Working at Academy Sports and Outdoors — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Academy Sports and Outdoors pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Academy Sports and Outdoors

From Baton Rouge, LA — 06/16/2010

I enjoyed working for Academy. I was in the hunting/fishing department, and it was pretty cool. Before Academy I worked at Lowe's and I have a lot more responsibility at Academy, especially selling firearms and boats. The pay wasn't so great, and you take a lot of crap from customers like any job. I only worked there for about a year, but I learned alot. After 6 months you can contribute to the 401k, and the job security was great. You had to either steal merchandise, assault someone, or not do any work to get canned. A few people got fired when I worked there, one was stealing shoes, one didn't do any work, and another was stealing time (not clocking out). It sure beats flipping burgers or working at a grocery store, both of which I did back in HS. Overall a good job.

From Deactur, Alabama — 03/16/2010

I have been working at Academy for 8 months now and I LOVE my job. Yes there are things I would love to change, but show me a job that you wouldn't. Most of the complaints that I have read on here are petty, yes the pay isn't fantastic(but its retail ppl). I will tell you this I worked on an assembly line for 4year and made more money than the store directors do, but I hated my job so when I got the opportunity to leave I jumped at the chance. I got a job at Academy, yes I hesistated when they told me what I would be making, but never the less I am glad I did. I enjoy going into my job, as well as quite a few of my co-workers also, often times you will catch us coming by work on our off days. I feel like I work very hard and I try to set a higher standard for my co-workers, I feel management gives credit when it is due. I hope that I enjoy a long happy career at Academy. I started out at a part-time associate and have worked my way up and am still working my way up in the company. I feel like our managers do give out great respect, they have confidence in their employees to do the right thing and get things done in a timely manor. I will admit that their are times that I am very stressed with my job, but I love it, it makes time go by fast and I love the feeling of getting things accomplished, and I have been given praise from management. I felt like I wasn't going anywhere with my old job, I worked to try to stand out and move up but it wasn't happening, I have been at Academy for 8 months now and about to receive my 3rd promotion. I will say that most of the negatives on here are due to bad management, and unfortunatly corporate dosn't always catch everything. I do work with some employees that shouldn't have a job there but in due time they won't. After reading some of the post on here I feel sorry for some of the employees or past employees they seem to have worked with a bad team of managers, my store on the other hand has an awsome team of managers and a great store director that belives in his employees. I was actually hoping to transfer or open a new store in the future but now I'm a little worried about what I may get myself into. Like I said our store has been open for a few months now and about 95% of the time we get amazingly great customers who come in and are so happy that Academy came to our town. I won't go on and on, but I will say this if you are considering working for Academy, give it a try you might enjoy it, but don't go in and be a lazy employee, go in and do your job learn as much as you can, try to set the bar high and challege yourself to be a strong leader and you will suceed and you will be seen and promoted! If you expect everything to be handed to you and move up fast with no effort, then your wasting you time and please don't apply. Most ppl that know me know that I am more happy working at Academy than I have ever been working at any other job, and I have actually told me that they are jelouse because they see how much I enjoy doing what I do....

From Fort Smith, Ar — 01/24/2010

I worked at this company for over a year with it being my main source of income while attending school. This company is completely ran by the corporate office. A bunch of big wig talking heads that have no real idea what its like to work for them.. The managers work you until you leave and don't give two shakes about trying to get you stay, good worker or not. The 'policies' they implement are not for all employees. There is Extreme favoritism, a total lack of respect for their so called 'team leads', and no communication between the managers themselves. In this company if you don't kiss ass you will never be acknowledged for the work you are actually doing, and the ones who do. Well lets just say the bear minimum is just fine.
This is a high volume location, but do the employees who keep this store running and the customers satisfied ever get any recognition for doing so, No. There are no employee incentives, no words of praise and absolutely no respect.. There will be times when the managers are verbally talking about good associates behind there backs, crude and vulgar comments being made public for employees and customers to hear and talking about what B that customer is and what an Effing A-hole that one is..
My advice to anyone thinking of working here, don't!

