Working at Abercrombie & Fitch — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Abercrombie & Fitch pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Abercrombie & Fitch

From Maple Grove, Minnesota — 10/08/2010

I've been working as a Model at A&F for almost 2 years now. It's definitely not a bad place to work if your looking for a flexible schedule and a chill atmosphere. You fold clothes to perfection, ring customers up, get annoyed by the same repetitive music, greet customers with obnoxious taglines, and intoxicate customers with their hot ass cologne.

Pros:
You can basically pick your schedule so if you're in school it's a really great job to have. The location I work at gives you the hours you request and theres always people who ask to cover their shift so there's really no shortage of hours. The atmosphere is energetic and chill at the same time. Coworkers (for the most part) are very friendly and fun. You get to work with beautiful people all day and dance in the front of the store if you like. Management is also very friendly and easy to talk to. They assign you where to go, but kind of let you do your own thing without being overly pushy or annoying. It's a VERY easy job. Your tasks are folding clothes, greeting customers and presenting good customer service. That's all the managers really expect of you. Although most people will tell you working in Womens 1 is no treat. It's not always the funnest thing to tell older or obese people "hey did you know our jeans could make you a star?" Although you're only making min wage, you get a sweet discount of 30% off their clothes. If you love shopping there, the discount is almost worth it. You also, as of recently, get a discount at other stores run by the same company like Hollister Co, Gilly Hicks, Abercrombie, etc.

Cons:
You only get paid minimum wage which is 7.25 right now. I have not seen anyone get a raise in this company although I've heard it's not impossible. Not to toot my own horn, but my work and customer service is far beyond superior compared to everyone else's and I haven't gotten any recognition other than a few positive comments from time to time. Other than the measely pay, the managers don't have very much backbone. There are coworkers that just talk shit about other people and the managers turn their back to it, even when it becomes verbally abusive to one's face. Shoplifiting is becoming more a problem now then it used to be because managers never do diddly squat except stalk the thieves around the store. People are constantly joining and quitting and managers get promoted every few months. Some managers are more friendly than others, although I've personally never had any problems with any of the managers, they are all very friendly, however it gets annoying when managers bring you things to fold in Womens 1 and forget about you. No one likes staying up there theyre entire shift.

Overall it is a pretty fun place to work if you can withstand the smell, the blasting repetitive music, and monotony of fold the same stuff that just keeps getting destroyed.

From Maine — 09/03/2010

I've worked at Abercrombie and Fitch for a couple months now. To be honest, for all my complaints, I am still happy to have had a job there. Let me break it down by categories to give a little better idea on how it all goes down.

Pay: It's shit. But, to be honest, its a job and it is not McDonalds. From discussion between employees who have been there for 3 plus years, pay raises uncommon. At $7.50, its gas money with a little fun on the side. But when you have two jobs, it covers travel expenses.

Respect: Interesting one here. Respect amongst employees I found to be plentiful (in fact, many of the people I worked with were very smart and sweet). If you pulled your weight, then you were respected. Managers were pretty chill, thought they let their frustrations show and sometimes that made situations a little awkward. The age difference between Models, Impacts, and Managers is practically non-existent, so sometimes its a little hard to think of them as your boss-man.

Benefits: Lets be honest, the only one you get is cheaper clothes. Have to be careful though, you can easily sink a two week pay check in clothes.

Extra Benefits: Chicks dig the fact you work at A&F... by far superior to the cheaper clothes you get.

Job Security: Meh, do your job and nothing bad will happen. Written up three times and you are fired. Just short of house burning or family dying, there is no compassion. There are plenty of beautiful people in the world, so they will have no hard time finding someone to replace with you.

Work/Life Balance: Time availability is glorious. Working multiple jobs is easy because you can practically tell em that you can work twice a week and they are totally down with that. Hence the issue managers have with people missing their shift... they model/impact picked 'em essentially. That being said, closing shifts are terrible and you can instantaneously detect where A&F has cut corners. There are normally 2 or 3 models, 2 impacts, and a manger on duty. Impacts are busy working their asses off in the back, and manager is doing closing math. Models are stuck cleaning up an entire store. We never made the 11 o'clock punch out time. Luckily, mangers dislike being around that late as much as the models.

Career Potential/Growth: Its a part time job... you aren't going anywhere unless you are a manger.

Location: In the mall. Some love it, some hate it. I didn't care. It was relatively close to home (15 minutes) so no real biggie.

