Working at AFLAC — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AFLAC pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AFLAC

From Portland Metro, OR — 07/29/2010

**You want the BOTTOM LINE, here it is**

I have been with Aflac for 10 years. Many have been here longer, but many more not so long. I have been in management and a basic associate for about 5 years each. Contrary to popular belief, I have made more money as an associate these past 5 years than I did as a manager in the first 5. Below are some of the things I have personally experienced or observed. I will try to be unbiased and truthful. Whether you love the duck or not, I apologize ahead of time.

YES, Aflac is a good company with good products, service, claims, compensation, and a good name brand. Any company that uses a duck to advertise themselves and pushes hard to makes it a household name, is either crazy or has something really good to offer. Aflac has something really good to offer. But if you don't truly believe in it or see how it can personally benefit yourself, you will find it very difficult to convince others to feel that way and sales will suffer..

NO, Aflac is not a pyramid scheme. Aflac is a business. Successful businesses, in general, have an individual(or group) that started the company. Those guys hire people to operate different territories. Those guys then hire people to oversee their part of the business, like supervisors, managers, assistants, sales people, etc. So when the salesperson closes a deal, everyone above them reaps the benefits. When you buy a can of pop for $.75 there are a lot of people that get a piece. In Aflac, when an associate makes a sale, the guys above them get paid also. It's commission and that's how commissions work. Coordinators (Regions, Districts, States, Trainers,) only get paid when you are successful and make sales. More sales, everybody wins. As the associate you get the biggest chunk of the commission. Coordinators might get a meager contest bonus for contracting new associates, but the bulk of their compensation comes from when new and old associates are successful, make a lot of sales and stay with Aflac for a lifelong career. Coordinators need a lot of producing associates to make money and meet their quotas. Look up Pyramid Scheme and you will see how this is very different. Pyramid schemes hurt people while just a few take all the money. Aflac has thousands of successful sales teams around the world.

YES, the recruiters sometimes use the best experiences of others to relate to individuals interviewing for a job. Sometimes the numbers they use are not quite the average. Not everyone makes 50-100K their first year. Most will quit or go inactive within 3-12 months for a variety of reasons. They continue to recruit people because this is how they replace the ones that go away and how businesses grow. They don't talk about all the negative pieces of the business. Why would they fill the heads and hearts of new recruits with every potential objection and failure story.

YES, it is a commission sales job and you own your own business. I see on the recruiting adds "no nights, no weekends" all the time. But, how many successful business owners do you know that never work a night or a weekend. The truth is, if you want to be successful and have a long term career with Aflac you will need to put in some hours after 5pm and on the weekends. This does not mean that you are out making cold calls or sales at these times (even though I have made some of my single largest sales in the evenings) , but you will need to plan ahead for the upcoming day or week. Its a business and YOU have to run it. 40 hours isn't enough many times.

YES, some regional and district offices are holes in the wall, not by choice. Most are nice and well maintained. Aflac corporate does not purchase the office space for individual sales locations. Since the Region or District has to pay for the space themselves they may not have the resources to lease new associates "Class A" office space for token a $50 or $100 a month contribution. They may be new themselves and trying to build and grow a business. In order to do this you have to keep your overhead as low as possible without working out of a van or a garage. Since the vast majority of sales are made at businesses, as long as the office is functional I am sure this won't hinder growth and potential in sales. However, nice well maintained office conditions are strongly advised and recommended as soon as possible.

YES, sometimes you have to pay back commissions. Aflac sales is not a salaried position. Aflac will pay advanced commissions usually within 2 days of a policy being processed. These are ADVANCED. That means that you are being paid commissions that you have not earned yet. The advance is based on the annual sum of what you just sold ($50/month equals $600 annual sale). This system is really a gift to associates to help them get off the ground and keep them excited to sell more. However, if you sell a policy and the person you sold to does not keep their policy for a year, you will likely have to pay back some of the unearned commission. As long as a person continues to sell this will likely be absorbed with renewal commission. If a person has no or not enough renewal commissions they will see a debit balance on their statement rather than a credit. Eventually a person will have to pay this back if it is not corrected with payment from the policyholder or new sales. The Aflac managers are not responsible for paying back commissions for associates, even if they are no longer representing Aflac. Whoever got paid is responsible for the payback.

