Working at Advanced Auto Parts — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Advanced Auto Parts pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Advanced Auto Parts

From marietta,Ga — 05/20/2010

So far this a great co to work for.After coming from the competition ,this job is a dream
If you do your job it is rewarding not with just the pay ,the employees are good

From Pennsylvania — 10/07/2008

PAY: The pay you receive at this company would have to depend on the type of experience you have and the type of manager you will be working for. My colleague store managers in our division agree with the "you get what you pay for" attitude. If we want good help, we have to pay for it. I demand the same respect from my divisional manager, which he does pay me the same respect back for my hard work. I also pass this respect to the rest of the hard working members of my team. The pay is similar to what would be seen at any other local automotive retailer, although most of my team members that have spent time with other companies admit that it's worth a pay cut to work for Advance. (Maybe just to work for me...) And no, I don't try to exploit that. I consider my pay above average compared to previous experience.

RESPECT: Respect in my store is perfectly in line with our store's professional image. In my store everyone in our team shows respect. We practice following the 7 ideal characteristics which everyone agrees helps our store be a special place to work, and for the customers, a special place to shop. I consider my respect extremely above average compared to previous experience.

BENEFITS: The benefits are very similar to other retailers. One benefit I particularly like is the 20% discount on any in-stock merchandise including performance parts available in our warehouses (like Edelbrock manifolds and cylinder heads). I previously worked for Pep Boys, which excluded this 20% discount from oil, antifreeze, tires (which we don't sell) and any merchandise that wasn't located in the store. I'd have to complain that they changed our health plan similar to that of what I had at the 'Boys also. The stock and 401k packages are competitive. I consider my benefits above average compared to previous experience.

JOB SECURITY: Security is there if you do what you are trained, given that you were blessed with a good training manager. This company, as we know it, is driven by efficiency and effectiveness. Effectiveness is something that we managers review on a daily basis through reporting. It is challenging to balance the effectiveness of your team and job retention when the effectiveness of a team member is not there. Of course, job security ideally comes hand-in-hand with performance. Under this premise I'd say if your performance is there, your security is more likely also there comapared to other similar companies. I consider my job security above average compared to previous experience.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: On salary, I've been working 55+ hours a week. I always have the worry of what may be going on at the store. As a store manager, the balance is hard to achieve unless you have a well established and well trained team. As an hourly team member it's easier to leave work thoughts at work when you leave. The retail scheduling can sometimes be challenging, but most of our team has a somewhat established routine that is fair to everyone. I consider my work/life balance below average compared to previous experience.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: I've been with the company for just over one year and gotten promoted from Assistant Manager to Store Manager. I was fortunate to work for another Store Manager and Division Manager that were fully engaged in my training and development. Coincidentally a new store was built locally to me, and I was privileged to be promoted to manage a new location. I'm very curious as to how much effort it will take for me to become eligible for a Divisional Manager position. I see that many store managers have been discouraged by the few Divisional Manager positions that are available. I hope that my attitude and attributes that have allowed my advancement will continue, and that my management will allow me that respect. I consider my career potential/growth extremely above average compared to previous experience.

LOCATION: My original location started approximately 20 minutes from my home. After being transferred to the new location, I am now about 10 minutes from my home. The company has a "Career Opportunities" link on the company intranet, which allows in-house employees to transfer or promote into open positions in stores throughout the country. Of course this would depend on qualifications and recommendations. I consider my work location extremely above average compared to previous experience.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: Most of the company team members are "recycled" through the automotive retail industry, so most have experience from other companies. The competence of any team member totally depends on the training and development opportunity they were offered. I take full responsibility and take the competence of every team member in my store personally. I make sure every new team member gets at least 2 full shifts to work on the new hire training program before expecting them to help customers. This way all team members understand the history and mission objectives of the company at the least before interacting with the customers. Every company will have a tough situation in a store in which the store manager doesn't take pride in the success of each and every person on his/her team. The main difficulty in development is the fact that the company micromanages every aspect of daily tasks, but does not allot time to schedule training of employees. I consider my co-worker competence above average compared to previous experience.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: I feel that each store environment reflects the quality of the team that works in it. In our store everyone is always professional, and we keep things fun. I've seen some complaints about SPIFFS and other sales objectives on this forum, but what can be more fun than having a competition and getting paid extra for it. It's all what the store manager develops the team to make of it. Everyone in my team works very hard, but we have a great time doing it. I consider my work environment extremely above average.

From lynchburg,va — 07/17/2008

advance auto parts is an excellent company to work for. i have been
with them for 3 yrs now and the comaraderie is great.

From jacksonville,fl — 04/10/2008

wow, i love working for advance auto parts. i have been there for years. i have seen many people come and go,but it has always been because they did stupid thing to get fired for. everyone has always been there if i need them or anything. it really is a great place to work....