Working at Accenture — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Accenture pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Accenture

From IL — 12/30/2009

I worked for Accenture for a while and was laid off last year due to the horrible economic climate. I applied for this company without knowing what the company really did (I had never heard of them before I applied) and with a background in the humanities. As I went through the interview process - three phone interviews and then the on site interviews - I was impressed by the professionalism of all those I interacted with and by Accenture's reputation. People with a business / engineering background were amazed that someone with my background was actually going through the interview process. When I received the job offer and looked at my compensation package, I accepted it without any hesitation.

Someone wrote on another post that you're expected to sink or swim on your assignments - this is so true. And I just couldn't swim with the rest of my team. I was put on a tech assignment - after telling the analysts interviewing me that I was NOT tech savvy, had a difficult time learning new programs and that I really believed I was not a good fit for that role. I was told that business dictates everyone's roles and was forced on to this assignment. It was the worst year of my life. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't keep up with the work. I would routinely skip my lunch hour (would eat in less than 15 minutes) and work as much as I could, and I was still given more work to do. I started to develop health problems, and seriously thought about just quitting, without any other job lined up.

I was finally "rolled off" the project - someone finally figured out this wasn't working out. I should have said something earlier but did not want to seem as someone who couldn't hack it. My other roles (all very short) were just extremely boring. I tried to spend more time in the office, whenever I could, to "develop my network". As a newbie, I was very nervous about approaching others, but I spoke to some other consultants and they introduced me to many managers, senior managers and partners (via email or in person). Nobody was too busy to speak to me for a couple of minutes and everybody was more than willing to offer me advice or introduce me to someone else who they thought could help. I even had lunch with senior managers and had the opportunity to ask many questions.

HR, for the most part, was great. I had only one horrible experience with an HR rep who wouldn't return my emails or calls, but the others reps I spoke to were extremely helpful. As for the other consultants / analysts / SM's..., the majority of people that I met were incredible. All were intelligent and some were more helpful than others. I met some people that I would gladly never see again, but for the most part, people at that company were great.

I miss the people, but definitely not the work.

Pay - I know some people have complained we were underpaid for the work we did, and while I agree to with that to a certain extent, Accenture paid me much, much more than any other job for which I applied.

Respect - In my experience, people were respectful of each other.

Benefits - Benefits were great!

Job Security - Terrible. Being on the bench is horrible - especially when you're told that if you don't find something soon, you'll be laid off. Even when you're on a role, you have to constantly be on the lookout for the next great role. Roles, in my opinion, were dependent on your network, and as mine was small since I was still new, I knew I was screwed.

Work / Life Balance - It's a joke. There is no work / life balance.

Career Potential / Growth - I wouldn't know.

Location - Do not join this company, or any other consulting firm, if you do not want to travel.

Co-worker Competence - All were intelligent, and some were jerks.

Work Environment - Depending on the role, completely stressful.

From Chicago IL — 05/15/2009

On the positive side, Accenture has a great reputation in the consulting field. There are always new projects and the job security is pretty good. If you have technical skills, you probably won't have too much trouble getting staffed. On the other hand, people between projects (on the bench) are being let go if they continue to be unstaffed for 4 weeks or more from what I am seeing. As far as pay goes, you can get an idea of salaries on PayPeeper.com for different positions and locations. One negative also is that many of the project managers are not technical, and therefore sometimes are unaware of the degree of difficulty of the requests they make of the developers.

From San Francisco — 03/06/2009

Working for Accenture is both rewarding and exhausting. As a manager, I get to lead a team that brings direct value to a client (let's face it - so many clients teams suck they have to hire consultants to do the job...). As a management consultant, I work on interesting projects with smart teams. However... there is no time/patience for errors, learning, or confort. You are paied to deliver value from day 1. And accenture charges so much for you that you better deliver FAST. Life/work balance sucks, and there are very little moms on the workplace. If you have a "work hard/play hard" mentality, go there. And expect to work 12 hour days. If you just want to be home by 6pm... forget it. It is also a very stressful job. But it is interesting, you are never bored, and get 25 days of paied vacation.

From Chicago — 01/03/2009

I write this review with sadness in my heart. I will be resigning from Accenture in a week. To start with let me say I am in the consulting workflorce as a manager. Everything I have read here is true to some degree. I am positive toward Accenture and I enjoyed working here from a couple of perspectives. One thing that I must say is that the workforce you work for makes a big difference as does your luck in getting on the right project. You must pick the right workforce depending on the life you lead. (ATS is a complete waste of time, don't do it you will be very sorry). It is the India version of US outsourcing and people are treated the same way and the level of competance is shocking. Consulting in my opinion is the best place to be but be aware of the following 1) You will not see your family and you will have no life 2) You will work VERY hard 3) Home is where ever you latest project is.
Having said that, on the good side 1) You will not find a more interesting job 2) You will not find a job that teaches you more in a short period of time 3) There are some great people at accenture.