It's NOT for everyone, it's really HARD sometimes, you can have your best day and your worst day all in the same 5 minute span. I don't agree with every decision that has been made but its not my company. Overall it's been a good experience. Complaining won't reverse a bad experience but you might ruin it for someone else. And maybe, just maybe its our own fault when we don't succeed. Just try something else.

From Nationwide — 06/18/2010

Okay this is pretty straightforward.

First I am sorry that many of you have had negative expreiences.

Honestly this is like and unlike any other business. Agent own their own AFLAC company so of course there will be slum lords in some parts of the country - relatively speaking.

Have you ever been to an amazing McDonald's clean friendly courteous and the food was fresh. You travel some more and stop at another McDonald's only to find it smelly rude and afraid the food is crawing with bacteria?

Same concept ladies and gentlemen...there is good and bad in every person, race, religion, business. You have to take the good with the bad. If you've had a bad experience I urge you to go further up the chain to corporate.

AFLAC has a strong sense of family quality and customer service. Please contact corporate with your concerns.

As far as pay...you get what you give. If you have a poor DSC please contact corporate.

There are two types of people in this world and we need them both....leaders/business owners and followers/employees. If you're used to punching a clock and working under straight-forward guidelines then AFLAC is probably not for you. You have to be very disciplined to be a business owner.

The reason AFLAC has such a high turn over rate. Is number 1 there is more work than there are ants. So they hire frequently. AFLAC IS NOT AMWAY people lol. It is a business that gives you ownership and stock benefits.

The benefits are very enticing to people seeking employment and change.

People see the gold and not the whole perspective. Nothing of value ever came with out hard work, dedication, persistence and failure. You will have good months and bad months.

~AM

From Erie, Pa. — 05/03/2010

I have been with Aflac for 10 years and can't see myself doing anything else. I left a law career because I was working 24/7 and, with a small child at home, found that I could not balance home and work. With Aflac, I have grown my business while also providing quality care to my family. I have experienced a double digit growth in my income each year while setting my own schedule. I work on my terms - not someone else's. I set my own pay - the harder I work, the more I earn so I am not dependent on someone else's evaluation of my worth to the company. If you are not afraid of hard work and can look at "the big picture" you will not find a better company. If you want a babysitter or hand-holder, look elsewhere.

From Omaha, NE — 04/13/2010

This is a review on the call center job. Understand, this is a call center job you get into and that as such you are expected to be on the phones for forty hours a week. Any time not taking calls is a bonus.

Pay: Compared to other call center jobs, the pay is really good and really steady. You get decent salary and a set income so you can always pay the bills.

Respect: The company respects you if you respect it. Show up on time, do your job to the best of your abilities and you will be fine. Show up late and spend half the day text messaging and you are gone.

Benefits: This used to be a big negative, but the company listened and changed major medical providers. They now rank near the top for phone agents in the metro.

Job Security: They don't lie off and they don't fire for no reason. Unlike some of the other call center jobs, you go into work each day knowing you have a job.

Work/Life Balance: There is very little mandatory overtime. They also offer multiple schedule options including flex hours.

Career Potential/Growth: Unless by some fluke one of the leads or supervisors were to quit, there is zero room for growth. There are specialty teams you can promote to, but nobody ever leaves those. Be prepared to be a phone rep for the long haul.

Location: Not a bad location, it is near the interstate. A nicer building would be cool, but it isn't bad.

Co-Worker Competence: Better then your coworkers at a call center company, but they are still phone reps. Some are good some are bad. It is what it is. With new training and software you find yourself cleaning up others mistakes a lot less then you used to.

