Working at Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy

From Lakeland, FL — 07/31/2007

This place isn't too bad, for a restaurant job. Pay is the usual crappy server's hourly wage of three dollars and change, and it doesn't get much better unless you work every single day, or a few night shifts. I've been with the place since the store opened, and I used to make upwards of $300 a week. Now I'm lucky if I make more than $100 because of the shifts they've put me on.

Respect is a 50/50 deal. Depending on the manager you get, you're either going to have a manager that respects you and regards you as a friend, or you're treated like you're lower and dumber than the management. The former happens more often, though.

Can't say anything about benefits. I'm a part-timer.

Job security is great for the most part. It takes alot for them to choose to fire you. The job itself sucks most of the time, though. This would be why every restaurant job has extremely high turnover regardless.

The restaurant balances your life and work very well. Most of the time, if you ask for time off or need to switch a shift, it's done and you're taken care of.

Not much room for any growth beyond a corporate trainer unless you act as a total and complete kiss-up. I've had people interested in a general manager job clean the management's cars and retrieve their coffees. What's the point of moving up if you have no dignity?

Our location is great. It's right next to a bustling shopping center, and it's in a warm, friendly area. I can count the rude customers I've had on one hand. The area seems to bring out the friendliness in people.

Like I said before, I've been with the store since before it opened its doors, and everyone is rigorously trained, considering it's a serving job. We're given a number of written tests on the menu, we're tested on the steps of service...basically, they make sure we know our stuff before they put us on the floor. Everyone on the staff is well-taught on the products we sell and on what is expected of us. Everyone is also outstanding at utilizing teamwork; most of the time, you will have your butt saved by co-workers who you only have to ask for help. It helps you make some great friends that way. A couple of these people are even going to be bridesmaids in my wedding.

The great people (management included) are the only thing that hold up the work environment, really. Otherwise, the layout of the restaurant--specifically the courtyard--is awkward at times, and attitudes and moods almost always wind up bad by the end of the night.

Overall, as restaurants go, it's a great place to work and it's great for your self-esteem. Just be sure you either work great shifts or have another job; otherwise, you're going to be financially tight ALOT.