Working at ADT Fire & Security — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ADT Fire & Security pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ADT Fire & Security

From Corona, CA — 10/20/2010

I've been working for ADT the past 2 years... the dealer program is great... if you find a good dealer you will be so happy , the work environment es nice... you make your own hours... and pay is excellent! They only way to NOT make money with ADT is being a lazy person.... I work 30-40 hours weekly and my pay is is never less than 1,500 weekly... If I work more than 40 hrs a week my check is over 2,000 all the time... every week.... and is just commission based job!!! All this people who's complaining about the recruiters promises is just mad because they were not good enough to make a living from a commission based job... doesn't matter how good is the company, how high the commissions are, or how much they love and respect their employees..... if you are not for sales... or your self esteem is low... then there is no way to make money out of sales jobs!!!

From Burnaby BC Canada — 07/11/2010

It doesn't get any worse. This company is not worth working for or having them monitor your security system. I had 8 months or lies, dishonesty and outright horrible work place. They will BS you from day one and begin to believe thier lies. Make a deal with the devil is better than working for ADT.

From Kansas city,mo — 07/06/2010

This company needs to learn to respect it's employees and most importantly it's customers. This company is supposed to be the best in the business and is the worst in respecting it's customers, once they have signed you on then you can forget the persistance it took to get you as a customer. Working for ADT is no picnic, there is little effort to make for a comfortable work environment. There is little effort to make sure you know more than the customer knows when they call in for assistance. New technology comes out and the main people that need to know how to use the equipment has no idea half the time when the customer calls in for help. It is not because the operator answering your call doesnt want to help you. It is because the company feels the need to put out new products without giving the operators the manuals to read.....

From Toledo, OH — 06/21/2010

If you're like myself, you're looking at this website after getting a call from a recruiter, or after seeing an online job posting for ADT. When I saw the negative comments, I wanted to stay away, but I needed a job as I was on unemployment at the time. I thought at $50,000 per year, its better than waiting on my unemployment check. Boy was I wrong.

Depending on what kind of sales you are doing, whether it be "new sale" or "resale" its all the same garbage. I will list my frustrations in bullet form to make it easier to read:

* Telmar leads. These are the leads that the company provides you. One in 15 is a good lead. The bad ones are "outbound" leads, and 75% of those you don't even get in the front door (cancel before the appt, no show you, ect). Depending on what market you're in, you could drive up to 2 hours for an appt and the customer doesn't show up. The company doesn't care either. You're not allowed to call the appt. beforehand to confirm. Thats 4 hours of your day wasted.

If you don't sell enough "SG's" (self generated sales) they take telmar leads away from you. In this area, people are so damn scared of being scammed by door to door salespeople or telemarketers, even if they DO want a security system, you'd be lucky to sell them by knocking on their door or calling them.

* Phone calls. In addition to being a sales rep, the company also wants you to be a telemarketer. They give you call lists to use, which are beyond useless. The corporate telemarketers have called these numbers so many times that if you do actually talk to someone, they are usually pissed that ADT is calling them again. You're better off calling straight from a phone book. They make you call through gryphon, which is a do not call compliance system. They claim it is so that you aren't illegally calling people, but sales managers use it to track how many calls you've made, who you're calling and when you're calling them.

Making phone calls in resale is a little better but still sucks. At least the call list they give you isn't as useless, but getting the numbers to call through the "ASAP" computer program almost caused me to punch my computer.

*HR. They seem to care less what their lower level managers are doing. I've seen so many HR violations either ignored or punished with a slap on the wrist. But if a sales rep merely calls a customer when they aren't supposed to, they are more than willing to fire you.

*Customer cancellations. First, know up front that this is a commission only job as a sales rep. When you sell a job, they pay you the commission up front. For ANY reason, if that job cancels, they take the money from you. So if you do EVERYTHING right, and someone else in the company pisses that customer off and they decide to cancel, you lose the commission. Most of the other staff around you is hourly, so they could care less if a customer cancels because an installer kicks a dog or falls asleep, or they get billed 3 times for the same thing they already paid for.