Work Environment: There is an employee lounge, frequent festivals for various things. Several times a year they bring music in to lighten the mood. There are committees you can join. It is a fairly interactive workplace if you want. They will also leave you alone if you want.

As someone that has worked for many of the call center companies in Omaha, you can't do wrong with Aflac. If you are willing to work they are ready to take care of you.

From Omaha, Nebraska — 03/29/2010

I was recruited to Aflac like many of you have been. I made sure that I researched the opportunity in depth. I am now starting my 11th year and could not even imagine doing anything else. I started as an associate (which is where everyone starts), was promoted after 2 years to a District Sales Coordinator and then approximately 5 years ago was promoted to a Regional Sales Coordinator where I have the pleasure of sharing this opportunity with others. The benefits that we offer are very easy to comprehend and discuss with potential policyholders so the learning curve is short. What's left then? Your commitment to walking out your door everyday 5 days a week and bring the "passion" to your prospective clients so that when they call you and were just diagnosed with a serious injury or illness and need CASH that health insurance does not provide, we can be there to help them keep their head above water. If you are considering a career with Aflac you need to realize that a majority of the bankruptcies in the US were not because families did not have health insurance-they didn't have income. THAT IS WHAT AFLAC PROVIDES! Simple as that. So by calling on small businesses or speaking with your neighbor YOU can potentially be one of the most important individuals that they ever meet because of what we do. Now if that is not a career to get excited about, I don't know what is. Sure you have to work hard everyday, but shouldn't you do that at any career-err.. job?

From Nebraska — 03/29/2010

Wow, I'm impressed by this website and as a Recruiter for AFLAC, it has really opened my eyes to what people really think about our company and our business model.

I will say this: Yes, we have a lot of people come and go, however, many of them explain during the interview process that they have the skillset that we are looking for:
1. The ability to run and manage their own schedule
2. Higher than average organizational skills
3. A zest for talking to people and building relationships
4. Being a quick learner
Let's face it, it's not too difficult to get through an interview process; Anyone can look good on a resume.

Here at AFLAC Nebraska, we have taken some significant changes in making sure that we are more carefully selecting candidates for this position that fit the above criteria and sometimes, the candidates that I think will have the most success, fail the fastest simply because they can't go to work.
95% of the time someone fails in our business is because they fail to "accept ownership" in what they are doing. We are all running our own businesses with the support of a team behind us. I truly feel like if I can make it in this business, anyone can. I was not a Straight-A student, but I was a hard-worker that loved talking to people and I couldn't stand being in an office during the day so for me this was the perfect match for what I was looking for.
I wouldn't recommend this career to anyone that is comfortable working 9-5 at a steady pace for a steady paycheck. However, I would recommend this career to anyone that was willing to go to work for something better: Family Life, Income, Business Ownership and Responsibility.
In an age of Instant Gratification, too many people feel like they are "owed" something. Not enough people are willing to work to get it anymore: Look at our economony...credit card debt, government bailouts, etc..Now the government is gonna take more money from us to pay for health insurance for people that can't afford it....please.
THIS CAREER IS ALL ABOUT THE AMERICAN DREAM: It's survival of the fittest and the opportunity to run and manage your own business.
Sometimes the truth hurts but if you didn't succeed in this business, is it because "you weren't trained?"....I doubt it. This is a very easy business to learn and AFLAC provides all of the tools, tests, etc..online at your convenience.
Or, did you fail at this business because you couldn't get out of bed at 8 in the morning? Maybe you were busy driving your kids around running errands, maybe you were playing golf or laying out by the pool at 2 in afternoon when the rest of the country was at work.

LIFE ISN'T FAIR BUT I TRULY BELIEVE YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE. That's the AFLAC Business Model: You will get out of it exactly what you put into it.

If you're interested in a great career, I encourage you to go to AFLAC 100%. But, you have to go to Work...literally.

