Work at ADP — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ADP pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ADP

From Fort Myers, FL — 12/10/2007

I am actually going to add a positive comment on this company. ADP is great. You won't find a company out there that cares about its employees as much. Management really makes an impression on employees and the management team in South Florida is impeccable. You are a lucky person if you get a role with this organization. For those that don't have positive feedback it may be because of the management you were working under. I've seen the corporate culture work under great management and there is no better place to work. For those that commented on the sales roles, you are right, if you don't work or don't have prior experience in sales, an Outside Sales role with ADP is not for you and I don't think this is your place to start your sales career. Get experience first and then come to ADP. The work-life balance is unbelievable. It is night and day to what I am used to. Benefits are great, but high priced. ADP does run on a slim budget in the offices, but you will be taken care of as a sales rep....laptop, car allowance, phone allowance, training and support. The thing is you make your own success in any role and with ADP you can be your own worst enemy or if you are willpowered and focused you are going to have a bright future with this company.

From California — 10/10/2007

Definitely a good company for work for, with a few faults here and there. Highly reccommended if you can sell.

The biggest imperitave is: you've got to SELL at a high rate and be comfortable with attracting a majority of sales through cold-calling.

Pay is decent, but I gave it a "0" because it isn't what management would lead you to believe. Through the interview process, the numbers thrown around seem fantastic, but on the job you will find that they are quite unrealistic. First year DM's that meet there quota should expect no more that 45k (including 35k base), which is decent, but not great considering all the work you put in.

Benefits aren't as cheap as I thought they would be, but it is nice to be fully covered. Car allowance is a major weakness, as it barely (or often doesn't) covers gas, without even coming close to your payments or insurance. Corporate tried to address this by using company cars, but recently cut the program as it became too expensive.

As with any sales job, security is a big question mark. If you are behind, they won't fire you, but it will be very, very uncomfortable to remain as an employee. Pressure is indirect and usually delivered in a positive sandwich, but it WILL get to you if your number is below the mark.

If you want to succeed, expect a less of a work/life balance. Being this is an outside sales job, you can easily put in a 30 hour week, but it will reflect in your number. To be successful, you really need to put in a 10-11 hour day and do some organizational/preparation work on weekends. Of course, management won't tell you to do that extra work, but once you work here you'll find out that working more than a 40 hour work week is necessary for success (or at the least, getting close to your quota).

Career growth is great...if you can sell. If you meet your quota in the first year, you will be promoted and will receive a nice raise in base salary...but commissions will be knocked back down to 10%, and your quota will be nearly doubled. If you want to be in management, you must reach Presidents Club...two years in a row is the norm...as well as demonstrate team leading abilities by helping out other reps.

Location is subjective. Sometimes you can get a territory that is two hours away from where you live...or if you're lucky you'll get one that's closer. Don't let them fool you, some territories are better than others, I've seen the turnover to back it up.

Co-worker competence isn't fantastic. To be honest, a lot of people here are not too bright, they just know how to sell & stay organized. I've heard that they've hired people without a college degree in the past, so those looking for your big break, you might have a chance here.

Being said, the work environment, while high-pressure, is very relaxed in terms of ettiquette. Luckily, this isn't a cut-throat sales environment as the staff gets along very well, backstabbing is unheard of. Happy hours are common, and conversations aren't always uptight & corporate.

Administrative support is a little weak, HR is centrally located in New Jersey. (Kind of ironic that a corporation who sells HR doesn't have a dedicated rep for its territorial offices).

***I'd highly suggest avoiding this job if you can't sell. They will hire you if you think you can sell or not...but the training isn't enough. I've seen people hired here who are seemingly talented, and even with the best of their efforts, they are not able to meet their quota. They eventually crash & burn or leave for something else. The thing is, that with all their talents and work ethic, they were not able to sell. Keep this in mind if you have doubts about your selling abilities.***

***However, if you can sell, remain organized, and be able to put in a full day, you will definitely succeed here!***

Turnover is high, likely because management gambles too much on people who have common skills similar to those of a salesperson, but are not ACTUAL salespeople. Once on the job, management will encourage you along the way - the environment can be overly optimistic at times - and training is ongoing. But you've got to be aggressive, persistent, and slightly unethical to do this job well. Just because you're social, organized, and smart does not mean you will succeed here. You must be able to sell.

Training is too short, and is thus comparable to a cram session...as such, for your first few months you'll be absolutely clueless regarding product knowledge (unless you have prior experience in the payroll/tax filing field). This is why it's important that you know how to sell...your first few months will rely on your selling skills and not your product knowledge. This is why most people fail, as they get off to a bad start and aren't able to pick themselves back up.

When it all comes down to it, ADP is a sales job...eerily similar to car sales...BUT with positive management that works hard to inspire you, a decent base salary, and better rewards. Frankly I don't know why they do not hire more successful car salesmen...because that's what this job takes...a REALLY thick skin and the ability to sell DAILY.

If you do well, you will be rewarded...but only a select few actually reach the level of rewards often promoted during recurring contests. For most, this job is a just stepping stone for a better job.

Thanks for reading. I hope it didn't sound like I dogged the company...because it is a great place to work if you do well. I'm just trying to help out those who are looking at working here and have some doubts. I'm hopeful that this will prevent some people from making the wrong career choice (like myself unfortunately) and likewise steering others - who are more sales-savvy - in the right direction to ADP!