From Greenville, SC 219 — 01/22/2010

1 out of the 4 managers really cares about what is going on in the store and with their employees. The other 3 are just there to collect their big ass pay checks. Store Director just needs to do the job,stop playing the "race" card, grow some balls, and stop changing the policies to his liking.

From TX — 01/17/2010

I have read the comments and feel that I should chime in. Academy is a great company with a very good leadership team overall. The President is a competent and caring leader - those of you making reference to his prior company, I would remind you that Enron employed a lot of people - and believe it or not all of them were bad. There were a lot of good people who were burned with the company's failure. As for the CEO, I can say that he is an extremely kind and generous man who deeply cares for all his associates. But he has a business to run and a whole lot of people depend on his company. If you are not happy, go find something else. Sure, the company is changing, and management needs to hear from its associates. So, stop whining and start speaking up. Don't like your Store Director? Take the concern up the chain. Got a beef with the way you can't communicate directly to the buyers? Tell someone who can make a difference. Think the DM, RGM, VP is a prick? Tell someone. Mindless bitching to a website that is designed to attract complainers isn't going to help. I for one have written to Mr. Gochman in the past and he listened, and if I have another gripe, I'll do it again.

From West Monroe, Louisiana — 01/01/2010

I worked at Academy in West Monroe, Louisiana for 1.5 years in camping & hunting/fishing (from the time this store opened). I finally quit for a salaried/better paying job. I miss the people I worked with. Most of them came from WalMart. All of the managers at this store do care about each employee. When I worked at this store I always put the customer first. Even after a year of not working at Academy, customers still ask for me...If y'all are not happy with working at the Academy in your town, then maybe you should move to West Monroe!! If not, then you should go to college!!

From Greenville, SC — 12/26/2009

I love Academy Sports and Outdoor. The people at the Greenville store are awesome, especially the managers, now the store director is a different story. Whoever was the other Greenville person that commented on the store is dumb, and doesn't know what they are talking about.

From Louisiana — 12/17/2009

Notice we are seeing the same comments from competent managers from Texas to Oklahoma and now Louisiana is chiming in. Academy has been an excellent place to work for many years. We were valued and respected. Our opinions mattered and our ideas were included on new programs that were pushed to the stores. Now with the new leadership at corporate our opinions are no longer valued and we are forced to change directions at the whim of someone who has never worked in the stores. Programs such as the signage program are implemented without the tools needed to do it correctly, then changed multiple times which only confuses those that must actually work the program daily. During this entire process we are critisized for not getting it right. This was a company that was built on postive motivation and respecting all those who work here and now we are lead by fear and intimidation. The focus this holiday season has been all about signage instead of our valued customers. We are reprimanded at the store level for not giving out quarterly succession planning timely, yet most Store Directors and DM's have yet to received one since it's implementation. I agree with the others and could talk all day about survey monkey, confirmation database, dm points, weekly scores, and Twiggs shipping mistakes. We spend too much time chasing these issues instead of running our businesses. What happen to the days that customer service, merchandising and training were the priorities? It's a shame that so many of us who love this company now feel defeated at the end of the day.