Even if by some miracle nobody pisses your customer off and your job actually gets installed, ADT can still take half your commission back within 6 months of the installation if the customer cancels or stops paying. So if you're working in an urban setting and you sell nothing but what they call "flats" (basically the $99 security system you see in the paper or on TV) you get paid a LOW flat rate commission. You usually know that the customer can't afford the monthly rate and has no intention of paying the bill. What do you know, they stop paying, ADT cancels them and takes half of your money back.

*Auto allowance. They give you money on your weekly paycheck to "cover" you using your own car and gas for this job. It's not nearly enough to even cover the gas, let alone the miles you put on your car and the wear and tear that comes with it. The weekly auto allowance is barely enough to cover your benefits, and in some cases, its not enough.

*Paperwork. ADT wastes so much paper its not even funny. For each job you sell, you need a packet of information to have your manager approve. In my office, no less than 40 sheets of paper are used for each job needing approval. It usually takes 15-20 minutes of paperwork for each job you sell. Soon you'll have to start scanning it so that some schlep in Florida can reject it because you didn't dot an i.

*Career Advancement. This doesn't exist unless you're interested in sales management. I guarantee after 2 months of being at ADT, you'd rather be 6 feet under than take a sales manager job. I have other notes here, but if I put them down and a manager from this area reads it, they'd know it was me and fire me.

*Job security. Like another person said, it doesn't exist. You can go from golden boy/girl to outcast in 1 month. If you aren't at quota, they treat you like you insulted their mothers.

I could go on and on, but I think you should get the idea. In a nutshell, I was able to pay my bills on unemployment before I took this job, and now, I can't pay my bills. ADT ruined my unemployment, and all I have to show for it is an ulcer.

Whatever you do, think LONG AND HARD about taking a job as an ADT sales representative.

From SAN FRANCISCO — 04/04/2010

I can tell you that as a sales REP you are only worth what you sold that month. Admin and most sales reps are miserable just looking for the next lead to hit the schedule. Management plays god with the leads giveth and taketh away. Do not work for this company.

From Jacksonville, FL — 02/02/2010

Unsure why everyone is entering such negative comments....i LOVE working at ADT! They are amazing!! Great company, fortune 500! Great training program, great employees, great pay, a lot of opportunity for advancement, discounts, great environment....I mean i just have nothing negative to say I LOVE ADT!!