Co-Worker Competence: I used to hate it when my fellow co-workers cut corners. Though it rarely happened, it used to drive me up a wall. I would say it only happened 15% of the time, and it was always from the same people, but through process of 3 write ups, they were normally gone within a month or two. Rest of the folks were great, and I love hanging out with them. They taught me everything I needed to know when I was the new guy, and always helped out.

Work Environment: "... it comes naturally, when you're with me..." Face the music, literally, It will get stuck in your head, you will sing along with it randomly, and you will be made fun for singing along. On the brightside, everyone you work with will sing as well. Music is so-so, but hearing the same 20 something odd songs will play on the nerves. If music is really that important, work at Hollister... but if you are picking a job by the music they play, you are either a teen girl in middle school, or not deserving of a job. The smell is something to get use to, but you will. On the flip side, I have had girls bury their heads in my chest and comment "sooooo gooood". You will work with poor customers who will ruin your hard work, but you also serve some very interesting, beautiful, or fun people as well... and you will get phone numbers (live it up).

Conclusion: Great part time job. Terrible if you are trying to survive on the money as model or impact... so don't. It was worth the social boost it got me in and out of work. Great at giving you a sense of fashion, especially considering I bought most of my clothes from the cheapest places possible. A&F is also a great start on a resume if you did well and your mangers are willing to brag about you. Oh, and did I mention a social/ego boost?

Ten Tips to Do Well:
1.) Respect your managers, they are more willing to give you leeway and hours if you make them think they are the big boss-man.
2.) Respect the Impact guys and gals. Their job is hard enough and they get paid the same as us models... dont stack more hassles on them
3.) Say the damn tag lines. Yes it is hard telling a grandmother that your jeans can make em a star, but you get secret shopped, and it sucks getting a low grade.
4.) Be friendly and a little flirtatious. It gets people to enjoying coming to A&F, makes them feel obligated to buy your clothes, and sometimes you get a cute girls phone number (thats the main reason).
5.) Dont get beat up when you watch the stack you have just folded get dominated... just smile and move on.
6.) Work is work... work hard.
7.) Bring an MP3 player for the closing shift. It makes the long period that you know is going to go on after 11 that much easier.
8.) Try to get register... by far the best position for a model.
9.) Get to know your co-workers and their names. Its tough in a store of 80+ people, but it will make your day go by that much faster when you get that small social time.
10.) Be optimistic. Gets girls (or guys), you become well liked, and it will make your time at A&F enjoyable.

From El Paso, TX — 08/27/2010

I have been working for the company for about 4 years and it has been an on and off experience ! When i first started it was great and lots of fun.. . . The manager were really cool and didn't really care much for what was going on. Many of them dated current employees and even hung out with them.
As the year passed it has changed dramatically, you now have to wear certain colors and every weekend you must wear at least one of the triple a's the store has chosen.
Not is the clothing pricy but you don't get paid as much nor do you get scheduled as you would like. If managers really do like you and you work well, you will get a decent amount of hours. Another thing is they tend to schedule 4 hour shifts that way you cannot ask for a break. In general they really don't respect the employees and it is not as much fun as you think.
They constantly nit pick you and see how great looking you are, if you fit in they will always ask to take pictures of you. The only reason i stay is because i am a college student and this job is really flexible ! Once i do graduate i am out the door !

From Douglasville, Ga — 07/04/2010

My experience with this job is great, the pay could be better but it's the same as any other retail job in the mall. My co-workers and managers are helpful, respectful and friendly. It's a great job for college students. Everyone on here is complaining about not getting enough hours but if you ask for them and show initiative then you will get more hours. Personally I think impact is better than model because there is always something to do and models just stand around, greet customers and fold clothes. For the most part I love my job :-)

From Columbia, South Carolina — 06/02/2010

I worked as a sales associate througout HS and college, and was promoted to Store Manager after I graduated college. You will work long hours, have very little time off (none on holidays), and will not get much respect with A&F on a resume. (I know this because my other employers have told me so.) As a sales associate, you pretty much fold clothes and BS for $5-$7 and hour. You will work with some cool people and not-so cool people.

From a managment standpoint, its basically a dog & pony show once a week when your District Manager decides to show up. The DM will walk around with a sheet pointing out the flaws in your strore, as well as your no-so good looking sales Reps. (One former DM referred to some of our brand reps as "Scary Larrys" and once asked "Who hired Harry F*cking Potter?) The DM's who were former managers seemed to be brainwashed by home office and forget what its like to acutally manage, not just look for dust or missing size stickers. We actually even switched the black & white photos in the store with black & white photos of our store employees and managers and the DM failed to notice for over 3 months. Conference calls are long and boring...usually the same answers each day. Other SMs and ASMs would actually place bets on what motivational tactic would be offered to drive sales.