From Texas — 12/02/2009

Hats off to “San Antonio. ” I agree that Academy has changed tremendously in the past couple of years and none for the better. It is curious that we have two extremely talented Executive VPs, even visionary, above such a throng of mediocre junior VPs. The current herd of external cultured VPs have no concept of what they have been placed in charge of. The corporate “support system” has become the all powerful center and the stores where the actual business takes place are merely chattel. It is ludicrous that store personnel are not allowed to call or email buyers, but must submit requests through a panel of clerks in store operations who will either pass through the request or cancel it at whim. However anyone from the most minor clerk to a third assistant buyer can force Store Directors to hustle and jump their symbolic blue A through red hoops in response to any meaningless email on a time table of “no later than close of business. “ That means 4:30pm even though we are conducting business frequently till midnight at the stores. In fact they are creating so many timed responses for us that they have employed my new favorite tool to punish the late responders, Surveymonkey!. Now managermonkeys, team lead monkeys and storedirector monkeys must respond choosing preselected responses on a timetable. It is little wonder we have such horribly unhappy hourly associates if our main priority is to have a timely response to each corporate hurdle randomly thrown in our path. It is so much easier for a mediocre or out of touch upper management crew to judge performance of individuals by measurable finite but meaningless tasks catalogued in place of actual performance evaluation. The nuances and skills of the staff of any store must be judged in some degree by personal interaction with these entities. That does not mean mere physical presence of an RGM for a couple of hours, wandering back and forth alternately grinning at himself and frowning at himself as he tirelessly thumbs away at his trusty PDA. Let’s have a little eye contact and hopefully some degree of conversation. What other company can boast of a Regional General Manager literally promoted from VP in charge of purchasing Paper Towels? Or a Micromanaging megalomaniac whose idea of quality family time is to bring his eleven year old along ,place a symbol unit in her hand and put her to work auditing inventory? OK, Flawed as they are at least the RGMs at Academy have at some time in the past 15 years worked in actual stores. Somewhere deep in their memory they should be able to dredge up some idea of what is or is not helpful to the store associates on the line. I’m talking about the check out line, not the battle line, This is no war, it is retail, You are merchants. Not field marshals, get that schoolboy romantic idea out of your head. Next time I see a memo about “Battle Ready” I’m going to throw a roll of nickels at you all. Be Advocates for the stores. That is what the stores expect of you. It is insane and degrading to have a division VP who delights more in the failures of his managers than in their successes. Show some backbone. Don’t just follow the misguided because it is easier.
We are presided over by a former executive from an organization that became a great hollow shell of no substance and collapsed upon itself. We are bringing in numberless executives from outside the company, many from companies that did not end well. Someone needs to remind them that they have joined Academy, We did not join their failed universe. Weekly we have new policies emailed over one at a time. They are not updated in policies or procedures manuals or on the spot. There does not seem to be any attempt to organize or catalog these new policies. I cannot imagine how a new manager or team lead could endeavor to learn them all. Daily we replace sound working procedures with poorly communicated and ill fitting versions of what new executives brought us from brand X. Try to figure out how much vacation time Joe hourly can actually take this year. Explain how the Operations VP can say “Don’t bother to set your ad if you don’t have the right signs.” Sit down with all the leaders that report to you and explain to them each quarter how they are inadequate, expecting them to be excited that you have pointed out new opportunities for them. We now have a bicycle bulk sales procedure that calls for down payment, a procedure we do not have, and has an order form that is a complicated version of the already existing 101 customer order form. Thanks guys for needlessly complicating our lives. It seems that most procedure changes recently have been aimed at making easier the job of some one person or group at the corporate office and adding needless complication to the jobs of 1000 store associates. By the way, lunchroom furniture is a capital expense, not a Christmas Present. Why don’t you give them something personal, like the jacket s that you require them to wear. OOPS, that’s right, we don’t have any jackets because we forgot to order any before we made them part of the required uniform.
We have survived in the past when Arthur turned the operation of the company over to scoundrels, mountebanks, and charlatains. Their selfishness and greed caught up with them. The current leadership is pretty tame in comparison, They are merely misguided or poorly informed of store operations . The same people who made this a great company will continue to do so if you don’t run them off. How fortunate for Academy that the Job Market is so tight currently. Is there a Gochman in the house? We need one badly.

From El Paso — 11/18/2009

I have been working with the company since August. I really enjoy it. Unfortunately all these negative reviews are written by "associates" that just can not admit they struggled or are struggling keeping up with the easy work. I work in the Hunting and Fishing department. We are not as busy as some of the other departments such as Apparel or Footwear, but we do see our fair share of customers especially on weekends. Yeah the hours are sometimes long but so what?! Its a retail job people what do you expect. Almost all of my coworkers are pretty awesome and fun to work with. I love the 25% off discount and my manager is pretty lenient when it comes to requesting time off. If anyone is that is thinking about applying is reading my review just apply. Try it out see for yourself how it is.