My personal issue is work life balance. However, I am not going to complain about it because I signed up for it. PEOPLE, WE ARE WORKING FOR A CONSULTING COMPANY. No one lied to you about that. You just saw what you wanted to see when you joined.

I really HATE the spam emails Accenture send to their employees on a daily basis. Unfortunately they are always coming from different addresses which means I can junk mail them without killing the one in a hundred important emails. Another thing I hate is the idea that you must belong to some community.......like I don't have enough work to do and when I get half a chance I will spend it with my family. Accenture needs to localize these activities based on project not home work location or workforce.

The only advice I can give anyone is be sure that your non work life style will jive with what you are getting yourself into. They are not going to hide this from you so be sure not to hide it from yourself.

I wish all my accenture peers the best in the future and I think in general (at least in terms of consulting companies you are in good hands). For new people looking to join ACN, this will be the best or worst thing you have ever done depending on what you are looking for.

The one thing I can say.......there is not one day that will be the same as the last.

From miami, FL — 09/16/2008

To really advance and grow, one had to travel extensively.

From Denmark — 08/20/2008

I have been working in Accenture Denmark for about an year andall I experienced until now is very POSITIVE. May be I am jut lucky :-)

From Minneapolis, MN — 07/25/2008

I transitioned to Accenture when the company that I worked for decided to outsource the entire department. First, Accenture took on all of the current employees, granted many left before the transition, but they did not have to do this. One year later they did lay off many of the support staff. I really did not have to work much overtime even though there were many that did. I was able to get a signifant raise and promotion within my first year as an Accenture employee. All in all my experience was a nice one. I left simply because I needed a change and new challenge.
I really feel in general that any company can be good to work for and that same company can be bad. It really comes down to what you work to get out of your job and the people you work with. I can see why some people have poor experiences but a lot also have very good experiences such as I did. There are some days that I wish that I would never have left. If you are considering working for Accenture ask the direct questions...what is expected of you, how many hours are expected, what is your management style and so forth. An interview really is an interview by the employer to you and you to the employer, ask questions that are important to you and your situation.

From Chicago, IL — 06/24/2008

One thing to remember about ACN is that everybody is on a different project, and that your experience with the company varies wildly based on project. I've been fortunate enough to get good projects, and they do exist--40 hours a week, interesting work, nice people to work with. You could also get on a badly managed project that works you to death with a bunch of boring crap to do; I know one guy that had to drive to the Chicago suburbs every day (4 hour round trip commute!) to do software testing for 10 - 12 hours a day, three months straight. But now he's on a great project in the heart of downtown Manhattan and loving it. Be ready for variety.

I get 25 days a year of paid vacation and that is fantastic. There is the risk of getting screwed out of a promotion or raise, but if you work hard and make friends, you'll do fine. This is a company that expects a lot, but tries to reward you for the effort you put in. You could do a lot worse.

From NY — 02/06/2008

alot of people complain about accenture, but honestly, i have come to the conclusion that most of the ppl who do are not very competent at what they do, and lack social skills to survive.
yes, it is the real world. you have to perform at a high level, and at the same time your manager must love you and back you up come review time. what do you expect though?
accenture has people with great personality, and has committed itself to having a very diverse workforce. work/life balance is really not that bad. yes, you travel to the client site on the weekdays, but you still get to work from home on fridays. also, career potential is extremely high in the consulting workforce. it is actually so high that if you do not perform, well...you get cut. so yes, its competitive, but if your young, smart, and thrive in this type of environment, you will like it alot

From Chicago, Illinois — 12/17/2007

I have been with Accenture over 10 years. I started as analyst and was promoted quickly to manager in Consulting. It was a great place to work. Then the outsourcing and downturn started, the environment quickly changed to you are lucky to have a job and will be promoted when it makes "business sense" I then switched into the Enterprise workforce. I can says that the work life balance is fantastic and I think my pay is very good considering my responsibilities and the ability to work from home. I don't like that promotion opportunities are negligible and job security is lacking. I also feel that I receive limited opportunities to grow and have quite a few coworkers who are not competent and no action is taken by senior mangagement. Overall, I am happy with my situation but it could be much more challenging and I feel Accenture would benefit greatly by giving Enterprise employees more opportunities to contribute to the company. I don't think my experience is typical of consulting employees where I would say work life balance is a huge issue.