Working at ADP — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ADP pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ADP

From Baltimore, Maryland — 03/10/2010

I have been with ADP for over 20 years. I came to ADP with a great work ethic. I worked hard, took advantage of the training they provided and have moved up within the company. I am familiar with operations, implementation, national accounts and major account sales. From a sales perspective, and in my experience, the people who come here and fail are usually people that expected to be spoon fed information, wanted someone else to tell them what to do every minute, and weren't willing to work past 5pm in the evening. The only people that are micromanaged are those that do not perform.

I have seen very little "favoritism". Our best sales people sell. They are not lucky. They are smart. They leverage the resources that ADP provides and they work their butts off. They are recognzed and rewarded for those efforts. That's not favoritism, it's the nature of sales.

We do put people through a grueling interview process. It's a priviledge to work here and a lot is invested in new hires. If they can't cut it, we cut them.

A word of advice ... if you're not willing to work hard, don't bother applying. That goes for every department at ADP. If you don't put in the effort, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. We don't need you.

From ON — 10/15/2009

ADP Canada was a fair organization to work for until 2 years ago when the US parent took over much of IT operational functions (the utility model). The culture has since been full of deep mistrust. This has been caused by significant job reductions, cancellation of annual employee survey (Q12), cancellation of annual raise (2009 at least), reduction in bonus to approx 50% of prior years. The current economy downturn has greatly magnified the distrust ...especially with much offshoring of jobs....ie: draining from Canada to the US, from the US to India.....nearly every department seems to be involved with sending something to India....literally.

All in all, ADP is not a good employer anymore. It's actions are dictated by the greedy board/shareholders.
It's futue is very bleak and is probably ripe for a takeover/merger with another payroll firm.

From California — 07/03/2009

I work in SBS somewhere in California. I will not be specific as I am sure if I did my identity would easily be revealed. I am a sales administrator and work in a sales only satellite office. I have been with ADP almost 5 years. I was happy with the company until the last couple years. I feel that we as administrators are expected to know and do so much but are very underpaid. I have NEVER received a raise but only the cost of living raises except for this year. This has made it very tough on me with the way this economy has been and higher prices on everything. They offer good benefits but are really expensive and have continued to go up each year.
Our work load has continued to grow and most of the time we work through our lunches. When we try to request overtime for this, they tell us we should have taken a lunch. If they want some of the hot projects completed on time it would be impossible not to work through lunch. I am sick of working for free. One nice benefit is that they do offer tuition reimbursement but not close enough to pay it all. I went back to school, finished and received my Bachelor's degree almost a year ago. All I got was "good job" and no help with trying to find any other positions within the company. As mentioned before NO RAISE.
ADP is all about sales. They care so much about the sales representatives and nobody else. We as the administrators sit in the background with very little recognition. The sales reps are taken out for happy hours, team building events, and get gifts and extra bonuses just for doing their job. We get NOTHING for doing our jobs. The sales reps would not be able to function or do a lot of the things they do if it was not for us. Our office is like a day care center. They whine to us and we have to stop with what we are doing and meet their every need. The only time we receive any recognition is at Christmas, Administrative Professional Day, and MAYBE our birthday.
The upper management does not care for us at all. When our division vice president comes to visit our office, he does not say a word to us or ask us how we are doing. He just walks by our desk with his head up in silence. We are like dirt to him. He may be just like all those that run the company in NJ because I definitely can tell he is from the East Coast.
Now that it has been almost a year since receiving my degree, I continue to search for another job. I am thankful I have a job right now in this economy but can't wait to leave.I did not mention that my boss has no respect for me either. I can tell from his expressions that I am stupid and incompetant. I can't wait until my days are over with ADP. I also always thought I would recommend ADP to others for their payroll products, but after reading many of the other reviews I am not so sure now!

