Working at 84 Lumber — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about 84 Lumber pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at 84 Lumber

From Charlotte NC — 09/25/2010

I have worked at 84 Lumber for over 20 yrs now. I was hired as a manager trainee, promoted to co manager after 16 monthsand then to manager 18 months later. This company has offered me every opportunity to grow and succeed as promised. One thing is for sure, you will always work hard for 84 Lumber. As a company most of our employees take pride in that. The men and women that work hard and produce results are very well taken care of. I run a yard in Charlotte NC that has 3 employees with 20+ yrs experience, another 2 with 15 yrs experience and another 8 people with approximately 5 yrs experience. The company is based on providing it's people an opportuntiy to run a business where the success depends on ther actions. The company has always stated that the manager is an extremely important part of their operation. The early transfers that are offered are for the opportunity of promotion. These positions are training positions that are assumed while working your way up to be a manager. If these options were not offered then there would be limited availability for promotion.
I often see on this board comments made about "84 culture" and the lack of modernized equipment and facilities. 84 Lumber has never been bashful about being the low cost material option for builders. We work out warehouse facilities, keep expenses low and work harder for our customer than anyone else. This is our job. This is what the company pays us to do. It would be easy if we had: the lowest prices, the nicest facilities, over paid everyone and could control the economy and weather. This is not likely to happen. The truth is with 84 Lumber you either get it or you don't. Personally I get it. It is the right place for me. I make a good living, work with great people and have a relationship with the people I work for that would make most people envious. For some people it is not the right option. If that is you then I wish you the best in finding your place. Me, I drink the Kool Aid, I bleed tang red, I am 84 Lumber. I would encourage any young, aggressive people with a strong work ethic and a desire to succeed to look in to the company. If you are looking for a job that is easy and anyone can do it then it is probably not the right place for you.

From pittsburgh, pa — 09/02/2010

I like it. It is competitive, but they try to keep stores afloat. The pay is good, but you have to compete. Whiners fail here.