Working at 7-Eleven — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about 7-Eleven pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at 7-Eleven

From Texas — 06/01/2010

Pay isn't great as I have seen in other convenience stores. But they do treat you better, that's for sure. But it's not perfect. Depends on management and the day they have. Benefits aren't great unles you are management really. Part time doesn't get the option.

Job parts are pretty good as far as secutiry and balance. Sometimes I don't like when they call you short notice, but for the most part, I don't have to tthink about work after I leave it. Growth in the career is hard i think. The management don't sit you down and tell you exactly what you need to do to get promoted. The work environemt isn't bad.

No real gripes about the job. But if they paid a little more and helped you in your career, you would be all set! But this is by far a better job than most.

From Florida — 01/18/2010

I was a Field Consultant for corporate stores. 7-Eleven's a wonderfully ethical company...but it was an unbelievably difficult job! I was in my stores NLT 6:30am every morning. Then I never sat down to think until 5:30pm, when I would begin my daily paperwork & planning and stay usually until 8pm. That was 6 days a week. Then frequently the 7th day required participation in a 7-Eleven community event such as a ".walk for charity", I was on-call 24/7 and with my store mgrs working 100 hrs/week, and with over 100 employees, I was always under stress. .Because I had an outstanding resume, I came into 7-Eleven under a special program that expected outstanding performance. They got it...but it nearly killed me! Serious Evaluation was daily as there were numerous measurable quotas, audits, & reports. There was ZERO discrimination against women...the work environment was fair...but extremely difficult! If you're the type of person who likes "operations" instead of "sales" and likes to constantly be on the run, this is the job for you. Boredom was non-existant. "Politics" didn't exist either. 7-Eleven doesn't care if you're charming, or witty, or motivating. Can you work on your feet over 100 hrs/week and be on call 24/7? And can you work under constant stress, always feeling as though you're running 3 weeks behind? Can you produce outstanding results? Can you spend 100% of your thoughts on your 7_Eleven performance? Then this is the job for you. The pay is OK and you'll be treated fairly.

From Baltimore, MD — 11/09/2009

I work at a franchisee 7-11 in the better part of town. It is right next to a mall, not really in a neighborhood, and across the street from a police station, so it is very safe, and not too much trouble comes through. Most of the customers are decently nice and friendly. I've been working there about 3 and a half years now while I've been in college. I do paperwork and ordering on the weekend, and normal clerk work one day a week. This is about the easiest job ever, but people still manage to somehow screw it up.

From Alberta — 06/07/2009

Pay: Start around 11. Been there a while, took a couple easy tests to get 'certified' and now I make $15 2 years later. More the decent pay for a part time university student.

Respect: I have a great manager who has a lot of respect for her staff but I know that it's a rarity. As per customers, find another job if your looking for respect from them.

Beneifts: I get most of my dental/vision from my university so I am not sure of the quality, but I do know it's offered.

Job Security: Lets be realistic: You have to be really stupid to get fired from this job.

Work/life balance: Always willing to accomodate my schooling. Then when summer rolls around I'm guaranteed full time hours. I have a good manager though, and I know that there are some pretty bad one's out there who will abuse your kindness if you let them. It's a toss up really.

Career Potential: They like to promote within the company so there's tons of room for advancement. Though being on call 24/7 when you're on salary is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Location: Walk a block and you'll probably find one.

Co-worker competence: Lots of stupid people. Some cool people though. It can be hard to understand some of the newer immigrants, but they're usually good enough workers anyway.

Work environment: 711's do tend to get robbed. Haha.

From North, Texas — 07/31/2007

Pay: above minimum wage, usually to start. very small incremental increases each year(under a dollar, usually under fifty cents on yearly merit raises for all staff)
Respect: Unless you have a good manager or assistant manager there isn't alot.
Job Security: Turnover is high, very high for those beneath management
Work / Life balance: they are good at working with peoples schedules. bad managers (5o% of managers) find those who do the work for them and run them ragged
Career Potential / Growth: Lateral growth is possible to an extent through computerized training and tests taken - downside is that most people can pass a test even those who should not be placed in positions of authority - lateral growth into management positions is nearly non existant for existing employees
Location: Great -they are everywhere
Co-worker Competance- Most managers do as little as possible - a few good ones work their butts off. Most employees are put on shift after a few hours computer training.
Work Environment - sucks