I worked both before and after the implementation of "The Program", which micro-manages your day into 5 min increments. Prior to "the Program", you actually had to make a schedule based on hours given, delegate tasks to managers, etc. Basically, it separated the good managers from the poor managers. Then came the Program, which was a clipboard of garbage to mold each manager from the same cookie-cutter. Any good manager knows to make sure the store has adequate coverage, but according to the program the floor supervisor is supposed to do counter-clockwise figure 8's every 10 mins.

The Pay is average for a store manager, but my assistants were paid about $4000-6000 less, and thanks to the overtime, received only half of their hourly pay for any hour over $40. Pay for sales reps has gotten better, but is still poor. 25-cent raises are offered to about half of the sales staff. Performance reviews for management is a complete joke. We had a realignment within our district and didnt have a DM for 5 months, and a person I had never met did my review.

The Benefits are good, but are rarely used because most of the employees are single and under 30.

Job security is so-so. If you're hoping that this job will be a springboard for bigger and better things, good luck! Unless you work in a bigger city, you won't move up. If you work in a small city or college town, you're there till you quit...

Overall, this company will offer the fun and exciting lifestyle, and thats exactly what it will take from you. The most you will take away is friendships with the people you work with because they will basically become your family.

From Manhattan, New York — 09/10/2009

The pay we get in Manhattan is $9 a hour and the managers make a salary. This company basically hires A LOT of people. My co-workers are actually great and the managers are cool too. Sometimes depending on their moods, you can end up feeling like shit or annoyed out of your mind. Being impact is actually nice, stay in the stockroom prepping and running so the spritz outside don't bother me. Also, it is of course funner to work with co-workers who you get along with, makes the time go faster.

From Florida — 08/30/2009

I'll go through the specific areas first. Pay is about on level with any retail job if not better than the other stores in most malls. As a manager, they expect you to work lots of hours at relatively low pay however the job is completely outlined for you and as long as you follow your manager checksheets your good.

Respect: at Hollister, working with teenagers is both a blessing and a curse. Some truly care about the job but I found that the most time consuming employees to manager were the 20-somethings that had nothing but part time jobs and an ego to boot. As long as you give respect, you'll get it period.

Benefits: as far as benefits, the package is great. Dental and health were offered and vision was added around the time I left. The 401k package has good contributions from ANF and I opted for the stock options.

Job Security: the way we were taught, the only way to move up was to recruit your replacement so getting MIT's was always a priority but I never thought my job was in danger. You have to really work at getting fired, IE sleeping with part-timers, LP issues, or drugs etc etc etc.

Work/Life Balance: Expect to work 40-45 hours a week, most ANF managers hang out when off the clock. When holidays come, the chains come out and the hours go through the roof. Don't expect to see any family if they live a considerable distance away from your store.

Career Potential/Growth: The biggest leap is from store manager to district. I've known people at the assistant level for years as well as the store manager levels. I was told if I didn't make store manager in 2 years, I shouldn't look to move anywhere up the line. As far as manager turnover is concerned, you'll make SM in about a year. But look on the 3-5 year time horizon for becoming a district manager.

Location: Tons of stores in tons of locations, all willing to hire you. Pick where you want to live and more likely than not their will be some ANF presence.

Co-worker Competence: I stereotype when I say this, but most store level managers with ANF probably didn't have much to go with once they finished college. The economy was horrible when I joined and they were the only business hiring so it was a surefire way to get into a position. That said, a lot of part-timers are self absorbed and look at you funny when you expect them to work (fold clothes, interact with customers, etc) and a lot of managers seem to have a real dull mental edge.

Work Environment: The dark, loud, and smell of the Hollister cave didn't bother me. I enjoyed the music so I gave it a 5.

As for hiring, I know that looks played an important role. But seeing the many people that complained about ANF on this board, I'm surprised that I didn't hear about more law suits. Store managers are expected to actively recruit because we are told to get the best looking people to work for the stores. District managers grade the stores on how handsome and beautiful the models are, but if you have a DM that gives a damn about you and you work hard to make them look good, they will give you good reviews.

All-in-all, the job is laid out in front of you, the pay is decent, the benefits great. Part-timers are not treated the best, but it is a part-time job, your not their to make money. If your looking for ANF stores to hire you as an associate (model/impact) and to get a ton of hours, prepare to be horribly disappointed.