From Ohio — 10/22/2009

I work for the dealer program. I have read some of the reviews. I would tend to agree. I have tried to make a relationship with corporate and that will never happen. As a part of the ADT family, you think ADT would want to team up and work together with the dealer program. ADT is about protecting familys and businesses and taking care of custoers. Unfortunately it is a childish battle. The dealer program will always win over corporate. So therfore corporate will pout and cry and point fingers at the dealer everytime. The dealer program signs up a majority of the ADT customers and when there is an issue Corporate acts like they are clueless and makes a bad name for the dealer program. When really the dealer can sign great deals for good people all day long; and it seems corporate somehow pisses off the customer playing dumb when all they want is basic customer services or basic assistance which is corporates responsibility.
My company is also a Directv Retailer. It is amazing the difference. Directv is proud of the retailers and will go to bat for them every time. It is a breath of fresh air to be a part of their program. They respect everyone on their team and will always provide opportunites for all. This is why they receive awards year after year in customer service. If ADT doesn't treat you right, try Directv.
Just like anything else, the opportunity is what you make of it. We have people come and go as ADT sales reps, and the ones who stay are successful, all because they know how to work as a team and they know that being successful is all about NOT being lazy and working hard. In the ADT world, your income is based upon your effort. I would never ever work for corporate, but as long as the dealer program is out there, I will call ADT home. I have even had people come from corporate down to the dealer program and are very happy. If anyone from corporate is unsatisfied, I will tell you this, if you can find a good dealer and can find a group that loves to work hard and knows how to work with people, you will be able to be happy with your job. Benefits may very depending on the size of the dealer and who runs the dealer, but the money is not an issue from my experience. Finding leads or sales in the security world is hard, but once you learn the system it is quited easy. We have people keeping busy 7 days a week with appointments. We also allow people to set their own hours. Most people are comfortable with a certain income, some want to grow and are very money motivated. If you are comfortable making a couple hundred bucks a week then you work part time. If you want the big house on the hill, then you will be out networking and learning how to work the door. Door to door paved the way for sales years ago. It has never died. If you are willing to hit the doors, you can make a great living. People need security, if you think you don't you are crazy. We follow police reports and we follow up with customers. Why you wouldn't protect your family, home, and investment, it's beyond me. We all pay a crazy amount for insurance, it should be a no brainer to purchase security.
This job is and can be very rewarding. I know there are lots of crooked dealers or corporate branches out there, however ADT is a great product, you just have to find a good group to be a part of. Not every McDonalds or Walmart or even doctors office is the best. But there are good establishments out their whatever it is you want to do. If you want good things to happen, then surround yourself with good people. And as for as potential and growth, or balance, that falls on the idividual.

From kansas city, missouri — 07/07/2009

ADT is a great place to work if u enjoy an office setting. Starting pay is nice for kansas city. Training for the starting level of emergency dispatcher is very easy to understand and the staff are very respectful and kind and help you succeed in the first entry level of working with ADT and can last up to 4-5 weeks either in the morning or evening. As emergency dispatcher you are responsible for contacting the persons needed to resolve the issues including authorities. for example: if you recieve a burglar alarm, you are responsible for contacting the home or business,authorities having jurisdiction and/or contact or family memebers listed. It gives you a great sense of helping others in a time of possible crisis even though your not there. Even though the emergency dispatcher position is a great opportunity i would advise remaining in this position.

WHAT IS NOT GOOD: The next department up is the technology department with the position of customer service specialist I. Listen to the warings co-workers give u about this department because before you actually get into it you will have no idea what your really in for. The pay raise is only .50 to 1.00 more depending upon the shift you choose. training weeks last longer and the learing materials are more like reasources than things you can learn or take home to study about unlike the department before. Its about a week of looking at reasources and your back on the phones with a new agenda; to help customers disarm,an/or troubleshoot their alarm system over the phone in which most cases its extrememly loud, and u have a scared,pissed or frantic person on the line makes ur job alot harder. If you cant help the customer fix the situation then you will schedule a technician to service the home. Calls come at a much faster rate than the regular alarms. There are also alot of things that can take away your bonus like to many cancellations of tech jobs and/or the reverse scheduling too many which can happen more often than not. If the parts of the system is down which will more than likely be your reasources needed to disarm the system you will have to wing it! They do have what is call assistance line you can call when your completely stuck on something. But be prepared to be disappointed becasue alot of times the assistance person(s)have no idea what there talking about! Besides all of that you dont have a permemant desk or cubicule its a first come basis and is very difficult to locate a chair in which most of them are very broken. Sanitation..... you should keep products with you dont use their an always wipe down your area or you will stay sick in there. Last but not least, its way too far if you dont live in tiffany springs area, but the local bus does travel out there.

From Wilmington, NC — 09/25/2008

I work for ADT now, and have been there for about 6 months. I find it to be what I expected. I don't know how other security system companies pay, but I find it to be a good salary for someone really getting their feet wet in outside sales. Sure there is a lot of work to be done, but isn't that true with any career? The benefits are great and worth so much in addition to the pay. I would say that the office could use some help, but we are moving to a new location soon which is apparently going to be much bigger. Overall, I am pretty happy with the choice I made to move to ADT.