From CA — 05/09/2009

Well- Salary is decent when you are just starting your career (38k and $525 millage and cell phone untaxed incentve- about $3500 month gross)
Respect was good, but I am the type of individual that you don't want to disrespect, so maybe thats why I can say it was good and since I am a male.
Benefits were decent, as I spent less on Kaiser working for my previous company.
Job security is terrible. You can get fire, laid off, and you will never know it's coming, even if you are performing well. As for me, along with many others, I worked there for under 6 months and was laid off. The worst part about it was that I left a steady job to work for ADP and they let me go to where now I am unemployed at the worst time of the century and have to job search all over again.
On the contrary, work life balance worked for me. I enjoyed having the freedom to be out of an office. Work environment was good; I liked mostly all of my associates, plus my manager was excellent. Location was cool since they kept me in places that weren't too far to drive to. Co-worker competence: There was a few times where I would notice how immature some of the managers would act. They would make jokes during weekly meetings, as if they were still in grade school and lacked the maturity to pay attention. Grow up. If you plan to work for ADP--it is a good company, but always be prepared to look for work, regardless of how successful you are (network-keep those relationships), career growth looked positive (I didnt have a chance to experience it), however, every thing is based on how well of a performer you are when it comes to anything in this company, especially career growth (every company is like that). Great place to begin a career, you'll get a lot of respect from other employers if you do well here.

From Elk Grove Village, Illinois — 03/24/2009

First off, it really depends on what area you are planning on going into. ADP offers many different services and each service has different departments with different experiences. The one I am commenting on is for the benefits implementation area.

Pay - Above average and better than most of the competition

Respect - Much like anywhere you go, you need to prove yourself

Benefits - They good be a better than what is offered, decent medical and dental and pretty good vision plan.

Job Security - More work than we can handle at the moment, so job security seems pretty locked up

Work/Life balance - As long as you stay on track and do your work, you should not have to work much overtime, and the reason why I say much overtime is because compared to my last job where I would work 70+ hrs regularly, working a MAX of 50 hrs once in a while is not that bad.

Career potential / growth - Offer courses and additional trainings to better your knowledge to help you grow into better positions

Location - Excellent, many associates are being offered to work from home on a regular basis

Co-worker competence - Again this depends on what department you go to, the department I work in, I feel that the people around me are competent and willing to help

Work Environment - Working from home full time, so the environment is great! Less stress during the 10 ft commute

From Alpharetta, GA — 10/24/2008

ADP is a great place to work for several reasons: 1) low employee turnover, excellent employee tenure 2) culture encourages career growth, promotions 3) fun place to work- we like to let loose and do fun activities. 4) employees feel appreciated and valued 5) ADP places a high priority on charitable giving. Truly an Employer of Choice

From FL — 09/24/2008

This is my 3rd year at ADP. I started right out of college and this is my first "real" job. I decided to write a real review based on a lot of things people are saying. Everything I'm saying is the truth. Believe me I don't live and breath corporate America but ADP is a solid company.

100% True, there is a ton of turnover in first year associates in SBS. Any sales job is going to have that but I personally have never seen anyone get fired for not performing. They want to develop their people, but if you don't sell you don't make good money. I started at 34k my first year base salary, 3% match 401k, and I got a company car which they have since done away with (replace with $550/mo expense act). I finished above quota my first year, which was actually only about 8.5 months. I made about 60k, not bad for a partial year.

For my mediocre performance (slightly above quota) they raised my salary by 6k to 40k at the beginning of the year. My second year I achieved presidents club. Building the pipeline the first year allowed me to get more business with a similar effort. Getting the hang of the product and competition takes time as well. I went on 3 trips paid for by ADP at really nice resorts. Cancun, Peurto Rico, and most recently Hawaii. I don't want to say exactly what I made but I will say it was in the 6 figures.

You can choose to not work, sit at home and collect salary. You will hate life b/c every week during roll call you are constantly rolling donuts. If you don't do anything to change that you end up a statistic. Don't get me wrong I questioned myself and my career plenty of times. Some days you have it and some days you don't. It's an emotional game, but if you do good there are tons of opportunities. I have seen just as many people be successful and make great money as I have seen people leave the company. They want you to stay. They create new opportunities and promote people all the time.

