Work at Abercrombie & Fitch — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Abercrombie & Fitch pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Abercrombie & Fitch

From Brandon, FL — 04/12/2009

Pay: Pay was pretty good. After they cut us working from 50 to 40 hours...it was about 28K a year. They only pay you 1/2 of your hourly "salary" for any over time. Apparently somehow that was legal.

Respect: Hardly any from upper management. SOme from part time associates, unless they were apart of this stupid thing they had called 5 and 5. this was 5 of the best looking guys and 5 of the best looking girls in your store. These people would think they were irreplaceable and do whatever they want. Oh and these people had to be approved. Ha, yes that is part of someone's job...to judge whether or not these people were good looking enough to represent your store.

Benefits: Nothing to complain about if you were fulltime..no pt benefits

Job security: good for the most part

Work/life balance: You are so tired from working and feel like doing nothing. Working in the dark just wears a person out. I left there with a health problem that still persists because of stress.

Career Potential/Growth: They want you to think there is career growth..but really you have to replace yourself. That is the only way to get promoted. You do have to be flexible in relocation

Location: nothing to complain about

Co-worker competence: The person in charge of hiring our managers wouldn't hire people because they didn't look a certain way and left our store in turmoil without any managers. He definitely discriminated. This company is such a joke and caught up in nothing but judging on how people look.

Work environment: Horrible! Loud music and the smell of cologne all shift long. Dark environment. Everything had to be perfect. Its very repetitive. This company is very shallow and really does discriminate against people. I am surprised they aren't sued everyday.

From daytona beach, florida — 02/26/2009

pay : is not good at all, i started at 7.21 an hour, which is a little below average for my area; my first paycheck was only $59.00 for TWO weeks.

Respect : the respect i got from the managers was very slim compared to the respect you get from your friends, it is pretty cool, a lot of my friends looked up to me because working at A & F sounds like a more glamorous title than it truly is.

benefits: I don't have any other than my 30 % discount on unmarked down items and i get 50 % off 3 items twice a month or so, they call these you're "triple A's" you also get first picks on clearance items. :) ( these are basically the whole reasons i keep this job)

Job security: the job is kind of intimidating if you don't have a lot of self confidence, only because you're forced to work with other naturally pretty people. the managers are very particular about the way you present yourself, and if you don't correspond with their look policy it can end badly.

work/life balance: it's easy to have a life if you only work part time, you pick your own hours.

career growth: there are many chances to move up at a & f, the pay is not really worth it though.

location: I love working in the mall, it's close to everything.

co-worker competence : same as job security.

work environment:i like the smell and lighting of the store the loud music is good, they just keep replaying the same songs over and over, and that can get a bit overbearing.

From Utah — 01/26/2009

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that I have worked for this company for over a year and I love my job.

Pay: The pay for part-timers is rediculously low. I feel bad for them seeing as they do work and maybe work 10-20 hours a week. I'm a full time employee and i make more than part timers, but it's still low for how much work i do on a daily basis.

Respect: I feel very respected by my co-workers and I have respect for them, I love my managers for the most part.

Benefits: Are great if you are full time. If you're part time..no benefits at all. Employees do get a good discount on clothing though.

Job Security: I feel very secure with my position in the company. I feel I do a great job and my store would be helpless without me.

Work/Life Balance: For part-time the work/life balance is great. This company is VERY flexible with their hours and works around other schedules such as school/other jobs. It's very easy to get time off for part-timers. For full-time well, work/life balance sucks. As for me, I work 1:30pm-10pm Monday through Friday with weekends off which is nice, but my weekly hours are non-negotiable. As far as I can see management hours are horrible as well, very random and never consistent.

Career Potential/Growth: the ONLY possible way to move up in this company is with a college degree.

Location: 5 minute drive from my house.

Co-worker Competence: I've had great employees. there are a few that I could do without, but we have to think here..it's a bunch of high school kids that are 17 years old. The only thing that gets old is people not calling or showing up for their scheduled shifts. A lot of high school kids don't take their job seriously.

Work Environment: I work in the back so I love it. I don't have to deal with the loud music, or darkness of the store. Or customers complaining about the loud music, or darkness of the store.

All in all, I do love my job and this company.

From San Francisco, California — 12/23/2008

Position... part-time model

Pay... is average for the area

Respect... must (and in any case should always) be earned and deserved

Benefits... none but they are excellent for full time employees

Job security... good if i stay handsome (eaaaaasy) and keep working out and getting hotter

Work/life balance... amazingly excellent, so chill and easy to get time off, i can change the schedule on my own i just find someone to take my shifts and change my availability or tell management i need to take off. but it's never even necessary cause people will just snatch up my shifts like hot cakes, and i get offered them all the time too. i can work once a week one week or every day the next week, flexible is a 30 letter word at abercrombie.

career potential/growth: from what i can tell, if you're flawless in your image and behavior and step up, you get promoted. its that easy. catching a thief and cheering up an overworked manager get things moving too, so does sleeping with one, but who wouldn't want to, we're all so hot!

location: great. big store lots of employees in high volume area, never a dull moment

co-worker competence: some are ugly and fat (well like two) but i can't stand them, thats management's fault which pisses me off, i like working here for just that reason no fat no ugly no girly men or manwomen but overall most are very well trained and always help me out, some are total morons but looking pretty takes precedence in favor of studying sometimes and when youre that hot so be it, everyone will always just do things for you anyways so why bother to learn anything besides rolling a blunt or scoring some ass?

work environment: perfect. smells good. looks good. dark and sexy. hot and cozy inside. loud music makes ignoring losers easy. feels like im at a club with my buddies when im at work. people are always telling me i'm hot and good looking, coworkers, management and customers. when i do fitting rooms hot girls flash me and dudes show off too. oh yeah and losers get fired, quickly. so there. and yeah we are all friends. what could be better, discounted cool clothes? oh yeah CHECK!

all we need is higher pay and higher standards!

