is perfect. No agent is perfect. We all make mistakes. We take in and respond to hundreds of thousands of requests daily. We do care about our clients and we try to genuinely help them as much as possible. If a claims adjuster misses a benefit, they probably just did not see that information listed on the claim form- or the information was in an odd place. Claims processing specialists see thousands of claims a week- and the information is usually universally listed in a few places. If there is a mistake, Aflac is quick to correct this mistake. We strive to be as quick and as accurate as possible. Over the past year and a half we have had 0 blockage in the call center. What does that mean? It means that when you call- you might get placed on hold - but you won't ever get a busy signal! (This is a hard thing to accomplish- this is done daily w/ teamwork internally. Our call center employees decided to take on more calls daily to make the agent's and customer's lives easier). We might work in an office environment, but that doesn't mean that our job is less challenging than a field force agent. We spend most of our time training people- either agents/policyholders how to file documents- or telling business accounts how to access our user-friendly online service.

To the agents who are just complaining- believe me- I would not prosper in a sales job- but it's not Aflac's fault if you don't produce. It's YOUR OWN fault. You make your own business. If you don't understand something - by all means ask headquarters! We are here to HELP YOU.

If an account is "AFLAC H.Q."-ed into another agent's hierarchy - this is done by our marketing department because the account has requested an agent change, or because the current agent is no longer w/ the company 9 times out of 10.

Here are my other breakdowns: Respect- We earned it, we give it. It's a win-win situation.
Benefits: We are well-provided for with both Major Medical options, fun perks, 401k plans, Aflac policy options, gym membership options- we have our own classifieds, we get a lot of corporate discounts- and we even have an Employee Appreciation Week annually. (Not to mention yearly bonus! Yay!)
Job Security: Aflac has NEVER laid off a single HQ employee since the business was opened over 50 years ago. My job is safe as long as I report to work when I'm supposed to and I follow the rules.
Work/Life Balance: I have no take home responsibilities. I can keep my work and my life separate. Go in to work and if I help at least one person I'm a happy camper. Go home and don't think about work until the next morning.
Career Potiential/ Growth- I moved up in the company 2x in my first year and a half. You can move up quickly if you are smart and you can retain a lot of information.
Location: I live in the city where I work- Columbus GA is the 2nd largest city in the state. I love it here.
Co-Worker Competence: I work with a BUNCH of great people. No one fights. We are truly one team,- with one goal: assisting as many people as possible when they need us the most.
Work Environment: A++++, I have never been scared to report to work. I love my co-workers and many are good friends.

I would not trade this experience for anything in the whole world if it all ended tomorrow.

This is a job in which you truly can help people every day. The job is very meaningful and most of the policies are good, solid coverage. The few policies that we have that I do not recommend were good efforts, with good intentions, but they just weren't enough. (There are only 2 out of about 25 that I would not recommend).

Sales agents: It's all about attitude and drive. If you think you can succeed- you will. You have to go the extra mile. We can't hold your hand forever.
It's okay if you try it and you don't like it, at least you have the experience of a Fortune 200 company to put on your resume'. Look on the bright side every once in a while.

From St. Louis, MO — 08/03/2009

Sales isnt always sales. You need a good product and the support to back it up. However, you can have the best product and support in the world, but if you don't have the work ethic and skills to market it, you will more than likely fail. If you do fail, who is the easiest to blame? I have seen many come and go in the sales business. I have NEVER seen someone work Aflac professionally as a 8-5 job and fail...never.
The support from my management team has always been strong. I have seen very few managers who are more concerned about themselves than their team. A manager works for bonus. The only way that a manager can see success is if the people on his team are successful. Don't get me wrong, Aflac has some jerks, just like all companies, but I have worked with very few jerks (which seems to be the exception in sales).

Benefits would be nice, but as a contracted employee, health benefits are nil. But, my income is over double many of my grad school classmates, I travel often, my wife stays at home with the kids, and I see every little league game that I want...those are good benefits.
Career and Growth potential is what you make of it. My 1st boss retired last year at 35, I know others who have been around for 30 years. Some choose mangement, some don't. Some choose to relocate, some don't.
I like the vast majority of all of the people that I work with. Those that I don't care for, I don't hang around. I consider many of my co-workers close friends.

Some say that Aflac will hire anyone. To a certain extent, that is true. If someone has a good attitude and work ethic, they can do great with a company like Aflac. Education, experience and who you know seem to have very little influence on success. I grew up on a farm, worked my way through college doing construction. Thank you Aflac for hiring 'anyone', the opportunities that this company has provided have been great. Because of Aflac, I am able to help a lot of people, my kids will go to a better college, and it will even impact my grandchildren.
Simply because someone thought that the 'farm boy' deserved a chance.tfunk

From Marshall, MN — 07/27/2009

Okay so I've only just begun and one could easily argue that I since I have a very limit depth of exposure that I'm just naive or brainwashed as some would assert. Based on that let me back up a few feet and break it down in general. Sales is sales and, as such, it is what you make of it. If you're a worker and you're willing to not just put in the hours but put in 'smart' hours and think creatively about how to market yourself as well as not rely on another other person other than the fool looking back in the mirror, then regardless of what sales job you get into or where you are located you will do alright. If anyone was naive it was all the other reviewers who bought into the BS about unlimited income potential and making huge in their first year (or two for that matter) with only a little bit of effort. Shame on all of you and you deserve the mindless corporate job you may get.

I've ran my own business on the side for years while working other corporate jobs and nothing is more rewarding than landing the next deal, then being given the opportunity to deliver on all the promises you made and then get paid for it. The same can be said of Aflac or any other sales job (well maybe not car sales where you're resticted to the car lot).

From experience I would strongly suggest that anyone who plans on getting into sales first take a long hard look in the mirror and slap themselves awake, get the dollar signs out of their eyes and ask themselves (1) am I willing to struggle for several years while I master the product, the clientele as well as learn the techniques necessary to sell this product; (2) am I willing to struggle while I am committed to not sacrifice the content of my character in order to land a sale (there's enough sales sleaze-balls out there giving the rest of us a bad name) and (3) am I willing to struggle even when times are good (I know this sounds like a contradiction but anyone who has actually been in sales or owned their own business knows how one good month can mean three months of nothing because you put all your effort into one deal or let up when they handed you your first $80,000 commission check).

Bottom-line: quite whining about sales because you never gave it a substantial or worthwhile shot. Like life, sales is what you make of it and if your content with just getting by, then sales isn't for you.