In SBS you network with accountants and ADP has partnerships with many large banks you can work with to get into businesses and leverage the relationship. Much better than most first year sales jobs where you make 40 calls and knock 40 doors everyday to get business.

ADP is financially secure, your job is secure, there are tons of opportunities for sales rep for those who work. That's pretty big in today's economy. For the most part, the problems is too many people get comfortable being average, they hate life b/c they aren't selling but if you put them in any other outside sales position they couldn't sell there either.

I'm now in year 3. My salary is well over 50k I'll say that and my W2 is already over a 100k and its Sept. I would say across the country the average 1st year rep does make about 45k and 2nd year make about 60k+.

All I can say to those looking at ADP or sales in general. Don't get in sales if you plan to being average...

From Parsippany, NJ — 08/04/2008

Career growth. Depends on the department you are with - Marketing professionals seem to move well, othe groups take much longer.

From Buena Park, Californ — 04/15/2008

I've been with ADP Client Services for close to a year. Like my ratings the pay is decent and not bad and the job security so far is great. I was making more money than I did in my last job and ADP does have benefits. It's not that bad and these days I'm glad I have a job. ADP seems to have a really good reputation but I sometimes wonder about the people they hire.

In client services we are suppose to help the client with any issues but after a while I feel bad because we stop caring. Wonder why? like most of you we get call after call and Its understandable but we try to have time off to work and follow up with our clients and we can't. Isn't that bad customer service? I've heard complaints and complaints from angry clients about not following up and the managers are just doing their jobs but it doesnt work out. We are not judged by the great work we do or great service we give(for the most part). We are judge by numbers. How we come in and out of work and how long our hold time and talk time is. That is all they care about and its understandable its necessary to manage a call center but they dont want to pay the extra time or give us extra time to follow up with the client.

ADP is great and Im just venting. There are worse jobs out there and im fortunate. But honestly it feels like as long as I give them my numbers that's all that matters and I've done it and they appreciate me for it. When I ask them for extra time to follow up with a client to give great service and resolve their issues they dont care. Most of the time overtime cannot be approved. Basically if I don't talk much and have angry clients but my numbers are great thats all the truly matters. And well I really try to give a damn but sometimes its hard because you have to think about yourself. I sometimes tell the client I cannot do the work on time or can't call them back because I have too much work. You HAVE to control your work and not let it stress you out! Its not worth it!! I've dropped the ball plenty of times and I'm here thinking I'm going to get in trouble by management but they just pass the buck and a manager steps in to fix a super escalated issues and that's it. I try to give a damn but most people in client services just don't.

What can one person do? You have to look out for yourself. Basically all we are expected to do is deal with the client as soon as possible and get them off the phone. Simple as that. Nobody cares about giving you extra time to follow up with them. If they truly cared they would of provided time for us to do that but that isn't done.

ADP is a great place to work because its hard to find jobs these days with at least some job security(for the most part) and decent pay and benefits. At least where I live. In my department they say they care about the employee but they just need bodies on the floor and that's pretty much it.

From Clifton, NJ — 01/25/2008

The company provides excellent job security which is a good thing. The HR director basically said that the region would never fire someone, the company would simply pile on enough work so the individual would feel overwhelmed and quit. However, this location is the same as others, if you kiss ass you have a bright future. The company is super cheap, no Christmas party, the bonus is JOKE, and the raises sucks. The managers won't promote you off of your hard work, you have to be a favorite and if you push too hard, they make you pay for it by overwhelming you with work....to teach you a lesson. You literally work 7 days a week doing work that accountants and managers are doing for a good $30,000 less. In fact you can get at least $15,000 increase automatically by leaving and going somewhere else to work. That place sucks and i'm happy i left.