From New Albany, OH — 10/07/2008

PAY: The pay is decent entry level (started at $47k out of college). However, you only get reviewed once a year and the pay increase that I received for doing well was not even enough to compensate for cost-of-living increases! Of course, more senior associates get better reviews and in turn get even better merit increases. If you stay at the company and someone important decides they like you, you will be compensated VERY WELL. Average salary is over $70k, avg age is around 26.

RESPECT: For the most part, I feel that I am more respected at A&F than I would be at other companies. For being just out of college, I have significant responsibilities and am an expert on my areas. You occasionally have people who will try to throw you under the bus to further their own careers, but for the most part I feel that my ideas are respected, implemented, and my judgment is valued.

BENEFITS: Intangibles such as gym membership, beautiful campus, bring your dog to work day (for charity), HR initiatives such as free Cold Stone ice cream, etc make it a unique work environment. I love being able to go down to take Pilates during my lunch break.

JOB SECURITY: The higher you get in the company, the more you have to worry. Make the big MJ mad and you might be asked to 'leave the company'. Otherwise, they generally do not fire people unless there is malicious intent. Given the high turnover rate, they try to keep people who are performing well.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: I don't work on the product side so I generally work 8:30-6:30 on a daily basis. However, those on the product side, especially merchants can be expected to work ibanker's hours without that kind of pay. I have known friends who "hope to get out early enough" for a 9pm dinner on a Friday night. Others worked until 2am and come in at 7am for a week at a time b/c of staffing issues within teams and constant increases in the number of the styles for which they are responsible.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: Office politics is definitely present. There are a lot of 'divas' even though MJ says it is a 'diva-free zone'. People do NOT take responsibility EVER when they mess up, and try to play the blame-share game all day long and spread it around as much as possible. This can hinder your growth as all promotions must go through the leadership committee. Make one of them angry enough times and you are such to be stuck in your current title. Other than that, if someone important likes you and you are attractive enough, you'll go really far at A&F. Performance is not as much of a factor as others. HR is struggling to come up with a good promotion strategy (time vs. merit).

LOCATION: Not everyone can live in Columbus, OH. But it is a medium-sized city, very youthful with Ohio State right there, yet it is not dominated by the college. New Albany's campus is BEAUTIFUL...especially in the fall! You can scoot around campus, enjoy a pickup game of basketball or sand volleyball on campus, not to mention you can scoot around to all of them. Wood-burning fires burn in the colder months and generally it is a really cool place to work. New Albany is a small town outside of Cbus (reverse commute of ~25 min), really uppity but very beautiful, especially if you are older and have a family.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: My direct coworkers are EXTREMELY intelligent--we work well together in a team environment and learn off of each other while maintaining our own autonomy. Other associates within the company though, I sometimes wonder how they get through life. These people are mostly on the creative side of the business and are (usually) good at what they do, but that's about it. You listen to conversations at the cafe and you might mistakenly think you were in a middle school lunch hour "OhmiGOD did you watch Gossip Girl last night?"

WORK ENVIRONMENT: If you have body-confidence issues, this is NOT the place for you. If you would get intimidated walking into a frat party, this is not the environment for you! When you come into HO in the spring/summer, girls are wearing our skirts, tanks, and flip flops...it's like the sorority house all over again. There is a strong gay presence, at least more than your typical employer. A LOT of emphasis is placed on your looks and 'being current.' The night before a quarterly (promotions!!) or a big meeting, and ALWAYS before going in with Mike, you find a lot of associates going into the store to pick up something from the current season. Overall, there is a place for everyone at A&F professionally....but it is NOT the place for everyone in terms of corporate culture. It is like college all over again...another poster on here mentioned the very strong mantra of "work hard, party harder" and that definitely holds true. I am sad to admit that I missed work a few Fridays ago b/c I was too hungover/still drunk from the night before, after a 4-day going-out stint. The nice thing is that they bring in associates straight from college in training classes, so you are with 25 others your age and in the same situation. You make friends quickly, but it is difficult to keep work/personal issues separate. A&Fcest is rampant and almost seems encouraged!

From FL — 04/09/2008

I've been working as an "impact team member" at AnF since January, and I actually can't believe all the terrible things everyone is saying about this place! Yes, the company is very "look" oriented, but it works- you can't deny that. I absolutely LOVE working here- by far the coolest job I've ever had. I typically work 35-45 hours a week and while the pay could be better, the virtually stress-free work environment makes up for it right now. I've recently started training as a store "stylist", which basically means I will be responsible for making sure the forms look their best and the lighting and fixtures are positioned properly. This is a full time position with benefits and I'm so psyched about it! I plan to style while I get my degree and then move up to a Visual Manager, and eventually get into that home office. I'd like to be in a position where I can help change and shape the company in a positive way. I'd like to see some sort of tuition or scholarship funds to help the kids that do work in the store get through school. I also want to find out the conditions of the places that actually produce our clothing, and encourage a great work environment down to even that level. There is a lot of potential with this brand, I'd really like to see it progress to a more eco-friendly corporation. All in all, I am seriously happy about my job and my future with it.