From up-state NY — 08/17/2009

The job really depends on your supervisor. Its a typical mall job except that they are all about looks. Kids are dumb as rocks and as shallow as can be. One guy I worked with literally just bounced a bouncy ball all day and said hi to people at the door. One manager was sleeping around with several employees and was soon fired after word got out.

Its an ok summer job for 18, 19 year old kids so that they can feel cool and get 20 or 30% clothes that cost over $100 bucks. Just dont let the job go to your head too much (thinking your sooo ridiculously good looking) like a lot of the kids that work there do.

From WA — 07/28/2009

I have worked at A&F for almost 2 years as a part-time model (the title for sales associates who work out front rather than the stock room) employee. I only work once or twice a week by choice so take that into consideration when reading this review.

Pay: Minimum wage. I don't work at A&F to substantially supplement my income and I have another "serious" job that pays better.

Respect: As long as you treat the people around you with respect you will receive it. I have had some less friendly managers, but they were still civil. I have never had a problem with any of my co-workers and I've found that as long as you do your job instead of goof off and make at least some effort to be friendly you will be well received.

Benefits: As a part-time worker I don't receive benefits however I do get the general discount of 30% off anything full price in the store as well as 50% off select items (typically two tops and one bottom)when the floorset changes. Unfortunately, the colors and styles for the 50% off items are chosen by the home office and typically reflect choices in a range of three colors: gray, white and navy blue.

Job Security: I agreed to apply because I was assured I could work one day out of the week without fear of losing the job at anytime because of my low amount of hours and that has remained true throughout the nearly 2 years I have been with the company. I always have a shift on the day I said I was available and I've never had worries that I would be fired.

Work/Life Balance: I usually only work one day out of the week so it does not really affect my life, but some of my co-workers complain that they have too many shifts. If it gets to be too much it's really easy to change your availability or even easier to quit.

Career Potential/Growth: You can advance to a manager position if you have a college degree, but I would not recommend it as managers seem both overworked and underpaid. In addition, there seems to be a more stringent "look" requirement as one of my coworkers was rejected from the MIT position she applied for and one of my managers confided that it was most likely because the interviewers did not think she was attractive enough.

Location: Big mall, clean, safe, no complaints.

Co-Worker Competence: They are all capable of being competent it is just a matter of whether they choose to exercise that capability. My favorite coworkers are the ones that are friendly and work hard as opposed to the ones that frequently just stand around talking.

Work Environment: Customers complain about the strong cologne scent, dark lighting, and loud music, but it does not bother me. After having worked at A&F for this long I do not even take notice those things when I walk in for my shift.

From Boston, MA — 04/30/2009

Pay: Minimum wage for just being a sales associate. I mean I would like better than 8 bucks and hour but really, the job is so easy.

Respect: If you give a sense of respect toward your managers you will receive it back. Plain and simple, its part of their job to give us lame stuff to do, don't complain like a brat, instead make them laugh, listen to them vent and you will find yourself on their good side. So then, you can get away with making fun of them like calling them retarded, without having them hate you.

Benefits:30% discount at your home store/ triple A's after every floor set, which is fine I rarely spend money of my paycheck at ANF.

Job Security:I feel secure. The fact that I can leave for summer and than know i have a place when i get back to school. They always seem to need people.

Work/Life Balance: Can't complain, scheduling hours is based on our availability.

Career Potential/Growth: Well to move up, you need to be either a senior in college going to graduate or have a degree. The MIT program looks pretty legit, I've seen two go through it. I don't really know what occurs from there.

Location: Great location, has all five brands nice mall. 12-15 minutes from my school.

Co-worker Competence: Co-workers are fun, I've met some legit people who are actually not dumb.. though there are those that dont care to interact. My managers are nice and fun to listen to complain about things, but i think its because I'm liked by them, I can see them being very bitchy to other workers but those are workers that tend to not show up for work when scheduled too. Yes there is gossip but only among managers, no need to gossip when you work part time. I hear all the gossip because they just like to vent your ears off when your in the front room, i dont mind tho its entertaining.

Work Environment: I don't find the store dark at all compared to like hollister co, gilly hicks or ruehl. Those are dark places. The music is loud but once your ears adjust its not bad. But customers always comment. The smell of fierce reeks after work, I feel dirty when I smell of it. Once I smell fresh fierce coming from above my head in those rectangular machines I steer clear from it till it stops. Nothing like getting showered with fierce. other than that, i dont mind people watching when im in the front room, the hall of the mall has glass ceiling so i get some sunlight shining through ha.

Overall, I don't mind the job.