From Racine, WI — 03/12/2010

I've been reading a lot of these reviews and I feel the need to throw in my two cents. I was just hired by Aflac, literally yesterday. I was never promised six figures in three years. In fact, I was given the distinct impression that I would NOT make six figures in three years. Did it sound too good to be true? Yes. So, I asked. You know what the guy who hired me said? The only catch is you HAVE to work, and work hard. I didn't get a runaround. I got, what I now see, is the truth. If I'm willing to work my bum off, I can succeed. And you know what? I'm not at all scared to make a small amount of money now in order to have the life I want in the future. I can't say for certain, yet, but it seems to me those of you who are griping about how much the company hates you are the kind of people who should never have been hired in the first place. That's not specifically an Aflac issue. Everyday people get hired for jobs that aren't a good fit. It happens. I arrived at my interview ten minutes early, in a suit. I took notes and sent a Thank You card before the post office closed that day. I got called back for a second interview in less than 24 hours. And, guess what? I have every intention of working just as hard to get customers. The fact is, Aflac is a good product with a rather impressive incentive package for it's employees, but you have to be willing to work. I am. So, two years from now, when I'm happy as a clam, I'll be back to talk about that too.

From NC — 03/07/2010

Alright I've read all of the good and bad reviews of other Agents so I thought I would go ahead and put my thoughts in here. First of all I only believe that 5% of people out there WILL succeed at this job. The reasons why are, most agents that are hired on cannot sell or talk to business owners. You have to have extreme self confidence and self discipline to keep yourself going. Let me make this perfectly clear, it is NOT easy and you have to work hard if you want to get anywhere in this business. It is going to take you a lot of homework, prospecting, referrals, and cold calling to be successful. However, from saying all of this, and still barely within my first year, it can be done. I am one of those few 5% that have succeeded and I did it in a crushed economy. Then again, I've also done my BUSINESS OWNER presentations since the first month and if I have any BIG piece of advice for any new agent it would be to practice that presentation until you can recite it in your sleep. By getting that flawless, I write my own paycheck at Aflac where others cannot. So, is it possible to get a decent salary at this job in a crushed economy? Most definitely, but you have to keep going, work hard every single day. I'm not going to tell you that it is easy, because it is not. But can you do it, YES, if you put the work into it. Good luck!

From Boston — 02/15/2010

I love the duck and the duck loves me. i have often worked really hard, and my manager is really hard and that's why we fit.

Be a good person, and do what you're told and you will be taken care of by the people who care for you the best. I think my place is great. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want, but thats okay because you get money and bonuses and sometimes you can go out and have a good time.

From Columbus GA — 02/06/2010

Alright, now I know that this job is not for everyone but I don't just blame the DSC/RSC or Aflac for bringing all these people onboard. The blame goes to WALLSTREET and the stock holders of the company! They DEMAND that Aflac recruit more and more people everyday. In their eyes, the more recruits, the more money! It's called GREED!! I think that this will turn around soon because the company can not continue on this course. There is a proplem!

Now for the job. You will NEVER find another company that will take you from 0 to hero better/faster than Aflac! When I started over 10 years ago, I was a very average guy making $25,000 a year in a dead end job.

Being in the 5% top income earning in America now proves that Aflac is FOR REAL! I didn't have to screw anyone, take advantage of anyone, lie to anyone etc. I just had to WORK HARD FOR IT!

With that said, if your broke NOW, have a family to support, do not have a positive attitude, DO NOT START WITH AFLAC!!!!! It's very tough out there! However, if your single or fresh out of college looking for sales experience or you have money put back and a good attitude ready to grow your business, THIS IS FOR YOU.

1st year you'll make from 15k-25k on average. Don't worry, the money get's better as you grow. My 2nd year I made $48,000 and 3rd year around $80,000. Market sucks with too many agents running around but you will get a group here and there.The good news is, you will get better at it with practice and there are more new businesses opening in the US everyday. There will always be a new customer for you.

Hope this helps